My bemusement at ipod bashing
Dec 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Another in a long line probably but I just wanted to have my say and express my befuddlement as to why ppl are so downputting on ipods for their SQ. I have here in my possesssion, a sony NWZ-A829, which I own, and then an array of 6 other DAP's I'm side-testing and trialing with a view to purchase at least one of them off Advancedmp3players.co.uk. They are, the Sony NWZ-S639, Samsung YP-Q1, Ipod Classic 6.5G (120GB), Ipod Nano 4G (16GB), Cowon D2, with DAB radio functionality, 16GB and the Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB, all of which, except the Samsung Q1- not a fan of the UI but will examine more thoroughly- and Sony S639- recieved a week later than other players on order due to a last minute stock run out- I have listened to quite extensively, and I have to say, I'm amazed as to why ppl pan the ipod Classic's SQ!

I will say, that comparatively to the nano and D2, it can seem lacking a certain sparkle and glitter and shimmer that they possess in the mids-highs, and, comparatively to the Fuze it lacks the robustness and brilliant defintion of bass that that players thumps out- N.B.// this is all with an 120 Ohm resistor adaptor and with the UE's Triple Fi pro 10's headphones/IEM's. It lacks anythin particulary special but it does everything proficiently and adeptly, just, and this is only when going from one of the aforementiond, singled-out players to it, ie, you do quickly adjust to the classic's sound sig, nothing exceptionally. Otherwise, whilst it's highs may be more subdued/darkened and/or distant than and/or quicker decaying than say those provided by the D2 or nano, they are nonethesless very much there and not particulary rolled-off at all, just that little bit more stifled and darkly presented. The ipod's overall sound to me is very neutral, with no one area of the frequency range recieving any real accentuation of note; bass, mids, highs all reproduced at a good, pretty much level to one another, volume. The sound appears to have a slight colur and/or veil to it but this is part of it's sound sig and sound distinction and isn't really an affect on sound quality. It affects sound clarity slightly, being more translucent than transparent say, but the quality is still very good to my ears. Also, another minor quibble may be that, on occasions, it's vocal presentation can be a little constricted and in the head. However, given it's massive memory advantage and potential for an amp if I am to buy one in future, though I might prefer some of the other DAP's sound over it, somewhat, its easily acceptable enough to me to be considered as a keeper over the others for those reasons coupled with a decent SQ. More testing to do though
smile_phones.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see much iPod-bashing on these forums. Most people seem to acknowledge that iPods generally have at least acceptable sound.

You make a valid point. However, that was the impression I got when I first joined these forums. You still see it here and there. As I said, the purpose of this was really of a selfish notion; to establish my own thoughts and feelings on the ipod sound and to dispel the poor impression I had got in my head from other ppl.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 112
With more ipod owners than probably any other player I guess it's law of averages at play.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 112
heck I own an Ipod video 80GB and shuffle gen 1. I just do not like proprietary codecs, iTunes, and lack of radio. I listen to NPR quite a lot.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With more ipod owners than probably any other player I guess it's law of averages at play.

You're probably right. I saw a reasonable number of threads bashing ipods SQ and recommending looking at others players such as Sony and Cowon and Samsung when I was first in the market for a dap 6-7 months ago. Just had to shrug that impression I'd gotten off my shoulders.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see much iPod-bashing on these forums. Most people seem to acknowledge that iPods generally have at least acceptable sound.

I stopped reading this section several months ago because I was so tired of iPod SQ-bashing threads. I now only come here when I see something in "new posts". So yeah, there was plenty of it.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heck I own an Ipod video 80GB and shuffle gen 1. I just do not like proprietary codecs, iTunes, and lack of radio. I listen to NPR quite a lot.

If you had an iPod Touch or iPhone, there's a free app that streams KPCC (one of LA's NPR stations) over the Internet. KPCC has a few local shows but carries most NPR programming.

And I think iPod SQ is good for what it is. I use it for a portable and jack it into the car stereo.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 112
but when I carry my shuffle, I feel I am missing something, so i also carry my sony am/fm radio with me. I am debating whether I should open the Ipod video and rockbox it or ebay it. It is still new in the box.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 112
If Apple hadn't ended the contract with Synaptics for their clickwheels, and there was a less battery-slaying alternative to iTunes than Rockbox, I'd still have an iPod.

also... >.>

Bloodsugar00 readies Wall of Text.
Bloodsugar00 uses Wall of Text.
synaesthetic takes 9048 points of damage.
synaesthetic dies.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 112
I haven't owned any Nano's, but I have owned two 4G's and two 5G's (30 and 80GB, respectively). I guess everyone is subjective, but I was very underwhelmed with them. I ended up selling them all, because of this - I tested the OF and also Rockbox.

I've read many posts about iMods, and I suspect it would be an improvement. But, the iPod's as-is, with the cans I have, didn't hold a candle to either my Gigabeat F or D2 in terms of SQ. Again, just my opinion.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 112
I pretty much find that your assessment of the iPod Classic is very close to how I feel about my iPod Touch 2G's sound quality (which uses a Cirrus Logic DAC also). This is when listening to it unamped with Westone 3's. I also feel you nailed the difference between the sound of the Sansa AMS-powered devices (I own a Sansa Clip) and the Cirrus Logic-powered iPods.

Very well put impressions.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't owned any Nano's, but I have owned two 4G's and two 5G's (30 and 80GB, respectively). I guess everyone is subjective, but I was very underwhelmed with them. I ended up selling them all, because of this - I tested the OF and also Rockbox.

I've read many posts about iMods, and I suspect it would be an improvement. But, the iPod's as-is, with the cans I have, didn't hold a candle to either my Gigabeat F or D2 in terms of SQ. Again, just my opinion.

One thing to pay attention to is the fact that after the fifth generation hard-drive iPods, Apple switched from using Wolfson DACs to Cirrus Logic DACs. Beside having a lower noise floor, it seems that a lot of users here believe there is major improvement in sound quality. I can't guarantee that you will like the newer generation iPods either, but it's something worth noting.
wink.gif

I have not listened carefully to any previous generation iPods so I cannot offer any comparison myself.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 112
The problem with the ipod sound is that it's just flat and seems to suck out all the excitement from the headphones. Some people are a fan of this sound, but not me. Plus soundstage seems to be a lot smaller in the ipod. This is a problem common to most DAPs and the Fuze/Clip seems to be the only DAP that presents soundstage well.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the ipod sound is that it's just flat and seems to suck out all the excitement from the headphones. Some people are a fan of this sound, but not me. Plus soundstage seems to be a lot smaller in the ipod. This is a problem common to most DAPs and the Fuze/Clip seems to be the only DAP that presents soundstage well.

same for sony s639f. nice soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back