My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Feb 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #106 of 510
Um just wondering but hasn't anyone actually looked at the cards and seen the speed for the A-data card? I know it isn't reported right on newegg or anything but it isn't that hard to find out that it is 40x which comes out to a speed of 6MB/S, while this is fast enough for general media viewing and far beyond fast enough even for lossless audio, it is not 20MB/S, though you do got 20MB/S from a 133x card such as the more expensive transcend card which requires a patch, though why pay more for something like that when 6MB/S will still be fast enough for general use. Even if you only got 4 MB/S for a 32 GB card it would only take about 2 hours to fill it completely, though hopefully you wouldn't be doing that every day or anything and hopefully you wouldn't intend to put 30 GB of media on it in one day either.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #108 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if this can be done on a Nano?

It's been reported you could find a dead nano on eBay and desolder the flash chip on its logic board and solder it in the empty flash memory slot of another nano, theoretically increasing your max capacity to 8GB. It hasn't been confirmed, but it's worth a go with how cheap broken iPods can go for.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #109 of 510
Another question: once the CF is formatted inside the ipod, is the drive in FAT32 format or what? Or to put it better: can I yank it out, connect it to my computer with a (probably faster) CF reader/writer, transfer all my files to it, put it back in the ipod and have it work with the new files?

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #110 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how is the SQ of the LOD compared to the headphone out of a cowan or a sony amped? I need a dap to use with my Ibasso D2 on order and Iaudio7's are $125.00 for an 8GB right now

Doing lineout from the iPod would, in my opinion at least, be better than amping the headphone out of the Iaudio7 (I'm assuming it doesn't have a dedicated lineout, if it does then ignore my comment). The headphone out is what has been criticized on these, the lineout is as good as the other iPods from what I've gathered.

I actually just sold my Mini, as I decided I really did not need a portable player at all (and was doing it more as a project than anything). That and I wanted some extra funding for a new headphone purchase.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #111 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question: once the CF is formatted inside the ipod, is the drive in FAT32 format or what? Or to put it better: can I yank it out, connect it to my computer with a (probably faster) CF reader/writer, transfer all my files to it, put it back in the ipod and have it work with the new files?

You could, but in my experience it's not slow at all. If you are able to replace your HD with a CF card in the first place, leave it alone. It's so easy to break the ribbon cable and plug assembly for the click wheel.

I did exactly that. Luckily mine's only a crappy 1g and I won't bother fixing it.
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #112 of 510
Hi All!

I want upgrade on my ipod 4th gen 4GB CF card kingston on
16GB or 32GB CF cards vendors by noname like this (150x)
or this
or adata speedy.

Possible simple change CF cards? Exists anybody non-compatibeles
with ipod 4gen and CF cards by noname vendors and large size?

Thanx.

PS. sorry for bad English

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #113 of 510
Personally I haven't herd anything bout the cf cards you posted links to on ebay. I have the adata card myself(32gb) and have used the 8gb trancend card before. I know that if you use something like rockbox you should have no compatibility issues with the adata card.(Not needing to patch the build or anything like that. Which is something I have no idea how to do.)

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #114 of 510
I did read this whole thread, but I can't recall if this specific question was asked...

With the 32GB cards, the only trouble was with Rockbox, right? The A-Data and the Transcend both boot up and connect to the PC fine and iTunes works?

I'm reading up on the Rockbox discussion on those forums, but I want to know the mini is functional immediately no matter which card I purchase.

You guys bought up all the A-Data cards at Newegg.com, so I'm gonna have to get a Transcend :p

Oh well, hopefully it will be faster
smily_headphones1.gif

So the only issue with the Transcend card is with Rockbox, right?

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #118 of 510
I upgraded my Mini a couple of days ago with the 32GB A-Data, new Ipodjuice 750mA battery and Rockbox. The card arrived before my battery so I decided to pop it into my Canon EOS 30D for kicks. When I hitched it up in my Mini and booted up, I received the unhappy-send-in-your-dead-Ipod-for-support screen. After reconfirming correct connection, scratching my head for a couple of hours and doing some research, it dawned on me the card was reformatted when I placed it in my camera. I popped the card into my card reader, reformatted it to FAT 32, reconnected it and, voila, I was back in action. Could have saved myself the trouble had known this.

Then, after Rockboxing (a verb?), I attempted several times to initialize the database .... with unsuccessful results. Again, more research. On my own, I changed the one of the database settings to load to RAM. Success!

A few learnings from this fun exercise; I'm sure there will be more.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #119 of 510
According to various sites, my silver Mini should be a model number:

M9801LL/A (6 GB Silver)

But mine says MP5002, and it has the HP logo on the back (in addition to the Apple logo).

Will this mod still work on the HP iPods? My nephew just gave me his and I'm just debating on 16gb or 32gb...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back