My Asus Essence STX is dead. What DAC to buy?
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

davidrf

New Head-Fier
Hi there, out of the blue my trusty Asus Essence STX began to emit a sort of static noise which almost drowns the normal audio signal (that is still there anyways). I've tried to do everything that came to my mind but to no avail. Now, what DAC would you suggest I buy? Please consider this:

- I don't care too much about video games
- My main reason to have a sound card / DAC is to listen to 2.0 music (mostly rock/blues/metal)
- It needs to have headphone output (I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600)
- I have 2.0 studio monitors with RCA input
- I record and produce music but for that I already have a Focusrite Scarlett.
- Budget is 200$ maximum

Thanks a lot!

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 11
topping dx3+

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Nothing for that money is going to do a good job with your Sennheisers. Might be a better idea to buy a used amp to run off your USB interface. Look for a used Valhalla 2.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Dx3+, earmen tr-amp or schiit modi/magni should do a good job....

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the answers but I was just wondering... could it be a problem like I described is given by a op-amp gone bad? Should I try to swap op-amps or that hiss/static noise has nothing to do with that? Thanks

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Check your cables and settings and if nothing found, then perhaps open a ticket with ASUS support.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 11
May 3, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 11
In the end I got three Burson V6 Vivid Dual op-amps to replace the faulty original ones (yes, they were two of them!) and I have to say I would have never guessed op-amps could make such a huge difference. Damn! Every single aspect has massively improved, from soundstage to clarity, to everything. I will soon try to write a full review, but damn.. I'm impressed.

May 3, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 11
It looks like you not just replaced some faulty op-amps, but you also upgraded from your old ones, which is a great sign. In your full review, compare the old and new op-amps and how manufacturing quality played a role in your new replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back