My cable test enterprise
Feb 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #421 of 438

Quote:
That's a pretty inappropriate thing for an admin to say about the dedication and careful effort displayed in this thread from one of Head-Fi's better contributors. Not to mention the other members who provided feedback and volunteered their own cables for this. IMHO too, of course. I for one value the research that's been done here.

Here we go again.  I am sorry I offended you or anyone else for that matter.  I am entitled not only to my opinion, as are you, but I am entitled to express my opinion, as are you.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #422 of 438
I appreciate Nick_charles' efforts as well and have contemplated the odd thought about buying some expensive cables, including some I have no doubt cause distinct tonal changes in the sound, and having them sent to him to see what results he gets.  I'd want more than 1024 samples done though, but that's me.  I'm the kind of person who'd want to do the experiments in a room deep underground with battery-supplied power ... you can imagine the rest, but the kind of place where there can be zero doubt of anything else interfering.

However, regardless that kwkarth is an admin, he is entitled to voice his own opinion as a member.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #423 of 438

Quote:
...  I'm the kind of person who'd want to do the experiments in a room deep underground with battery-supplied power ... you can imagine the rest, but the kind of place where there can be zero doubt of anything else interfering.

" Mister President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #424 of 438

Quote:
What a colossal waste of bandwidth and space, not to mention time.  IMHO  
tongue.gif

Are you trolling?  I think nick's post might be the single best/most informative post I've ever read on this forum.  Certainly better than all the "This ALO cable with 16 wires per channel made the sound 'open up'" posts that flood threads you participate heavily in.

Nick, where are you located?  I might be willing to lend you my Audeze LCD-2 to do listening tests with so people can't say you "can't hear a difference because you're using crap".  It uses magical orthodynamic technology!!  It is also considered by and large a superior ortho to what Lee is using, so perhaps if you hear no differences with it his system isn't resolving enough to hear the lack of differences. :wink:  PM me if you're interested.  

I think I have some pretty good equipment, but I can't say I've ever heard a difference between cables or many other things that get thousands of posts on this forum.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #425 of 438

Quote:
Are you trolling?  I think nick's post might be the single best/most informative post I've ever read on this forum.  Certainly better than all the "This ALO cable with 16 wires per channel made the sound 'open up'" posts that flood threads you participate heavily in.

Nick, where are you located?  I might be willing to lend you my Audeze LCD-2 to do listening tests with so people can't say you "can't hear a difference because you're using crap".  It uses magical orthodynamic technology!!  It is also considered by and large a superior ortho to what Lee is using, so perhaps if you hear no differences with it his system isn't resolving enough to hear the lack of differences. :wink:  PM me if you're interested.  

I think I have some pretty good equipment, but I can't say I've ever heard a difference between cables or many other things that get thousands of posts on this forum.

Why do you people keep bringing up the same single post for which I've already apologized?  Are you trolling?

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #426 of 438
Nick, I have a Silver High Breed Synergy 2 IC, It was the last 'audiophile' cable I will ever by. SHB were flavour of the month on the What Hifi Forum, and I was sucked into the idea that a silver IC would sound brighter. Later comparisons with 2 copper ICs found that to not be the case.

I am happy to send it to you, if you are needing another cable for this enterprise.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #427 of 438
Thanks for the offer but I am done with this enterprise. If anyone else wants to take this on I will happily donate my (better) recording device and a pair of $70 silver RCA cables, anyone interested can PM me.

Quote:
Nick, I have a Silver High Breed Synergy 2 IC, It was the last 'audiophile' cable I will ever by. SHB were flavour of the month on the What Hifi Forum, and I was sucked into the idea that a silver IC would sound brighter. Later comparisons with 2 copper ICs found that to not be the case.

I am happy to send it to you, if you are needing another cable for this enterprise.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #429 of 438
It is an Edirol UA-1EX - I've was looking for something better but finding something that is VERIFIABLY better and supports RCA analog inputs and can be connected to a PC via USB has proven tricky, and understandably so, why on earth would anyone rational want to take the analog outs from a digital device such as a CD player and then re-digitize them all over again when you can rip a CD in 10 minutes ?

Quote:
What's your recording device?

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #430 of 438

Quote:
It is an Edirol UA-1EX - I've was looking for something better but finding something that is VERIFIABLY better and supports RCA analog inputs and can be connected to a PC via USB has proven tricky, and understandably so, why on earth would anyone rational want to take the analog outs from a digital device such as a CD player and then re-digitize them all over again when you can rip a CD in 10 minutes ?

Digitizing vinyl?

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #432 of 438

Quote:
I'd use the line out from a phono-stage into an 1/8 inch line-in on a built-in soundcard. Not many internal soundcards have twin RCA inputs.

Yeah, but if you're concerned about the quality of your cable and don't want to spend another $500 on an RCA to mini-TRS cable...

But seriously, you're right.  1/8" jacks are smaller and presumably even cheaper to manufacture, so there's little benefit in using RCA cables in a card.

Honestly, following the same arguments, the same should hold true for the rest of audio line level connections.  It appears that HDMI is going to eliminate most RCA cables for consumers, but it still would have seemed like the user-friendliness of a line-level TRS connection standard would have benefited everyone except monoblock users...

But I guess old standards die hard.

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #434 of 438

Quote:
I appreciate Nick_charles' efforts as well and have contemplated the odd thought about buying some expensive cables, including some I have no doubt cause distinct tonal changes in the sound, and having them sent to him to see what results he gets.  I'd want more than 1024 samples done though, but that's me.  I'm the kind of person who'd want to do the experiments in a room deep underground with battery-supplied power ... you can imagine the rest, but the kind of place where there can be zero doubt of anything else interfering.

However, regardless that kwkarth is an admin, he is entitled to voice his own opinion as a member.

Interesting that your standards for evidence could be so stringent in the one case, and so loose in the other. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #435 of 438

Quote:
Interesting that your standards for evidence could be so stringent in the one case, and so loose in the other. 

That is a definition of being human
wink.gif
, we are all inclined to be more critical of a position we do not agree with it, this is a universal and nobody is wholly immune from it, the trick is being aware of your own biases, this is decidedly non-trivial, any position must be open to robust scrutiny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back