My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Mar 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #496 of 773
I can't be arsed to read the whole thread (gave up around 11 or 12) so I'm sorry if it's be said before..

But, to those defending the mark up, I don't think it's the same. You can mark up bottles of water because they weigh a lot, and consequently the cost of storage and transportation because of size and weight is going to cost a lot relative to the price of the actual content. If you want to argue that R&D marketing and overhead and what have you makes it a reasonable markup, are you mad? R&D tends to be the most expensive part of an electronic or technology company, but R&D is there here when all the parts are cheap and readymade? Going to the local DIY shop and trying the wires? Researching the right sort of plastic plug to use? Why not compare it against, say, a 300 dollar (well it used to be 300 anyway) Gilmore Lite from headamp? How much do you think it costs to machine each of those cases of that quality, machine because those cases aren't available at the local DIY shop? Don't you think it's also a little more complex and thus time consuming to put together the components, components that by the way cost much more than 15 dollars. Hell I don't think that would even pay for half the resistors in there, never mind the power regulators, circuit board and what have yous.

Or why not try the average 3000 laptop? I can bet that it didn't cost 150 dollars to put together. A 3000 laptop would have to have a pretty mighty processors, processors that would probably cost around 150 dollars even purchased in the numbers that big name OEMs buy it for. The screen? Case? Optical and magnetic drives? Keyboard? Motherboard? RAM?

Seriously..

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #497 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by junkiefred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care how good or bad their products are. After reading the responses of VD representatives, I would never purchase a VD product.

Their rep recently offered me some VD cables to "try out" in PM. I let him know that I was happy with my current cables. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that offer meant.

See ya
Steve

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #498 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I don't like to look at myself as a sales person, or some kind of marketer. I am here to share my experiences and opinions with others.
As most of you might know I lived on this forum for about 5 years before becoming Acoustic Chef. I hang out here still because I adore this community.

I became a member of the VD team because I had too. After receiving one of their power cables to play with I fell in love and fought for ~6months to come hang out with the awesome crew here at VD, and I must say I am loving every second of it, while truly living the dream. Rick is the coolest guy you will ever meet and his cables are out of this world!
As I type this Rick is skipping around the room modeling his new artic cat gear showing off the advances in ass protection.
biggrin.gif

Now, Ragging on the cables is like ragging on my wife or kids because you think their ugly. And I REALLY don’t appreciate people hacking them to pieces and having their mutilated parts displayed in such a manner.

I’m honest, and a true member of the community. Appreciate it.
tongue.gif

Sorry for this out of date quote, but all hail to Acoustic Chef and his honesty. He can't be at all biased with that attitude ?!?!

Anyways, nice having some entertainment to read at work
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #499 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, to those defending the mark up, I don't think it's the same. You can mark up bottles of water because they weigh a lot, and consequently the cost of storage and transportation because of size and weight is going to cost a lot relative to the price of the actual content.

I feed the same about bottled water as I do about cables. Except in a few places that the water is not really safe to drink or has some safe, but awful tasting impurities. Bottled water is not better, and sometimes worse than tap water. Especially if you can let tap water sit for a day or two and let the chlorine gas out.

I recently read that Claridges Hotel in London has a bottled water bar that sells various waters for up to $2000 a glass
eek.gif

I could give other examples, but they'd be against forum rules

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #500 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, troll of 2 posts, I am not discussing the Power 3 (bottom of the line), but the Genesis, the top of the line. You haven't seen it or held it, or installed it or listened to it (or other cables of similar price tag), so you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Once again I am shocked by your lack of respect for others on this board.

Quote:

BTW, everyone who knows anything about cables (excludes you) knows Monster cables are the Bose of cables. All marketing, no performance. Abominable build quality, just open one up and take a lokk at the soldering job the 12 year old slave did.

I pretty sure it is comparable to the abominable quality of cord that was posted in the OP of this thread... for a cheaper price. Maybe you should open up that 'top of the line' Genesis and see if you can find simular quality control all the way up the line of VDs.

Now is the part where you talk down to me with little fact to back yourself up...

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #501 of 773
Did I get this right? -

Point 1-You can't comment on all of the VD cables if you have not used them all, yourself.

Point 2- All Monsters products suck.

Therefore Markl has listened to all Monster cables. Quite an accomplishment!

(I don't really care, having formed my own opinion on high end Bling Bling cables along time ago. Monsters are built well, though, and the wire isn't sourced from the local hardware store either! Puts Monster a step up on Virtual Dynamics in my book!)
eek.gif

Regarding UL - The individual conductors in the deceased VD power cord are probably UL listed wire, judging from the picture. (It would be printed in tiny letters on the insulation), however, if the cable is sold as an assembled product (and it is),the product must be submitted to UL as assembled, for product testing, as it will be marketed to the public, to receive UL listing. UL will then test it for flammability issues related to over voltage and over current conditions (caused by surges, brownouts, failed equipment, miss-use, etc.) Also electrical shock and safety issues are examined, such as durability under typical use, etc. The manufacturer pays for this testing, and it isn't cheap.

I don't believe cat mastication of cable is part of the testing, however.
Maybe UL should address this issue.

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #503 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their rep recently offered me some VD cables to "try out" in PM. I let him know that I was happy with my current cables. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that offer meant.

See ya
Steve

This type of activity (being solicited by PM from a vendor or manufacturer) is against the TOU and is a bannable offense. It fits right in with signing in under another username after being banned, as Acoustic Chef did.

If solicitations were OK, every MOT would be filling your inbox with PM's faster than a bunch of pigeons jumping on a crust of bread dropped by a person eating a sandwich in the park.

It just keeps getting better
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #504 of 773
I had no idea this was against the terms of use. This forum is full of people who have gotten "free" VD cables to "try out". Well, in any case... Since you apparently aren't aware of it, Acoustic Chef is back and he's still shilling under at least two new usernames. I'll let you know what they are if you're interested.

See ya
Steve

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #505 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no idea this was against the terms of use. This forum is full of people who have gotten "free" VD cables to "try out". Well, in any case... Since you apparently aren't aware of it, Acoustic Chef is back and he's still shilling under at least two new usernames. I'll let you know what they are if you're interested.

See ya
Steve

I just thought I would draw moderator attention to this post.

Definitely neither accurate nor cool...

-Brad

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #506 of 773
OK. In the interest of accuracy, here's the PM...

---------
Grizzlepaw
Sponsor
Virtual Dynamics

Subject: Wana try?
Date: 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Hello Bigshot,

I was wondering if you would like to try one of our cables?

If so could you let me know your system (all components)
--------

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #508 of 773
My motto is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I wonder how many people here on this forum have been made an offer like this and have accepted.

See ya
Steve

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #509 of 773
but.. "If it's free, it's for me"

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #510 of 773
all I can say is that Patrick swears by them.

enough said?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back