Mutec USB Interfaces: MC-1.2 & MC-3+ Smart Clock USB
Apr 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Luckbad

Headphoneus Supremus
Mutec is a German company that primarily deals in the professional A/V sector, but they've recently started gaining traction with audiophiles.

I picked up both options to check them out, and some of the wilder sections of the Internet have been raving about these interfaces.

http://www.mutec-net.com/usbinterfaces.php

Mutec MC-1.2

mc-12_f.png

The MC-1.2 is a high-performance USB audio interface which converts from USB to AES3, AES3id and S/P-DIF signals, and vice versa.

1. Uni- and bi-directional signal conversions
  2. Asynchronous USB operation
  3. USB audio stream isolation and conversion to 5 digital audio interfaces
  4. Low jitter audio clocks combined with ultra-low noise PCB design
  5. Regenerates and improves USB audio streams
  6. High-compatible USB audio class 2.0 driver for Windows supports ASIO, MME, DirectSound, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, PCM 16Bit, 24Bit, 32Bit and Float-32Bit at all clock rates between 44.1kHz and 192.0kHz
  7. Individual lock indicators for USB and the digital audio inputs
  8. USB, AES/EBU, AES/EBUid and S/P-DIF interfaces in one box
  9. Status bit analysis for the S/P-DIF inputs
  10. S/P-DIF interconnections via BNC, RCA and optical interfaces
  11. Input sampling rate indicators, separated for USB and the digital audio inputs
  12. Bus-powered operation for mobile use
  13. Built-in, international power supply
  14. Available with aluminum- or black-colored front panel
  15. Compatible with Apple Macintosh and Windows PCs

Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB

mc-3_plus_usb_f.png

The MC-3+ Smart Clock USB is setting a new benchmark for clocking technology and the reproduction of digital audio by uniquely combining an audiophile USB interface with an audio re-clocker in perfection! Particularly designed for the demands of high-end consumer audio, the device expands a new sonic universe with increased musicality, clarity, and precision. As such, the MC-3+USB will prove its worth in many audiophile listening rooms around the world.

pictogramm_reclocking_solid.png
Offers unique externally referenced re-clocking, locking to Rubidium-/Cesium atomic clocks or GPS receivers
pictogramm_usb_isolater_solid.png
Audiophile, asynchronous two-channel USB interface with ultra-low noise audio clock oscillators and total galvanic isolation of up to 2500 VRMS, respectively 4242 VPK, for suppression of high-frequency interferences
pictogramm_dsd_dop_solid.png
Converts DSD/DoP streams (64-256) to PCM audio with selectable output clock rate
pictogramm_10MHz_solid.png
Locks to Rubidium- (10 MHz), Cesium- (5 MHz) and GPS clock references
pictogramm_1G_clock_solid.png
Improved, next-generation REVIVE re-clocking and 1G-Clock technology by MUTEC
Additional Features:

1. Serves as a flexible digital input switching matrix, audio format converter and master clock
  2. Compatible to Apple Macintosh and Windows PCs
  3. Intuitive user interface and easy installation
  4. Update-capability via USB
  5. Available with black- or clear aluminum front panel
  6. Galvanic isolation up to 2500 VRMS in accordance with UL1577, respectively 4242 VPK in accordance with DIN EN 60747-5-2 (VDE 0884 part 2)
  7. Converts DSD/DoP streams (64-256) to PCM audio with selectable output clock rate
  8. Transfers USB audio streams into AES3 and S/P-DIF and outputs those to five digital audio formats simultaneously
  9. Converts between USB PCM audio, USB DSD/DoP audio, AES3 and S/P-DIF, as well as between AES11 and Word Clock
  10. Highly compatible USB audio class 2.0 driver for Windows supporting ASIO, MME, DirectSound, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, PCM 16Bit, 24Bit, 32Bit and Float-32Bit at all clock rates between 44.1kHzand 192.0kHz
  11. Ultra-low jitter Word Clock generation with clock rates up to 1,536.0 kHz
  12. Scalable to FS1x512 clock rates, 22,5792 MHz & 24,576 MHz, for e.g. high-end audio interfaces
  13. Locks to Rubidium- (10 MHz), Cesium- (5 MHz) and GPS clock references
  14. Generates Word Clocks, Super Clocks, AES3 + S/P-DIF blanks simultaneously
  15. Uninterruptable, fail-safe clock generation in all operation modes
  16. Eliminates so-called digital "clicks and pops"
  17. Individual lock indicators for the clock or audio reference and the re-clock reference
  18. USB, AES/EBU, AES/EBUid and S/P-DIF interfaces in one box
  19. S/P-DIF interconnections via BNC, RCA and optical interfaces available as in- and outputs
  20. Front panel lock-out for preventing of misuse
  21. Rack-space-saving 9.5" housing
  22. Built-in, universal power supply

First Impressions

I'll do detailed reviews of both units as soon as I am able to do so.

