My audio quest is at an end...?
Apr 5, 2002 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
After Royal Mail delivered my package from JMT yesterday I just haven't been able to stop listening to it...

Basically my setup is my PCDP, the JMT amp, and a pair of Sony MDR-V6... I can't believe the phenomenal depth and more importantly clarity of the bass (and the hi-end PCDP does add to the sound)... So speakerlike - unbelievable!!

and, well - just the whole mix sounds so perfect to me
biggrin.gif
- Yes, it could be new toy hype - but I doubt it - both my brother and my dad have listened to this, and I had to literally force the setup off of them... and (extra especially with my very fussy dad) that has never happened before!!

So - the quest is over... maybe its an anti-climax to some of you, with me having such a cheap final setup... but - such is life
smily_headphones1.gif

I could have a little sweep-stake on here, seeing how long you guys think it'll be before I upgrade again... but, the more important question would be - what would I upgrade to?

Are there any other people here who have climbed the audio tree, and been happy to fall back down? - Should I be locked up? Would anyone like my main rig? (joke) - all these questions and many more will be answered below...

Apr 5, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Do you have the Beyer pads on the V6? And maybe you should get some super-high-quality batteries or an upgraded wall-wart, depending on which you use right now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nah, that's a good rig. Just get rid of your curiosity right now.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 11
lol DHWilkin...

Even though I've only had the 'phones for 28 hours... I'm going out on the prowl tomorrow for those replacement pads (Beyer DT250 - Yeah??)... and uprated batteries? I'm currently using a Sony Alkaline battery?!

I have no idea how you'd swap the pads over though? these look like they're stuck on firmly - and the last thing I'd wanna do is kill my V6 so soon
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Good lord. I thought once I got my hd580s/cmoy, I'd be done. Nope. Then I got a source. Now I'm going to get cardas cables, and I'll be getting an MG head as well!

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 11
duncan, get out, NOW, while you still can.

i'm glad you found a setup that works for you. i'm in the same boat as you with my d777/mzr50/d3 ->cha47 ->er6/v6/d66/cd1700. but of course you'l never be taken seriously until you get the hd600.
rolleyes.gif

i think the upgraded battery is for your cha47. also, you can pull the pads off the v6, it's actually pretty easy. afaiac, the beyer mods are optional, not needed until the pleather pads split.

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Good lord. I thought once I got my hd580s/cmoy, I'd be done. Nope. Then I got a source. Now I'm going to get cardas cables, and I'll be getting an MG head as well!

If you stop there, I think you're doing good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

It's funny, I have the HD580s, X-Can V2, Marantz CD63se and Audioquest Quartz III ICs, but I really don't like the sound compared to my 'new' setup, I guess I'm not a tube kinda chap... The sound is distant... I like an upfront sound... My Grados gave me that, but with the added trauma of colouration.

Sony & JMT for me
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Pcdp with v6? I can only imagine how gross that would sound to me.
biggrin.gif
You don't like the HD580+JMT combo? Try to get someone to make you a mini-mini cable using DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II.

andrew, now would be a good time to throw in the towel.

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Pcdp with v6? I can only imagine how gross that would sound to me.
biggrin.gif
You don't like the HD580+JMT combo? Try to get someone to make you a mini-mini cable using DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II.

I haven't tried the HD580s with the JMT - haven't felt the urge yet, but - I daresay that time will come...

as to the connecting cable - I'm currently using a 5m Ratshack one... Waaaaaaaaaaay too long for portable use... I'll bear your suggestion for a cable in mind
smily_headphones1.gif

and... the PCDP - well, you've heard all about it, my E905 - Its a great source - and we all know that the source is the most important part of the chain... you can degrade the sound, but you can't improve it... as you move through the chain
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 11
nice setup, duncan.

if you are happy, then I am very happy for you!
Once I get to the happy synergy point, I guess it would be time for tweaks! That would be the most fun, in my opinion!

Congratulations!

Driftwood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back