My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Aug 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #286 of 510
OK, I have a slight problem. Put 11GB of FLAC on the iPod (which took a-a-ages) and was enjoying the sound when the audio became distorted and louder with some digital / static noise. Was using a LOD to at LD Mk1 so thought it was the line out port, so diconnected the LOD and put the headphones directly into the headphone socket. Same problem.
I think it's to do with the controller wheel, as that produced this noise as well when scrolling through menus. This makes me think the piece of carboard I put on top of the CF card is too thick and is pressing against the underside of the controller wheel.
I'll dismantle the iPod later today, but anyone have something similaror know what it could be?

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #287 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I have a slight problem. Put 11GB of FLAC on the iPod (which took a-a-ages) and was enjoying the sound when the audio became distorted and louder with some digital / static noise. Was using a LOD to at LD Mk1 so thought it was the line out port, so diconnected the LOD and put the headphones directly into the headphone socket. Same problem.
I think it's to do with the controller wheel, as that produced this noise as well when scrolling through menus. This makes me think the piece of carboard I put on top of the CF card is too thick and is pressing against the underside of the controller wheel.
I'll dismantle the iPod later today, but anyone have something similaror know what it could be?

How long until you start hearing the distortion?

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #288 of 510
Just checking now, plugged directly into the headphone socket and for about two minutes the music's fine. When I swap over to the LOD the music starts getting choppy with static bursts almost straight away. I can wiggle the connector to get more of the problem. Now wondering if there's something shorting out inside.
Just tried the LOD with a Mk1 Nano Rockboxed and that's all fine.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #289 of 510
Just ordered 1 Transcend CF-Card 16 GB. Enough for my whole collection and will surely last me quite some time. Looking into a paint job as well as the original is pink. Im excited
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #291 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one thing I am not sure of. The molex on the microdrive, do I take it off?

Yes you can. Just remove the tape that keeps the ribbon attached to the microdrive and remove it out carefully as the pins bend pretty easily if not pulled straight out. Then just reuse for the CF card.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #293 of 510
This is a brilliant idea, I've been considering replacing the hard drive in one of my 5th Gen iPods with a higher capacity model. The price and availability of the drives has been holding me back. I may try this.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #295 of 510
That capacity sounds right. The companies that make the hard drives and flash memory define a GB in terms of base 10, so 1 GB to them = 1000 MB not 1024 MB. However you lose even more data due to the fact that these losses in data size between binary and base 10 memory start at the byte level. Based on what I know, you lose about 300-400 MB for every 4 GB of data, so with a 16 GB drive you should have around 14.4-14.8 GB which is as things should be.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #296 of 510
Right. I got the same kind of explanation somewhere else so I guess I will settle for it. So for the people that want to buy a Transcend 16GB you will have to deal with about 14,8 gigs. The guide in the OP shows an iPod with a PEAK 16GB which seems to give 15 gigs. Thanks ben7337
redface.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #297 of 510
My 32 gig AData CF card is 30.1 gig in my Ipod Mini's about info but 30.2 in the Itunes info.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #298 of 510
Heyyyy,

Got a new green iPod case and new bezels. I tried painting the previous case black but the paint didnt hold. The bezelfs got damaged with opening them up. It seems everything is working and I have to say it went pretty easy. At the moment the transfer speed to the CF card with EphPod is somewhere around 3. Its seems a lot slower then transferring to the original drive although I cant remember how much slower. I also managed to damage the clickwheel a bit and because its pink I ordered a nice replacement screen to go over it.

Thanks for the thread :]

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #299 of 510
Ladies and Gentleman, I have been following the procedure for replacing the mini's HDD with a CF; however, I do not understand what, if anything, needs to be done on the software side after the drive replacement. Will my mini immediately work with itunes? If not what needs to be done. I mention this because I like the simplicity of itunes and do not want to use other software with my ipod mini. Thanks for all your assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back