My Anger at My Dorm's Unsanitary Conditions (not student involved)
Jun 13, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 54
Yes, funny how they step-to when the parents get involved. Like when they painted the window of my dorm room while open so that I couldn't shut it. Calling and complaining did nothing, but somehow it was fixed the same day my dad called. It was dead of winter but better late than never.

But this is just above and beyond. What happens if someone dies from the exposure to the mold (it happens)?

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #47 of 54
When they give you that refund, read the release they want you to sign and/or endorsement of the check very carefully. They are trying to buy off your possible lawsuit for the potential health problems stemming from all that mold. They have a big-time liability here. You told them about it repeatedly, and they acknowledged it (by sending workers) but did nothing to fix it. That is gross negligence.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #48 of 54
Yeah, I should mention that I had a headache for 5 hours yesterday. I can tell you that half of a low dose vicodin barely took the edge off of this thing.

Also, everyone getting headaches is getting them in the back of their head, lower region. Not the traditional headaches of the frontal lobe.

Just thought you guys should know how bad it has been. I had a 4 inch long Housecentipeded on my wall above my head when I woke up this morning. No one should have to deal with very large bugs - no one!

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #49 of 54
As an NU alum and former teacher in the school of music, I cant imagine conditions getting like that. I lived in Allison and our rooms were amazing! Guess I just got lucky. I dont remember anyone living in the dorms past freshman year tho. I would bring this up with your adviser in Tech, and write a direct letter to Henry Bienen and the daily northwestern. The university doesnt like to look bad, and this is totally ridiculous.

Frost

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #50 of 54
^ It is good to hear from a fellow alum.

BTW: You are in very good company
wink.gif

Allison is one of the newer dorms on campus overall. Next year, I will be in Kemper - so it is a rather large step up. I am happy to be going home tommorrow and washing everything I own.

However, it seems that the main head of the stuff we are talking about here is trying to give us the slip til everyone is moved out. She is "not here" for hours in the middle of the day....yeah right.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the mother of the girl who left came into the dorm today and knocked on my door.

We went above the people who were previously handling the issues to the dean of residential life and the dean of students. We certainly got a much different response from them. Considering all of the problems implicated thus far.....they might not have people live in this dorm next year.

They were originally planning on redoing all of the plumming in the place ove rthe summer, but it evident that much more than that needs to be done and simply painting over the mold does nothing.

So I might be getting my money back from living here this year, or at least part of it. The difference is that we have pictures from all over of the issue and the headaches are killing me, especially with the extra moisture of summer.

We will see how this pans out with the top level of the school administration. If nothing goes well, the city is ready to come in.

Pic and desciption of the place
Designed by Palmer, Hornbostel, & Jones in 1913-14 as part of the men's quadrangles. Intended as a residence hall for nonfraternity men, it was built at the cost of $35,544. It was named in honor of John R. Lindgren, a banker and businessman who held a longtime interest in Northwestern.
Lindgren.jpg

By saying "the city is ready to step in" do you mean that the city is aware of the issue and awaiting action from the school, or that you only intend to alert the city's health department if Northwestern's officials continue to blow you off?

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #53 of 54
good god. i graduated from Northwestern last year and lived in the dorms there for 2. none of the dorms i lived in looked like that. never had problems with bugs or anything. what dorm is that Germania?

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #54 of 54
There's any number of health and fire code violations there. I'd get press attention, legal attention, and shine as much light on the whole thing as possible. Once other people start to notice, you'll find the school a lot more receptive to your complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back