My Apartment Speakers Are Disturbing My Neighbors
May 1, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 29
Yea, I live in an apartment too, a subwoofer can cause some issues with the people above me, or even two floors above me(happened twice this year). I would definately say turn the bass below 50-60 hz down at most times except the middle of the day, cause at that time, let it sing.

May 1, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by yblocgerg
at most times except the middle of the day, cause at that time, let it sing.

OH YEA, I often work weekends & am off a day or two during the week and around midday I GO NUTS, for a little while.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 29
well, if it's really worth it to you, you can make your room into a semi-isolation booth. you gotta build a second floor with all the isolating components they have out there. also build walls with the same techniques. you'll need to look on the net for that stuff. but i seriously doubt you wanna go that extreme, but that's really all that's gonna stop the bass from bothering your neighbors.

i would suggest you talk to them and work out a schedule for playing your music. cause i doubt anything you do will stop the sound effectively, unless, like i said, you spend a couple $10grand to build an acoustically isolated room like the pro studios.

May 1, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Hey Guys !!

Thanks a lot !!

Well, I do not have problems w/ then YET !! But I need to do something. Normally I invite then home for a music section some times. They are good people but I know I'm disturbing then.

I'll try the sand bags and a cutoff on low freqs until I can move to a house...

Yes Ctn, a sub is the next step...

DarkAngel, I love my 3 way... but that's a solution to think...

Yeeteeh, thanks for the link but big things like this are difficult to bring then here. Thanks anyway.

Ampgalore.... I have four Mackie subs 15" as PA for rent... Will try then at home...
icon10.gif

Jee IpodStudio !! Not that far...
orphsmile.gif

Orpheus !! Long time... Well, new house costs less...
lambda.gif

Best for all, thanks again!!

Ari

May 1, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 29
The 50hz cut-off method is not that effective. I know because I've gone through this with a previous neighbour of mine. Now the biggest speakers I have at the moment are 4 inches wide and I keep the sub on the very lowest setting and I only use it for background music and radio.

She's at home most of the time, and 'thud-thud-thud' was annoying to her. She invited me to hear the noise (sound familiar?) over a tea, sitting quietly in the sitting room... and I could fully see her point. We tried a few things including turning down the bass frequencies but it came to a point where I was throttling the speaker's performance in the name of consideration. Not much point in even a half-decent rig when you can't let it blast. I understood it because if I wasn't in a mood to hear the music, that noise through the wall would piss me off too. 'Its not that bad' is highly subjective.

It's the reason why I switched to headphones.

May 1, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari
Hey Guys !!

Thanks a lot !!

Well, I do not have problems w/ then YET !! But I need to do something. Normally I invite then home for a music section some times. They are good people but I know I'm disturbing then.

I'll try the sand bags and a cutoff on low freqs until I can move to a house...

Yes Ctn, a sub is the next step...

DarkAngel, I love my 3 way... but that's a solution to think...

Yeeteeh, thanks for the link but big things like this are difficult to bring then here. Thanks anyway.

Ampgalore.... I have four Mackie subs 15" as PA for rent... Will try then at home...
icon10.gif

Jee IpodStudio !! Not that far...
orphsmile.gif

Orpheus !! Long time... Well, new house costs less...
lambda.gif

Best for all, thanks again!!

Ari

Ari, you're a good considerate guy and I wish there were more people like you on the planet. You actually consider (and realise) your neighbours right to peace when you play your music........ I applaud you for that.

Pinkie.

May 1, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
She invited me to hear the noise (sound familiar?) over a tea, sitting quietly in the sitting room... and I could fully see her point.

Was her "point" on full view??? was it covered by panties??? let's cut to the chase....... did you end up seeing her point close up??

Trust me to buy a detached house and miss out on all this neighbourly fun :frowning2:

Pinkie.

May 1, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 29
Hey Pinkie !!

Long time no see U man !! Good to hear from you !!

Welllll....some times yes.....some times no..... LOL...

YESSSSSS bangraman, Pinkie is right !!! Tell us the complete story, man !!!
etysmile.gif

Best

Ari

May 2, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 29
Our upstairs neighbour also uses headpnones; only problem is someone's given him a drum and drum sticks which he then taps the beat out on...I just put on my headphones and problem solved but I often see my wife glancing viciously towards the ceiling..
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 29
I think I have some sort of quite agreement with my direct neighbours. They will tolerate the occasional hour of insanity and my TV's sub, I will tolerate their taste in music (boomboomboomboomboomdinglelingelingleboomboomboom ), relatives, and choice of afternoon activities (such as drilling holes and banging nails into the wall).

Not having neighbours on more than one side is one of the reasons that kept me from moving, and I hope I will once be able to afford my own free-standing little ditch. It will have a boom-room for sure.

May 4, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #27 of 29
Off the neighbors.

Chip the bodies.

Remember to power-wash and steam the equipment (very important
biggrin.gif
)

Rent apartment to new neighbors, make sure they work late shift or are certified hearing-impared.

Wire land mines in apartment, while empty, just in case they lied about being on late shift.

---------------------------------------

Do I have to tell you humans everything???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back