My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
May 6, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #227 of 510
Just out of interest, in anybody doing the CF mod on an iRiver player, or more specifically an H300?

I just ordered a CF adapter for my rockboxed H320, and I'm going to try and swap in a 1GB Sandisk CF card I have lying around to see if it works. I'll post here if I can get it to work!

May 6, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #228 of 510
I disabled the auto-update and now the disk icon doesn't stay on for hours anymore, but the interface hasn't sped up at all.

I noticed that if I start a song, wait for it to start, leave it for two minutes or so and then operate the player, the interface works correctly for a while, with instant pausing/unpausing. I can even change a few songs, but then the slowness comes back.

It did this even with its old microdrive, but I scanned it and discovered it was full of bad sectors, so I presumed that was the reason. Apparently it wasn't, though.

This can't possibly be normal. Do your rockboxed Minis work like this? (I'm pretty sure not, but it never hurts to ask.)

NSX: I'm pretty sure Sandisk cards aren't full-ATA.

May 13, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #230 of 510
Got the adapter yesterday, opened up my 320, shoved the CF card in and voila! everything works perfectly, didn't even need to mod the bootloader (just used the standard one).

Before I got my hand on the adapter, I formatted the Sandisk Ultra 1GB card to FAT32 and copied over the rockbox files from the original Hard disk.

I'm ready to get a 32GB CF card, but which ones would work? They're still very expensive at the moment for trial-and-error...

May 19, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #232 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberstuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ribbon that connects the CF card to the pcb broke when I pulled the hard drive off, anyone know where I can find a replacement one?

bummer man
frown.gif

IPOD Mini 1ST 2ND GEN Hard Drive Connector Flex cable - eBay (item 350059662374 end time May-19-08 15:42:11 PDT)

I've bought parts form this guy before. His email response can be slow sometimes, but they will come through.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #233 of 510
I bought a 4GB Mini with what looks like a failed harddrive, otherwise in great condition for £15, a 16GB Adata CF card for £25 and a new battery and mains charger for £6. That means (if all goes to plan) I'll have a 16GB Rockbox'd player for under £50, which is great. Might sell off my 1G Rockbox'd 2GB Nano if it comes together properly along with a Mini^3 and keep this with the op-amp modded Little Dot Mk1.

One thing that struck me, is the size of the iPod Mini compared to the 1G/2G Nano.

oh, thanks to PouncePony and the rest of you for this mod.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #235 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone bought the 32GB Samsung OEM CF cards from flashmemoryman on ebay? Thinking of getting one but would like to know anyone has any experiences to share.

150X 32GB OEM SAMSUNG COMPACT FLASH CF CARD 32 GB G Go - eBay

That looks like the card in these pics.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post4292113

I'm not saying it will work for sure, but they were able to use it in another iPod as a hard drive replacement, but they used an adapter. If you know it is a Samsung, try finding the spec sheet for it and see if the pin layout matches the others. My understanding though is that all CF cards adhere to the same format specs, so it very well may work.

I realize you're looking for someone that has already tried one, but you might end being the first to use one in a Mini. Make sure to post your results here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #236 of 510
Quote:

Has anyone bought the 32GB Samsung OEM CF cards from flashmemoryman on ebay? Thinking of getting one but would like to know anyone has any experiences to share.

I did (Well, I actually bought the 16GB version; but that shouldn't really make a diffrence.) And yes, it works fine with my 2nd Gen iPod Mini....

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #237 of 510
My bad, don't actually have a Mini to use this with, but hopefully will try this with my 5G. Before you burn the heretic of the thread, I must say it was late and I saw 32GB.. iPod.. and just hit reply
tongue.gif

Thanks Marduk, that's good news. I'm looking at either the A-Data one or this one.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #239 of 510
OK, I'm not a DIY'er, but I am interested in this setup. If anyone has an extra one, or finds that it is used less often than you thought, or wants to build another one... Let me know, as I would like to buy one (not picky -- 16GB or 32GB OK, prefer 2d gen for longer battery life). PM or email.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #240 of 510
Nice writeup
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I have tried to get myself an mini for a couple of months since I saw this mod on geektech (or something) and now when I got one I find this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Well my options as I see it is:
Transcend CompactFlash 32GB (133x) around 115€
or
32GB A-Data CompactFlash Memory Card Speedy Series 105€
Battery 800mah ~27$ ~18€
And my ipod that i got for 28€

Totalling at ~161€
Seems fair for a 32G player
smily_headphones1.gif

What CF card should i go for? Anyone tested both? any of them have better battery life? seems like Transcend is faster but A-Data always works
smily_headphones1.gif

Im not very fond of ebay batteries as I have seen at some homepage that batteries from "better" dealers with less mah still lasts longer, please correct me if im wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also if you know a good dealer in europe for good batteries I would apreciate the link
smily_headphones1.gif

Then lastly has anyone done a repaint of the mini and have some colour brands to recomend, preferably one that can be found in sweden/europe,, and tips on how to make it perfect ^^

All tips are welome thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back