(MX 500's vs. KSC-35's) vs. Grado 60's
Aug 21, 2004 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Remedial

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I already own a pair of MX-500's and love them a lot. But sometimes the bass in some songs is too much for them, so I start to get a mid frequency distortion. Other than that, great. I also heard about the MX-550's, which should be out sometime soon, which have some kind of Bass Wind system (I guess to address the problem I mentioned before).

Now, I'm wondering, is there much difference in the sound of the Koss KSC-35's? I've heard such wonderful things about these phones, I sometimes want to just say bump it and just grab a pair. But will the improvement be that noticeable?

Also, the KSC-35's seem to be labeled mp3me now, or were they always referred to as such?

Then, after that battle is over, I'm left to wonder if either of these combatants can stand ground with the Grado 60's?

As a sidenote, I plan to use either of these phones for portable use (without an amp).

What do you guys think?

Or should I just get me a pair of Koss the Plugs and do the mod over at headwize?

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 11
you really can't put the grado 60 in the same class as any ear bud typ headphones. If you got a pair of Grados you would want to trash your earbuds. There is no comparison ( I have tried the etysmotics but have use the Sure E3 and, Sens 300 and the sony Ex71 buds. It really comes down to what you want. I use the sonys on the buss cause it is loud as hell and I can't here the music without cranking it . They block out alot of the noise and sound decent. But at home I turn to the Grados and they destroy the sonys or the sures ( I had the sure headphones first and I personaly thought they sucked but thats my opinion. I porbably didn't give them a chance but after an hour of trying to get them to stay in my ear and lack of bass I said no thanks.) If you want more bass in a bud you might try the Sonys. They have good bass lack in the mids and the highs are a bit harsh but for the $ as a bud type headphone they are they do the trick. The Grado... Get them if you want to realy hear the music at all levels bass, mids and treb. They are a great portable headphone if you don't mind lookinh kinda silly ( like I said I use mine at home they just don't scream I'm hip!) well sorry for the long resoponce and what was the question again:)

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remedial
Now, I'm wondering, is there much difference in the sound of the Koss KSC-35's? I've heard such wonderful things about these phones, I sometimes want to just say bump it and just grab a pair. But will the improvement be that noticeable?

Yes, the improvement will be very noticeable. The KSC-35 have proper bass extension, as well as a more extended top end, than the MX-500s.

I personally don't prefer the Grado SR-60 to the KSC-35, but many people do. It's a matter of personal taste. You get more immediacy with the Grados at the expense of some neutrality. The KSC-35 have deeper low bass.

Aug 22, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Compared to the MS-1, the KSC-35 was the closest thing I heard to a portable comparison (I trashed about 5 factory buds and cans after doing some A/Bs, my sony earclips are no longer even on my desk)

Now that I replaced my MS-1 with the MS-2, I have no more excuse for wearing Alessandros in public - you can get away with a all black can, but the metal can just screams "GEEKOPHILE!" Therefore my KSC-35 still has a place in my setup - anytime I have to leave the house. But if I'm going to settle down somewhere after leaving, I'll bring the Alessandros as my "transportable" - the DT770 stays at home as a sound peacemaker (closed can).

The KSC-35 is like a mini-grado. But it won't compare to the big boys when I get home, so they sit sadly in a duane reade pouch ready for the next dog walk.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 11
The KSC-35 are a gift from heaven (for that price). I'll scrap all my other opinions and say they're easily the best headphones (unamped) under 100$ (euro) that I heard. Keep in mind that I didn't hear the SR-60, but they're for different purposes anyway. But the KSC-35 is more of a "travel companion" than a "portable headphone" because of the nonexistant isolation. For that purpose, I still prefer my PX200 but the sound is no match for the little Koss clipons
smily_headphones1.gif

-Taurui

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 11
For me (a basshead, trance fan) the ksc35's have too little low-bass. Its all about upper bass with them. Especially if you use them outside then the bass disappears even more. (PX100s are great in these conditions with their somewhat weaker highs - they balance out outside.)

Gotta admit that the ksc's have a really quality sound overall and are musical.

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I had the SR-60's for a while, and never really warmed up to them. The mid-bass was punchy and nice, but they were never as fun to listen to as my PortaPros... I ended up selling them, and keeping the portapros.

Also, for long term listening, the grado's killed my ears (this seems to be a very personal thing), whereas I can wear the portapro's all day with no trouble at all.

I'll be looking into higher end headphones at some point, but not from the grado line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back