My 2nd set of HD600s in as many weeks. Flawed again!
Jun 21, 2004 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MrDetermination

Head-Fier
Brace yourselves. I sorta like my 590s. They're comfortable as all get out and they sound "clean" for computer gaming. Though I agree, they sound "bright" and I prefer a warm sound in my music (B&W/PSB speakers for movies and living room listening). In the end I couldn't stand listening to music on my 590s and so I gave in to the peer pressure and ordered my first set of 600s online, unheard... because nobody in Middle Tennessee carries them (but that is another rant).

So my first set of 600s arrived 10 days ago, from a clearance warehouse on ebay. $235, which I later realized I could have paid some reputable online retailers. But I digress.

I fell in love... until I heard Marc Cohn's "Ghost Train" and realized that something was very wrong. More sources (computer, CD, portables). Different amps (receivers, cmoy, Fortissimo). Drat! Mid range bass, for lack of a better vocabulary (think keyboards a la Don Henley early 80s) and much of Brubeck's sax work foiled the quality again and again. Like a bee floating around in the Right channel.

But the ebay seller was pretty cool and had an extra set. I had my replacement a week later (last Friday).

I fell in love again and this time I got through several CDs in their entirety. Until yesterday... when I loaded up Harry Connick's "She", flac, in Foobar (resampled and DS2 out). Oh...

...No...

...the bass. The bass has revealed a slight rattle in the Right can. More sources. More amps (by now my Headroom Little had arrived too). The store-bought CD. Listen to it on the 590s. The home stereo. Turn the headphones around... MAYBE IT IS MY EARS. MY STUPID, BROKEN EARS. Or maybe this CD. Kid Rock, rattle. Beastie Boys, rattle. Diana Krall... rattle.

The liquidator doesn't have any more in his ebay inventory. And to be honest, I'm thinking either A) I can deal with it*, B) I can deal with it for a while and send them to Senn later or C) I can send them to Senn now. But a majority of the stuff I listen to frequently isn't that bass heavy so I could stay away from it for a couple weeks.

My questions to you are:
1) How fast does Senn turn stuff around.
and
2) You think they'll fix this free of charge with me not buying from one of their "in crowd" resellers?

*We all know this will ultimately drive me to the looney bin and was only included in the options package for comic relief purposes.

+EDIT: Me speeliiing bad. No speeak goode.

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 15
Camn't you get your money back and buy them somewhere else?
from what I've read here Senn is very fast in responding and repairing the phones. (knock on wood, I'm on my third pr. of senns with no problems)
600smile.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Probably you can fix it yourself. Pull off the earpad and remove the foam covering the driver. Then blow into the driver (make sure you have a dry mouth). Most likely there's just some foreign object on the membrane.

peacesign.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 15
Senn is pretty quick I had sent my pair of HD600s in and had them back in about a week. I bought my 600s second hand so they were not new and I had no idea if the warranty was still good or not. I was not charged for the repair which ended up being the replacement of a driver and a new cable.

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDetermination
Just forcefully pull off the padding? Is it meant to do that D:

Exactly!
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Just forcefully pull off the padding? Is it meant to do that D:

<--newbie

Don't get crazy, buy, yeah. Just reach in toward the driver and you'll feel the firmer inner edge. Pull it away going around the circle.
Also, make sure the rattle isn't in the headband somewhere. Just hold the headband when you hear it.
My 595s sometimes have a rattle in the headband if I don't wear them right.
Hope that helps.

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

... because nobody in Middle Tennessee carries them (but that is another rant).

Tell about it. I've found 570s at Tweeter's. They couldn't get the 590s for me, and I don't think they carry the 580/600/650 line. I wanted to buy locally but nobody carries them.
It's hard to find Grado's also. There's a little Mom and Pop shop close to Tweeter's that supposedly sells them, but I've never been able to catch them open.
Oh well.....good luck with the 600s.

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks, I'll tear them apart... err, open them up when I get home.

My 590s actually came from Tweeter (demo model) and they offered to mail order the 600s for me at the low low cost of only $310.
rolleyes.gif

Nicholson's carries at least the Grado 60s. I'm not much on Grado as I have big ears and I find them uncomfortable for this reason.

Nicholson's is a fantastic stereo shop (buries AVE and Tweeter as far as quality selection), but they don't carry much in the way of headphones. I think they're only closed on Sunday, or it might be Monday.

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 15
I had the same type of problem once, and yes, blowing into the ear piece will fix it, sometimes a small hair, dust, or just the foam is a lil loose will cause the rattle noise, it is quite annoying, but easy to fix.

Jun 21, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

My 590s actually came from Tweeter (demo model) and they offered to mail order the 600s for me at the low low cost of only $310.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, but for a brick and mortar sometimes you gotta pay that difference for support. I know it's high but it might have helped in this case. I got some 570s from there and they very willingly took them back when I didn't like them.
Quote:

Nicholson's carries at least the Grado 60s. I'm not much on Grado as I have big ears and I find them uncomfortable for this reason.

Nicholson's is a fantastic stereo shop (buries AVE and Tweeter as far as quality selection), but they don't carry much in the way of headphones. I think they're only closed on Sunday, or it might be Monday.

Nicholson's, that's it. Right around the corner from Tweeter's. They're closed on Mondays. I've always wanted to go there but can't catch them open. Good place, huh?

Jun 21, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Nicholson's alright. Most of their gear is still catered toward home theater (haven't been there for a long time). There's another place down the street (Audio Revolution, me thinks) that is much. I got to listen to some Avantgarde Duo driven by all Ayre component. The guys there are really nice too (not pushy at all). There's also another place down near the coolspring mall that carries alot more phones (Grado and Senns) but I forgotten the name.

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks guys, some of it was the membrane. Unfortunately, today I realized a little bit of it is actually my ear. If I flip the phones around I still hear it a little out of my right ear.

How disturbing
frown.gif

I guess that volume threshold where I can hear it needs to be stayed under for more reasons than one!

I'm going to have my ears checked ASAP.

Regaurding Nashville retail:

Buying the 600s at Tweeter would have been even worse because they'd be serving as a middle man if I do have any problems (they keep no 600s in stock).

Audio Video Environments is who you're thinking of in Cool Springs darkclouds. They've gone way downhill. Their presentation sucks. The staff isn't very knowledgeable and the general cleanliness of the store leaves a lot to be desired. A shame really.

Never heard of Audio Revolution. Not in the phone book. Maybe they came and went overnight.

Nicholson's has a half dozen rooms and yes, half of them are set up to sell home theater. However, there are two or three that are devoted to music and at least half their inventory is music-centric. I suggest you revisit them.

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Nicholson's has a half dozen rooms and yes, half of them are set up to sell home theater. However, there are two or three that are devoted to music and at least half their inventory is music-centric. I suggest you revisit them.

Come to think of it, didn't Nicholson recen't moved? When I was there last, there wasn't half a dozen rooms in that place. I haven't been to there new place yet.

Audio Revolution is by appointment only, me thinks. At least the fellow there told me to give them a ring first, whenever I wanted to come by for auditions. I'm terrible with the directions, but I believe it's around music row or circle.

About your ear... that sounds pretty scary. Goodluck with the doc and hope everything is ok.

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 15
Hey Mr.Determination! I bought my Sennheiser HD600's from that same person on eBay. Im just waiting for it to arrive. Suppose to get here by this Thursday.

It was my very first time buying/selling anything on eBay so I was very scared the HD600's were used or messed up. From what you posted I feel a whole lot better, thanks!

Anomaly
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back