My 3.5 mm audio input from my laptop broke, and I'm wondering
Jan 6, 2016 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
If there's a usb stereo audio adapter I can buy for cheap that doesn't change the laptops original audio quality? If there is one, please name it or them, because I really need it (otherwise I can't use my ear and headphones)

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 19
One of many ways is to disassemble the laptop and replace the jack, which alone is roughly $1, $2.5 for gold-plated very high quality one, but likely incompatible, as what you need to observe is also pin spacing and every jack socket is different.
External DAC is more convenient solution which doesn't break your warranty, but likely more expensive. Sound quality out of it tend to be much better than most laptop integrated controllers.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 19
  One of many ways is to disassemble the laptop and replace the jack, which alone is roughly $1, $2.5 for gold-plated very high quality one, but likely incompatible, as what you need to observe is also pin spacing and every jack socket is different.
External DAC is more convenient solution which doesn't break your warranty, but likely more expensive. Sound quality out of it tend to be much better than most laptop integrated controllers.

Do you know an external USB DAC around $20 that has clearly better sound than the laptops integrated soundcard?

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 19
Nothing comes to mind, sorry. HifimeDiy had some keychain sized USB DACs for low price, maybe even $20, but that's without shipping.
Here: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac
Clearly better sound starts with ODAC B & O2 on roughly $280

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 19
Schiit Fulla $79

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 19
  Nothing comes to mind, sorry. HifimeDiy had some keychain sized USB DACs for low price, maybe even $20, but that's without shipping.
Here: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac
Clearly better sound starts with ODAC B & O2 on roughly $280

Would this be a good solution?

https://www.4launch.nl/product/384175/StarTech-Geluidskaart-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-2-0--USB/google?gclid=CLnm2ra5lcoCFVFuGwodatIB7g

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 19
Nothing via USB will use your integrated audio and whether quality will be on par or better depends on the quality of your laptop integrated audio and choice of USB dac. As long as you don't go dirt cheap it will probably be at least as good. I personally wouldn't buy any dollar dacs from ebay though.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 19
  Nothing via USB will use your integrated audio and whether quality will be on par or better depends on the quality of your laptop integrated audio and choice of USB dac. As long as you don't go dirt cheap it will probably be at least as good. I personally wouldn't buy any dollar dacs from ebay though.

Do you know any other way how I can use the integrated audio?

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 19
  eBay item # 291490315594

External sound card, cheap and probably better than your original internal sound outlet!
Check it out.
There are better external sound cards, for a lot more money!
This one is by far good enough!

So the StarTech USB DAC arrived today, but it doesn't sound good imo. Uppermids are slightly harsh, treble isn't as extended as my regular onboard soundcard and bass is slightly overpowering.

Does your suggested turtle beach amigo 2 not have those problems I described above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back