My Beyer DT-990 (600ohm) arrived today.
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tiramisu515

Head-Fier

Dear Forum friends,

My Beyer DT-990 (600ohm) just arrived today. Can't wait to show to all here.

Thanks for this great forum which educated me alot on head-fi.

After reading and hearing some phones, I decided on the DT-900(ohm) for musicality, the advantages of being a 600ohm and great dollar value.

I got mine from amazon.com at USD$229.00. In all, about 50% cost saving vs retail shop in Singapore. Yes I am from Singapore. This baby travelled from Germany to US and finally to a proud and happy owner in Singapore. I am sure this can would give me many years of music pleasure.

My next journey is to select a amp for this baby.

LD Mk IV SE and Schiit Valhalla are next in my shopping list... please give me your comment, opinion.

Thanks for all the wonderful write ups, critiques, reviews, personal opinions and sharing here. I look forward to walk the journey with you guys here to discover the world of head-fi.

warmest regards

tiramisu515

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 23
Congrats. Personally I didn't like the dt990 I tried (was 32ohm I believe). Maybe 600ohm will be better, but I doubt I would still like it. I am not a basshead at all. Now you must buy a good amp to power those
biggrin.gif
 Maybe try looking for a used Woo Audio 3.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 23
Last summer I had the opportunity to try both the 250 and 600 ohm versions of the DT990. I liked the 600 ohm version much better. The 250 ohm had too much bass and treble emphasis for my taste. Good choice in the 600 ohm. Have fun!

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 23
I use the DT990/600 and Woo 3 combo.  It's awesome.  Absolutely nothing to complain about or leave me wanting.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:

Dear Forum friends,

My Beyer DT-990 (600ohm) just arrived today.

Congrats. Very nice price, great value IMO. Just last night I got to hear a friends 990/600 and I thought it was very nice.

...then I broke out my T1 
evil_smiley.gif

But at 4 times the cost the T1 had better impress.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
congrats on your new phones, and welcome to team beyerdynamic.

enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Thanks TheWuss

I didn't know there is a "team beyerdynamic".
atsmile.gif
. I am therefore quite sure then there is a team AKG or Senns too.

Hope to have a good stay here. Bro/Sis here running on beyer, please let me know how you are running your phones. What amps? Hope to learn more from you guys.

I would like the Woo Audio Wa3, but it doesn't offer value for money to ship to Singapore, the shipping charges are quite costly plus Woo Audio adds a 3% surcharge for using Pay Pal etc. In addition, I have pay custom tax of another 7% for bringing in to my country.

As for Little Dot, the Mk IV SE is less expensive, shipping charges from is much cheaper, no paypal charges. Overall, it is cheaper per se and cheaper shipping charges.

As for Schiit Valhalla, It is the most value for money, it comes with 5 year warranty and has a local distributor for local support. May have a promotional launch which offers even greater value.

However, I hope to hear more from Little Dot and Woo Audio users here on their combi with the beyer please.

Lastly, there is another amp, Cayin HA-1A that available in Singapore and I think it is value for money. It is about $535 USD vs  USD$750 is US? Anyone got any experience on this one?

Regards

Tiramisu515

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 23
Used ones pop up every now and then in the F/S thread here.

Quote:

Thanks TheWuss

I would like the Woo Audio Wa3, but it doesn't offer value for money to ship to Singapore, the shipping charges are quite costly plus Woo Audio adds a 3% surcharge for using Pay Pal etc. In addition, I have pay custom tax of another 7% for bringing in to my country.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 23
I have a similar experience.  I first paired the Woo 3 with the DT880/250 (2005), and it was very good.  But, some rock songs sounded dead.  Enter the DT990/600, problem solved.  Rock is alive and well in the world again.

Quote:
 I bought a W3 when I joined. The W3 was for  2003 DT-880/250. I sold the 880 due to recessed mids but I still have the W3 which drives the T1 nicely.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 23
Congrats on your new headphones! I'm a fellow Singaporean, Head-Fier and beyerdynamic user (I have the 880/250/2005 Edition). I liked the 990 during auditions, but lacked the cash to buy it over the 880.

For what it's worth, I ran my 880 out of the Edge, now amp it with a Maverick TubeMagic D1, and will soon have a DIY tube amp courtesy of a friend. The 2 solid state amps were not too bad, but I get the feeling that the beyers can do better. Hence, the DIY amp.

I think you can audition the Schiit Asgard at Audio Iconic (Adelphi, B1-15). It's no Valhalla, but no harm trying it out eh?

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Congrats on your new headphones! I'm a fellow Singaporean, Head-Fier and beyerdynamic user (I have the 880/250/2005 Edition). I liked the 990 during auditions, but lacked the cash to buy it over the 880.

For what it's worth, I ran my 880 out of the Edge, now amp it with a Maverick TubeMagic D1, and will soon have a DIY tube amp courtesy of a friend. The 2 solid state amps were not too bad, but I get the feeling that the beyers can do better. Hence, the DIY amp.

I think you can audition the Schiit Asgard at Audio Iconic (Adelphi, B1-15). It's no Valhalla, but no harm trying it out eh?

Hi Eric,

Nice to see a fellow S'porean in this forum.

I tried the 880 (250ohm and 600ohm) with the Edge combination, but didn't like it. The Edge is a not the ideal amp I feel for any high end headphones. You got the edge/beyer combi. The edge was like given out free right? I almost got the combi too, but I know I wouldn't be happy with the set up.

Of the two headphones I tried, I prefer the 600ohm version. It's less harsh, smoother, more controlled, and deeper bass extension. I tried the 990 (250ohm) and I prefer it to the 880 (250 ohm). The 990 (600 ohm) is not available at the shops but I believe it would sound better than the 250. Therefore, when I saw the amazing deal at amazon.com , I quickly order it online. Their service was tip top. Vpost was too. I got my 990 in 8 days in total.

My heart tell me the Valhalla, it should drive the 990 (600ohm) without problem being higher voltage than the Asgard. Also being OTL tube design, it provides the power and silkiness for the beyer, I can't wait to hear the sound. Furthermore, it comes with a 5 year warranty. That's service!

I am now gonna create a little corner in my living room for my new head-fi set up.... Will post some pics when ready...

Thanks for the look up. Will chat more of course.

Warmest regards

Tiramisu515

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Congrats. Very nice price, great value IMO. Just last night I got to hear a friends 990/600 and I thought it was very nice.

...then I broke out my T1 
evil_smiley.gif

But at 4 times the cost the T1 had better impress.

yeah, just got the 990/600s and only briefly compared the two, but the t1s sure seemed to smoke them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back