My 580’s are dead…
Oct 28, 2002 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Or at least lifeless. I’ve had these for a couple of months now and even with the addition of a Cmoy I just can’t seem to really dig these things. There are times when I love them, mostly with more acoustic music like Sarah McLachlan and Nathan Wiley. With those there is a certain magic that just draws you into the music, low level detail retrieval is amazing, but on just about any other style of music that I listen to I find them rather slow and plodding. It’s like transients are rounded off and the bass is a bit behind the beat. Mix that with the recessed midrange and midbass hump, which I find quite distracting a lot of the time, and I just don’t think these are the phones for me.

I also have a pair of 280’s that, paired with the D25S and Cmoy, I really quite like. They’re not perfect by any means, while I find them to have a fairly flat frequency response, my personal taste would be for a slightly smoother treble and a bit more bass and more low level resolution. I do really like the better pace and drive, more upfront presentation, and overall detail is great.

So I’ve been thinking about selling the 580’s and picking up something else. I guess what I would be looking for would be to mix the best parts of the 280’s and the 580’s.

I know a lot of people will recommend a cable upgrade and/or a new amp but I have limited funds and I feel that in the long run, even with those improvements, the inherent nature of these phones won’t change and I would be wasting my money. (Even though I know there will be a significant improvement I really do have a hard time with the idea of spending more on a cable than the phones are worth.)

The phones that have intrigued me from reviews on here are the Audio Technica ATH-A100Ti’s or maybe the ATH-A900’s or the Beyerdynamics 770-250’s or 250-80’s. Grado’s I’m reluctant to try because I really don’t like anything overly bright. The 280’s can be a bit aggressive when paired with the wrong equipment and bad recordings so I wouldn’t want to go more in that direction.

Based on all this does anyone have any ideas on which might better suit my needs? Is there anything else out there that I’m overlooking?

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 38
Hi Elnero. I'll bet it's the amp. I have the 280s (as you know as president of the 280 club) & recently purchased 600s (stock cable) with a Corda Headamp-1. I find the 600s better all around & quite good enough to have cured me of the upgrade bug. Can you borrow a better amp & try the 580s again before you shell out for new phones?

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 38
I agree, the amp is the source of your unhappyness(or it might be). I too used to use a cmoy. I found that the sound was very slow, lacked clarity, impact, and speed. An upgrade to the meta42 brought everything out. The bass started going LOW. The high extension was there. The soundstage EXPLODED. Everything seemed to fall into place. The clou blues also made a large change. I wouldn't give up yet. But if you must, I'd go for the 770s.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 38
Since you have an amp, why not try the Beyer 250-250s? By many accounts, they're a little better than the 250-80s. I'd be tempted if I had enough money.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
The phones that have intrigued me from reviews on here are the Audio Technica ATH-A100Ti’s or maybe the ATH-A900’s or the Beyerdynamics 770-250’s or 250-80’s.

Is there anything else out there that I’m overlooking?

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 38
puppyslugg,

Right now I'm powering it with two 9 volts. I plan on getting an adapter sometime this week though.

GusB,

Me, President of the 280 club? And here I thought I was just an army of one! Mind you I have suspected there are some users who have been driven underground by Magicthyse.

I guess what concerns me is I don't really think it's the amp. I just don't think the 580's are my bag. With each change I've made they've got better in some way but the overall character hasn't changed. I don't really expect that's going to change much no matter what I do.

I do plan on getting another amp at some point so I can leave the Cmoy at work with the 280's. It will probably be a Meta42, but I'm open to other reasonably priced suggestions.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 38
i am part of team 280... you arent alone elnero... u should just stick with your 280 and upgrade your amp for it (crossfeed) or get the er4 I say. maybe 770...

just my 2 cents...

biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 38
Since you have an amp, why not try the Beyer 250-250s? By many accounts, they're a little better than the 250-80s. I'd be tempted if I had enough money.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
The phones that have intrigued me from reviews on here are the Audio Technica ATH-A100Ti’s or maybe the ATH-A900’s or the Beyerdynamics 770-250’s or 250-80’s.

Is there anything else out there that I’m overlooking?

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 38
andrzejpw,

Ahhhh, you are young grasshopper, one day you will understand the ways of the wife. I really don't want to have to explain to here why I need another amp when I just got one last week. And, as I stated before, I don't really think the addition of a Meta42 is suddenly going to change the 580's enough for me to truly love em.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I just thought I'd throw out the question and see what kind of response I got. To tell you the truth I was more interested in headphone suggestions based on what I stated my dislikes and likes were with the phones I already have.
rolleyes.gif

Time will tell, I'll give the 580's some more time with the Cmoy, I have to try to save some pennies for my next purchase anyhow.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 38
a1leyez0nm3,

I knew I wasn't alone.
biggrin.gif

Steve999,

Hmmmmmm, that's an idea as well. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with the 770's? I'll have to check that out.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 38
elnero
I didn't like the HD600 as much as lower priced headphones until I heard it it one more high end amps, so it's understandable.

In a way I kind-of feel like plugging an HD600 into a CMOY is like putting low octane gas in a Porsche. The Porsche won't run as well as it could and other vehicles seem to do ok with the cheaper gas. *shrug*

Then again, you may never like the HD600. They are, after all, Head-Fi's Most Overrated Headphone(tm).

Oct 29, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 38
i didnt really like the 600s all that much when i heard them (even on spendy amps), i prefered the er4 much more. they had the qualities u described...

Oct 29, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Right now I'm powering it with two 9 volts. I plan on getting an adapter sometime this week though.

The reason I asked, was becuz how the cmoy is power does make a difference when driving the Senn. 580/600. If it's wired in series, then the cmoy is doing all it can powering the Senn. If wired in parrallel, then that could be a problem driving the Senn. When you look for an adaptor, get one rated for about 24v. The Senn's. likes voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back