"My Bose are better than your Beyers." how do I respond to this?!
Feb 21, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #77 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Ancient proverb I believe....

"He who knows the most, says the least."

I know, I should reduce the size of my posts. Great quote though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Walk away. Anyone who attaches their pride and self-worth to a set of headphones is obviously trying to compensate in other areas where they are deficient...in this case, "social skills."

Agreed! Same goes with expensive cars and other miscellaneous crap.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
"Can you hear the sound of one hand clapping?"

You probably won't belive me, but I can actually clap with one hand, and using no other opposing surface but the same hand. It really messes with peoples' heads.

Zen-ish quote:
"If an
rs1smile.gif
occurs in the middle of nowhere, will anyone post their impressions of it on HeadFi?"
Funny, in a geeky sort of way.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #78 of 107
I ran into this situation myself once, albeit under different circumstances. I work as a volunteer sound technician at my church, and I always had my Beyers with me for mixing on our 24 ch Ramsa Sr4424 mixer. One day, after mass was over, the guitarist comes up to me and says he is going to buy some Bose QC2s because he is going on a long flight for a business trip, and he kept talking about how they blocked out noise. All I could think was, "Oh jeez!" But in reality I just shrugged it off and went on my way (mostly because I didn't want to argue).

Mind you, the QC2s are overpriced, and probably don't sound too great (I've never heard them, personally.) What it comes down to is not ignorance, but a simple lack of information. People don't do enough research in order to get what they want. And even if they did, on a website like this, a pro-Bose owner wouldn't stand a chance. And of course, if you go to the Bose website, they give every reason and the next (mostly just a bunch of gimmic) why the QC2s are so great.

So the problem is, not only do people react out of simple mis-, or under- information, but when they try to do research, looking for a straight answer leads them to biased, slanted, or just plain wrong reviews. E.g., buyer A buys QC2s. They have only heard other $20 headphones before, which are no better than open cans at isolating. For the first time in their lives, they put on headphones which (to them) block out a fair amount of noise. Buyer A then writes a glamorous review about the QC2s, who loves them. In turn, Buyer B reads the review, and buys them off of Buyer As recommendation. Attitude can wreack havoc. If you think the QC2s are good, you will look for the good. If you think they are bad, you look for the bad.

Is it any wonder Bose gets away with what they do? The only real way to know for sure what you're hearing is good, is to compare it with several other headphones. But how many people have the time, money, and effort to do so? I see many people on Head-Fi have run in to others who know of Grado. But how many non-head-fiers in the world know of AKG, Sennheiser, Alessandro, Beyerdynamic, Stax, Audio Technica, and so on? These companies don't advertise, and that is to their own loss, IMO, because people go on what they know, and don't put hours and hours of effort into research.

These people want the best, I'm sure. But they don't know how to get it, so they convince themselves that what they have and see is good, until something comes along their way that is better. And while people associate more $$$ with better (and that is generally the case, despite what some say around here), the high price alone makes them feel satisfied.

As far as Bose goes, there is better for less, yes. But people don't see that without research (information) into what else is out there. Realise that not everyone is into this hobby like we are! They just want MUSIC, they may not care about the details and intricacy- to them, it is trivial at best. And what really is best anyway? There is no "ultimate" headphone that everyone agrees upon. Bose is a company that has taken advantage of this, marketed it well, and sells products with huge profit margins. By our standards, this is blasphemy!! But as a company, Bose is very successful, and just like Apple, has huge profit margins.

Anyway, sorry for my incessant rambling. I guess the jist of it all is "Knowledge is power."

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandoj
It's fun to see the varying levels of maturity in posts here.
rolleyes.gif

I agree. This thread says a lot about how people deal with others, and how open minded they are. Some comments are uncalled for, while others are generally helpful. A very fun read!
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #80 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Congratulate him on finding a headphone that pairs so well with his system, and be grateful for what you have.

BW

Exactly....I find arguing this kind of thing isn't worth the effort. If he's happy with them (even for reasons you don't agree with), I doubt you'll change his mind. Be happy, that you're happy.