Let me first say that The MC-1.2 is outstanding. I currently have an Audio-GD DI-U8 and CI Audio Transient MKII, It clearly bests the Audio-GD and, in my system, narrowly beats out the Transient MKII to my ears (note that I don't have the optional linear power supply for the Transient). The Mutec MC-1.2 isn't cheap at ~$460 street, but it's less than the CI Audio.

It does nothing wrong, and provides a very clean BNC signal to my DACs (I also tried RCA). It can be powered by USB, but it's better to plug it into with a power cord unless you simply cannot do so.

The MC-3+ Smart Clock USB has a street price of about $1030. At the price, it's actually more expensive than the MHDT Labs Atlantis DAC that I'm feeding a BNC signal.

But I must say, this is the first USB interface I've ever used that I immediately thought, "Oh..." That thought can roughly translate to, "oh my gosh I'm actually sure I hear improvement." That lead to some A/B testing between the MC-3+ USB and the stock USB of my DAC. I was able to identify it blindly as my wife switched them every single time.

"Crap," I thought. "I'm about to keep a USB -> S/P-DIF converter that costs more than my DAC." Further, I decided to buy a second MC-3+ Smart Clock USB. One for home, and one for work. Thankfully I overpaid on my taxes all year so I didn't destroy our entire bank account.

Anyway, discuss! Peruse the various other forums that have been commenting on these in more detail. I'll update this thread as others engage and I spend more time with them.

They are highly recommended.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 44
"Improved, next-generation REVIVE re-clocking and 1G-Clock technology by MUTEC" is what their website claims for this DDC.
http://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

I've read some reviews that it beats the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB ddc which a lot of folks in the audio industry regard as the ultimate USB to Spdif converter.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 44
  "Improved, next-generation REVIVE re-clocking and 1G-Clock technology by MUTEC" is what their website claims for this DDC.
http://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

I've read some reviews that it beats the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB ddc which a lot of folks in the audio industry regard as the ultimate USB to Spdif converter.

Well some have prefered the Yellowtec PUC2 over the BA - as I read on the USB shootout thread on CA.

I read that too, but it doesn't give much detail.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 44
Waiting for more details too, in particular as to what clocks they use if it is
NDK's, Crysteks, or maybe their own proprietary clocks (just guessing here) before I pull the trigger on one of these.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 44
  Waiting for more details too, in particular as to what clocks they use if it is
NDK's, Crysteks, or maybe their own proprietary clocks (just guessing here) before I pull the trigger on one of these.

I see you have the Pro3a - excellent DDC.

But the new class of XMOS are unbelievable - I just started a new thread on them.  Cheap too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 44
Really happy with the PRO3a specially connected to the iFi micro iUSB 3.0 which IMO takes the PRO3a to another level.
Waiting for a comparison between the PRO3a and the Mutec. Hopefully somebody will do head-to-head.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 44
  Really happy with the PRO3a specially connected to the iFi micro iUSB 3.0 which IMO takes the PRO3a to another level.
Waiting for a comparison between the PRO3a and the Mutec. Hopefully somebody will do head-to-head.

Well on that thread - I will be comparing the Mutec 3+ to the new Pro4a.

I have a Pro3a that died on me - but had a long time to compare to other DDC's.  The PUC2 just edging it out (both fed by a linear power supply).

Now this new class of XMOS XU208 devices just appeared - and the best of them is on a whole other level.  I mean a major step-up over the Pro3a and the PUC2 lite.

DIYinHK agreed to replace the dead Pro3a with the new version - due out in a few weeks.  The Pro4a will be using the 1000mips XU208 I understand.

Pretty exciting stuff!

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 44
^Eagerly waiting for your results. Do you happen to know the specs of the new PRO4a?
  Is it going to be far better than the Pro3a in your opinion? I might just have to pull the trigger on that one instead of the Mutec.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 44
I am considering picking up an MC3+ USB. Presently using the Bryston BUC-1, which is now several years old. Does anyone have experience with these two units? I am open to upgrading to MC3+ USB if I can hear some user feedback. I've read some reviews but still a bit unsure. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 44
Anyone knows if the 1.2 is detected as a 24-bit or a 32-bit UAC2 device on Linux or maybe MacOS? I asked Mutec support and they answered 24-bits due to SPDIF but I have my doubts as according to the specs it should support 32 bits (with truncation when outputting to SPDIF likely). Without going into details I need a DDC that is a 24-bit max UAC2 device.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 44
I like my MC3+ USB
I am feeding it Amazon Music HD's 192k 24bit output from my MacBook Pro
via (long!) 5 meter Furutech Formula 2 Type A to Type B USB Cable (using a USB A-C adapter)
I output AES from the MC3+ USB via a 110 ohm XLR cable
Into a the AES in on a Grace Designs M902 headphone / speaker pre amp
Feeding self powered ADAM A5X speakers + a sub

I have read the clock can get tighter with multiple MC3+ USB units, so I am toying with getting a 2nd one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back