My cat eats cables
Oct 24, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #16 of 49
Why don't you get some Monster Cables... I'd bet that the cats will be afraid of it...
3000smile.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 49
Go pickup a roll of tape and roll the tape around the cable so the sticky side is facing outward. I guarantee your cat will learn its lesson really quick...they hate sticky tape.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Go pickup a roll of tape and roll the tape around the cable so the sticky side is facing outward. I guarantee your cat will learn its lesson really quick...they hate sticky tape.

winner!

EDIT - make sure you post pics as well

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco

I've seen some cats that go out of their way to find sticky tape to chew on (especially packing tape off of boxes / envelopes)...

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
I've seen some cats that go out of their way to find sticky tape to chew on (especially packing tape off of boxes / envelopes)...

I own 6 cats with my gf...not a single one of them liked tape...they hated it! If you have a cat that likes tape, then keep it away from them. One of our cats loves plastic. So its true that its hit or miss with them.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 49
Buy another cat, then execute it in front of the current one. He'll know who's boss then.

(joke)

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 49
Cats hate eucalyptus. My cat chewed thru my Hakko soldering iron cable awhile back. Got a new one and rubbed some eucalyptus oil on the cable. No more problem.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
One of my co-workers has a cat that used to chew on various cables. The cat finally stopped after nibbling on his computer's power cord. The cat was okay, somehow, and it has never nibbled on anything resembling a cord since.

Exactly, you just need cables that can carry more current,
evil_smiley.gif

In all seriousness find out what your cat doesn't like and try and use that to defend your cables. I think there have been some good suggestions here already.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 49
Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Do the cables taste better before or after burn in?

Have you tried a double blind test?

Burn in doesn't seem to affect cable preference, but the cat does show a decided liking for low voltage cables. It's chewed through quite a few of those, but hasn't touched a 110V cable yet. I would do a DBT on that, but I again, I rather like my cat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Instead of discipline, get the cables, as much as possible out of their way.

Also think about a second cat to keep it company and play with.

I'll probably end up doing that. Disciplining cats doesn't seem to work too well.

As for the second cat suggestion, already done. I got them both from the same litter in a sort of "Take one defective cat, get another defective cat free!" deal. Cable chewer has defective vocal cords, the other is missing 3/4's of it's tail. The other cat doesn't chew cables, but it does shreds toilet paper and wake me up in the middle of the night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Gilmore
This stuff is completely dog and cat proof up to animals of about
20 lbs. I have 5 dogs, somehow they figured out which were the
most expensive cables and chewed on them only.

Ah hah! Why didn't I think of that before... (Now to find a place that sells that stuff in bulk.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
Are you insane? Listen again. The dielectric constant of cat spit is significantly below 1. There is no doubt the cables now sound better. A cat chewed cable exhibits stunning bass, has the black background of a coal mine, and will transmit the signal at 99.9999% the light speed of light giving you the dynamics of a lightning strike.

My coworkers in neighboring cubes just came over to see why I was laughing.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
So one of my cat has gotten in the habit of eating cables. Anyone know of a good way to get it to stop? I've tried the usual disciplinary methods and spraying the cables with supposed cat repellant (active ingredient: methyl nonyl ketone), but it still gnaws on them.

If the cables are stationary (i.e connecting transport to DAC, etc) then you can put tin foil covering over the cable, they hate the feel and taste of it, and should leave your cables in safety..you can do this for the 4 feet of HP cable that dangles from your monitoring chair too, fyi.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 49
Give your cat something else to chew on. Like a German Shepard.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 49
In my extensive cat experience, cats will do whatever they want, whenever they want. And no gadget, spray, discipline, or other will make them change their behaviour, period.

The only way to win is:

1) Give the cats what they want.
2) Get rid of the cat.
3) Lock up any property you don't want them to destroy.

Since it appears you do not want to get rid of your cat, the only option you have that will 100% protect your headphone gear is to hide it in a locked case or drawer when not is use. Any other attempt to get the cat to stop chewing on your expensive gear will only end in tears - take it from a guy who knows.

Although I would never harm a cat, I have suggested it to others in jest before.
I would be lying if I said I haven't fantasized about killing my cats on occasion though.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
There's a spray you can get at any petco, or animal supply shop that's called "bitter apple" It's not hot sauce and it works to repel. My cat HATES mint. I've used some peppermint oil to do the same with him.

That's funny, one of my Cats treats the bitter apple as a freakin' condiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back