MX-500 trebbles
May 18, 2002 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nulheim

New Head-Fier
Hi
smily_headphones1.gif

I've found that the trebles in my Sennheiser MX-500 are very VERY harsh in the band of 10-12 KHz (according with the winamp eq) or in the band of 7-9 KHz (according with the Shibatch parametric eq). Using the foamies or not it's the same.

In many songs, I have to adjust the eq settings, but I don't like it.

Can you recommend me a earphones that had a better trebles? Please, in the range of price of the MX500, I know that the Sony 888 are good, but $$$
wink.gif

How about the trebles in MX-400? Are they harsh too?

One more thing. I've read very well about the KSC-35, but my ear's shape... well... I don't know how it is said in english
biggrin.gif
But I prefer don't risk with them.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi Nulheim... Welcome To Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

MX400, to me the treble is brighter on these than the MX500, so you need to rule those out...

What equipment are you using, because from my own opinion the treble is rather laid back on the MXs??

I don't really know what to suggest in terms of a seemingly dull earphone... I could say Koss The Plug, but their sound isn't very good... maybe the MX300?

Does anyone else have any ideas??

May 18, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 17
HI nulheim: Welcome to head-fi.
Rat shack 33-1991 High performance in ear stereo headphones.
Cobalt-aluminum drivers with ultra-thin diaphragms. 16-22 freq.
19.95 sounds much better than my senn.mx500. These are a 1 or 2 mm. biger. Has a better sound stage and overall better sound. I put my mx500 away. If you would like a great portable can check out the portapro by koss.

May 18, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 17
Nulheim,

Let me add my welcome also. Don't worry about your English. It's probably a lot better that my attempt at your native language (whatever it is).

I agree that the Senn MX500 treble is rather smooth and laid back. It might be your source, or just your hearing sensitivities to that frequency spectrum. I also agree that the MX400 has a brighter treble, probably because of the added resistance in the line of the 500 for the in-line volume control. I prefer the latter.

If you think the KSC-35 might not fit your ears, you might consider the PortaPro or SportaPro, both of which use the same drivers as the 35's. You might have to put up with a slightly "boomier" bass though, as the drivers sit closer to your ears with both "Pros".

Good luck.

May 18, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 17
harsh treble with mx500? what the hell? they're the smoothest thing man
cool.gif

May 18, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
harsh treble with mx500? what the hell? they're the smoothest thing man
cool.gif

...Depending on the source, and more importantly the fit of course...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 17
Well, not ALL the treble are harsh in MX500, only one specific range
wink.gif

I note it in many vocal songs (the source are original CDs: Queen, and so...). When the singer pronounces the "S", it produces a harsh noise. Even if I lower the volume. Well, if I lower the volume TOO MUCH, i don't hear anything (just a joke
biggrin.gif
)

It happens in my Denon CD Player, in my Sony MZR-900 minidisc, in my SoundBlaster Live... but when I listen with my Sony MDR-V100 it doesn't happen
wink.gif

In classical and "no vocal" music, there's no harsh at all.

I'm searching a graph that shows the frequency response of this earphones, to make sure that the problem isn't in my ears
biggrin.gif
, but I don't found any.

I write down the models you suggest me
wink.gif

May 18, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 17
Sibilance is what the *S* noises you refer to is called... I still can't say that I notice that... One final suggestion before you head out with your wallet, Try adding an extra set of earpads onto the MX500s... that might well tone down the treble enough for you to be comfortable with... the fit becomes slightly better too
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps

May 18, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 17
I've just tried to put a secon pair of foamies, and the trebles are more muted, but the sibilance (thanks for the word
wink.gif
) is still there.

Mmmm, maybe my earphones are break, I don't know. Maybe I should buy another pair of MX-500 (22$ here in Spain) and try.

May 19, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Often times, grainy sound is not the fualt of the headphones, rather the source. Sound blaster is notorious for harsh sound. When I had the MX500, I heard no such sibilance with my Panasonic portable CD player.

May 19, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard
Just added an extra pair of earpads to it, sounds great.
tongue.gif

Great!

Yes, hopefully it tightened up the sound a little bit, and improves the secureness of the fit??

May 19, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 17
Add a third pair nulheim
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 19, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Add a third pair nulheim
tongue.gif

I found it quite hard adding a second without ripping the earpads... what does adding a third pair do? is it harder still to add the third pair... Do they still fit in your ears??

Thanks Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back