My Apartment Speakers Are Disturbing My Neighbors
May 1, 2004 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All !!

I leave in an apartment and need some kind of insulation for my speakers so I don't disturb my neighbors.

How do you guys solve this problem? Any kind of "foot" to the speakers? They are big and heavy ones like, say.... a 55 gallon each. About that.

Any help?
confused.gif

Best

Ari

May 1, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 29
One word Ari, HEADPHONES!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, are you talking about decreasing the vibrations reaching your neighbors from your speakers or the sound itself? If your talking about vibrations, placing you speakers on sand bags might do the trick. Or some vibrapods might work.

May 1, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 29
Headphones.......while you look for a house to rent or buy.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 29
What your neighbors are hearing is your speakers bass which most easily passes through walls/floors/door etc........one solution if you have to live where you are now is to use quality 2-way monitors that only go to 50hz bass extension. This will allow you to play music louder without bothering neighbors vs 3 way speaker that extends bass below 40hz. Another option is just use equalizer and cut any bass below 50hz from large speakers.

I don't think there are any real quick fixes outside of that, if you don't have area rug under speakers this could help a little but bass is everywhere not just floor.

May 1, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
The best defence is offence.

Get a subwoofer.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

May 1, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 29
Do what they do in Russia. Hand your full size rugs on the walls and dampen the vibration. Try it on the side where your neighbors are. You may even save $$ on heating bills when it's cold.

cool.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 29
Not much can be done. You can buy them a set of foam earphones so they can sleep. Tried that foam on walls, corners etc.
I have neighbors that play their rave/club music till 2 am and they have a child. I can't do anything except to do stuff to their minivan. However they can also do stuff to me. That's the downside to apartment living. (nosey people, misdirected mail which they held and openned, slamming doors)
OH, the slamming doors is from them going outside for a smoke every half an hour, apparently their mommy doesn't let them smoke in the house. I get even by smoking my cigars by my window and doorway. I happen to be one of the few people who love the smell of cigars.

May 1, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Man, this is creepy...

Too right!! Just glad I use headphones..imagine having all that written about you, only in Spanish..
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back