Must Have Albums for Radiohead Fans
Oct 20, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 28
Anything by Massive Attack or Coldplay.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their first, Asleep in the Back, opened to high praise and is a very cohesive and mature "debut" album. I'd say it is probably the best introduction to the band, if only for the fact that I'd recommend picking up everything and you can go chronologically if you start here.

That's the right answer. Kind of a mix of Radiohead and Peter Gabriel. The latter would be a great choice for Radiohead fans that like their adventurous and arty side, especially in the earlier PG days like III (or Melt as it's known nowadays). Sounds almost like a Best of Peter Gabriel when I listen to it today. Just a colossal record from the beginning "Intruder", built around a very cool Phil Collins drum track, to the beautiful and epic "Biko" closer, that strongly hinted at where he was headed next in his African-inspired world music and collaborations.

Quote:

These albums sound great on headphones, there is no unnecessary compression, etc.

Wow, while the debut sounds pretty nice by modern pop standards, by the time that third CD hit the market, their sound had become pretty compressed and congested. Course, I guess so has Radiohead, though Godrich still manages to get a lushness to the sound. Regardless, Elbow is a good choice, and I do also like that third one, but after getting to know and love it, I can't say it has held up as well as the first. Just something more loveable about that debut.

Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd and Mercury Rev and The Verve and Catherine Wheel, and a bunch more come to mind. But just to pick one, assuming most people probably have the classics by Gabriel and Floyd and the rest, I'd say Chrome by Catherine Wheel. Rocks hard at times, great production, good lyric themes, but still has some of the Pink Floyd ethereal sound too. Their peak, for me, but the debut is a knockout too. Kind of went in a different direction after this, and I did follow, but became more and more disappointed with each successive record. Those first two are gems, though.

Or maybe Sunny Day Real Estate How It Feels To Be Something On. Kind of a left-field comparison, but to me this record moves in that same Smith's style of emotional British guitar rock, with a mix of progressive elements.

Best one not mentioned so far but seemingly perfect for Radiohead and/or Pink Floyd fans: Spiritualized Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 28
David Grey = Radiohead for your parents
Coldplay = Radiohead for your girlfriend
Elbow = RH for your 'cool' friend
Rufus Wainwright = RH for your gay, theatrical brother
Clinic = RH for Radiohead
...somethin' like that

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always had some association in my mind with Radiohead fans and Sigur Rós fans, so

Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun

Agreed.

Thom Yorke's solo album was good too, although in my opinion a little underdeveloped.

Down here in Texas, radiohead fans are also usually into Explosions in the Sky, sometimes Midlake as well, and often other stuff like Beirut, Architecture in Helsinki, Pavement, etc.

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 28
Another couple artists I'd throw into the mix are Blonde Redhead and DJ Shadow. Also, I think that Coldplay's b-sides rank them much more closely to Radiohead than anything that's come out on their major releases.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another couple artists I'd throw into the mix are Blonde Redhead ...

Yea, I tend to like "Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons" better than any Radiohead album (some nice fan raves at amazon, I don't think most critics really picked up on how good it was at the time in 2000), and while this year's "23" is a bit lightweight, still one of my favorite listens. The Blonde Radiohead tag is used in a not too complimentary way by some, but there are some common elements they share, though I think both have grown into unique bands. Radiohead is consistently much better in the live setting, that's for sure.

One that I've mentioned a few times around here this year is the latest from Shearwater called "Palo Santo". Released last year without too much fanfare, but to much critical acclaim, then they signed to Matador early this year and re-recorded a few of the songs and remastered it as a 2-CD/LP set. Unfortunately, they did remaster it quite a bit louder, but still a great record. Need to get ahold of the LP set and find out how that sounds. Very dramatic at times, other times very quiet and acoustic, kind of a combination of latter era Talk Talk / Mark Hollis, and some Radiohead bits, and Jeff Buckley. Very solid.

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miles Davis is an influence to Radiohead??

Considering that the members of Radiohead are all voracious music lovers, they've probably all been into Miles Davis at one point or another, especially Jonny, who played trumpet in school.

The goal isn't to sound like your influences, it's to take what you love about them and combine those ideas to make something new and different. This is why Radiohead doesn't do straight-up cool or acid jazz.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back