my balanced Grado GS1000 vs unbalanced Hp-2
Sep 6, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Since I now own both headphones, it would be nice to compare them.
I am still a bit of a noob with headphone terms.
I am sure other people might have had the chance to compare them with one another. I am really proud to have them both.

First I tested the GS1000 in unbalanced mode, I found out that the Gs1000 really needs the balanced gain to be adequate enough to compare it with an unbalanced Hp-2!

I compared my Hp-2 with my balanced Gs1000 and I found out that Gs1000's soundstage adds more levels to the bass. I feel that the bass is more alive with the Gs1000. Especially when hearing the bass of live Bob Marley music - Bob Marley Babylon by Bus (with reggae music you can hear a continuous bass which makes it really good music to compare a headphone bass). For the mean time, I can't add any other sound characteristics (that's why I am a bit of a noob).

I like both headphones very much!

I would like to compare a balanced Hp-2 with a balanced GS1000, so I will certainly send my Hp-2 to Moon-Audio for balanced 3-pin Xlr termination (I can't do it myself and I tried the DIY forum as well) in a couple of months.

I don't know if a balanced Hp-2 will out perform a balanced Gs1000.
Sometimes it's hard to compare headphones, especially when they are so good in sound. I don't know if the bass will get better in levels after balanced termination (just like a balanced Gs1000 generates live bass after balanced operation).

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 13
I also tried Gs1000 pads on the Hp-2. The Hp-2 really needs it's stock pads, the Hp-2 phones are too far away from the ears with the Gs1000 pads. The Hp-2 really needs to be close to the ears.

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 13
When I compare the 2 headphones to my other rig (view the signature), then I have to conclude that none of the 2 headphones can out perform the Akg k1000 RWA Sig 30.2 combo!

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compare the 2 headphones to my other rig (view the signature), then I have to conclude that none of the 2 headphones can out perform the Akg k1000 RWA Sig 30.2 combo!

compared to the Akg K1k rig without the subwoofer! Of course with the subwoofer enabled it wouldn't be fair to compare the cans.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 13
I have 2 Akg k1k's. Maybe after I have some decent speakers, I might sell one Akg 1k on Head-Fi - both are Stefan AudioArt hardwired with an Equinox extension cable. I don't have any immediate plans to buy a pair of speakers. I wouldn't pay more then $800 USD for a pair of speakers. I might be interested in a pair of Aci Emerald speakers.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I compared my Hp-2 with my balanced Gs1000 and I found out that Gs1000's soundstage adds more levels to the bass. I feel that the bass is more alive with the Gs1000. Especially when hearing the bass of live Bob Marley music - Bob Marley Babylon by Bus (with reggae music you can hear a continuous identical bass which makes it really good music to compare a headphone's bass). For the mean time, I can't add any other sound characteristics (that's why I am a bit of a noob).

My balanced amp allows me to test the 2 headphones simultaneously. This allows me to switch the headphones at any time.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

compared to the Akg K1k rig without the subwoofer! Of course with the subwoofer enabled it wouldn't be fair to compare the cans.

It just depends on the taste you have on a given day.
I like the GS1000 as much as the Akg K1k!
Sometimes it's like you are comparing apples with ...
The Akg K1k is not really a headphone, it's an ear speaker. While the Gs1000 is really a headphone.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
****, man, do I miss my K1000, ****...

I have started an IC thread for one of my Akg's
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/ic...il-end-361935/

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Interesting thread! I like the way you've carried on the conversation with yourself. I feel like doing that at times myself.

I've got a single ended pair of HP-2 as well as balanced GS-1000 also but have never had the chance to do any comparisons between the two of them. Until recently, I had been waiting a long time to get a balanced amp, but even now that I have one, it's still not here in Cayman yet! But soon, I hope. Then I'll do some of these same comparisons myself. I've never actually had a chance to hear my pair of GS-1000, although I've liked the other ones I've heard.

I do agree that the HP-2 is not terribly strong in the bass region, but I think it's a very clear and well defined bass. So at least what you do get is pretty good.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread! I like the way you've carried on the conversation with yourself. I feel like doing that at times myself.

I've got a single ended pair of HP-2 as well as balanced GS-1000 also but have never had the chance to do any comparisons between the two of them. Until recently, I had been waiting a long time to get a balanced amp, but even now that I have one, it's still not here in Cayman yet! But soon, I hope. Then I'll do some of these same comparisons myself. I've never actually had a chance to hear my pair of GS-1000, although I've liked the other ones I've heard.

I do agree that the HP-2 is not terribly strong in the bass region, but I think it's a very clear and well defined bass. So at least what you do get is pretty good.

Thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif

My english is getting better.
Indeed, that's why I definitelly want to keep the Hp-2 for at least a year. I have sent the Hp-2 to Moon-Audio for XLR Black Dragon re-cabling.

I have read and heard that the Gs1000 - the GS1k must have balanced terminations of course - get's a nice "boost" when connected to a balanced rig. I am pretty aware of that, because I can hear it by myself (I can compare the identical - only have one pair - GS1000 in balanced mode and unbalanced mode - with a XLR-1/4' adapter).

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I would like to compare a balanced Hp-2 with a balanced GS1000, so I will certainly send my Hp-2 to Moon-Audio for balanced 3-pin Xlr termination (I can't do it myself and I tried the DIY forum as well) in a couple of months.

I don't know if a balanced Hp-2 will out perform a balanced Gs1000.
Sometimes it's hard to compare headphones, especially when they are so good in sound. I don't know if the bass will get better in levels after balanced termination (just like a balanced Gs1000 generates live bass after balanced operation).

I won't be able to compare a balanced Hp-2 vs a balanced GS1000 because I decided to sell the Hp-2.
You can find out why at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...-cable-361325/

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you get a chance to compare yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back