Scott

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #81 of 107
"My Bose are better than your Beyers." how do I respond to this?! "

------------------------------------------------------------------------

They maybe a sick or kinky kind of person. Either way, stay away from them. You don't know where they have been.
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #82 of 107
yo, don't get so worked up about that kid, let him think what he wants, having him come to head-fi and read what people say about bose and then he might actually figure out that his headphones suck

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #83 of 107
BOSE Do Suck. Let them read this. BOSE HEADPHONES REALLY SUCK. THEY ARE SO BAD I BET EVEN THE SHURE AND ETY EARPHONES UNDER $120 SOUND BETTER THAN THOSE HUGE PIECES OF.....

I am pretty shure (yes Shure) many will agree the ER6i, and maybe the E2c (Which I haven't heard) sound better than triport, and meybe even the QC2. The Bose sound horrible, in comparison to my E3, which are half the price of the BOSE QC2. Plus the little shures and etys also last longer, block out more sound, and are smaller than earphones, which are way smaller than the BOSE.

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #84 of 107
Mr. Iriver:

No matter how childishly you posted what you said, you actually are correct.

I have the E3Cs, and I have tried the E2's - both of them beat the TriPorts. And I doubt that the noise-canceling headphones sound any better.

Terrible value for the money.. but Bose WOULD be acceptable if they didn't manipulate you so much - or at least try to.

I mean, they may be overpriced, but so is a lot of things in the audio industry. Their problem is marketing and false advertising, making people think they are the best when they are actually one of the worst. And ON TOP of that, their price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio is absolutely terrible.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #85 of 107
I could have sworn about 8 months ago here on Head-Fi someone posted a couple very detailed links that described what a scam Bose was and how horrible their products were considering their cost. It may have been on their home products though, not headphones. It was a very detailed and technical article if I recall. Perhaps someone remembers?

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #86 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Consider that the dB rating at which Bose QC/QC2's actively isolate noise is virtually no different than a set of closed cans with a decent seal.

Indeed. I find that most of the "magic" of the QC2 is that they are a well-sealed closed phone. The active noise cancellation only plays a minor role.

Quote:

Also, note that Canalphones for the most part far exceed any isolation rating that any other phones can provide, active or passive.
The QC2's might do 15db if you are lucky, the ER6 do the at least the same or better for half the price, and the ER4S do like 25dB or something like that. That's alot of isolation, and you don't need a power supply to achieve it.

Yes, but some people just don't like canalphones. Doesn't matter how good they are; I still hate sticking things in my ear. Canalphones are simply not an option.

Quote:

Besides that, Sennheiser and Sony make active isolators that do what Bose does for far cheaper.

Could be. In my case, nothing could be cheaper than free.

Quote:

Besides that, I don't consider Bose to be a step forward in audio, there's nothing progressive about their junk to me. And I used to be a Bose fanatic!
If I knew better, I would have never gotten into Bose and subsequently bought gear that would have been more enjoyable, perhaps even to this day.

Been there, done that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Just letting you feel the power of my ranting. Please take no offense to it,

Yes, it is therapeutic isn't it... Take offense? Bah! [govenator] Your ranting was quite weak, girly man! [/govenator]
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #87 of 107
In relation to how to respond to "that"... cry your freaking head off for the doom that humanity has had planted squarly on its shoulders stricktly from the cognasense of the young man you know who represents the uninformed standard of life that is the human condition. ---I don't know a thing about linens, but I know my sheets are better than yours, even though they arent!--- Damn, if only every one knew everything, too bad, guess we will have to live with beeing people for a little while longer and just wait for that great glorious and glamorous day when we all turn in to liberals.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #88 of 107
After working at CC and having my Dad and all his brothers and their offspring develop into full fledged Bose-heads, I've learned the only thing you can say is, "Good for you", and return to listening to your superior setup.

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #89 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dawg
Could be. In my case, nothing could be cheaper than free.

Well, free is great, no matter what the product(drugs and stolen goods aren't exempt
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Too bad you didn't get some Grados for free, that would have been something to really savor, especially SR325's or RS1's, which I dream of listening to. Aluminum, sweet aluminum!
There is only one Bose product I will ever still have any respect for, the 171's. Too bad they no longer exist outside my ownership for the most part, and Japan, where Bose has to change their standards to be competitive. Maybe people in Japan don't like Bose's American junk so they went the quality route?
confused.gif
some of the time,
Abe

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #90 of 107
The correct response is to beat seven shapes of sh!t out of him the next time you catch him flipping through youre desk and mocking your gear. Do not attempt to convert a moron. They will always win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back