Must Have Albums for Radiohead Fans
Oct 19, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
what do you think are mandatory albums to own for fans of ***WARNING: EXTREMELY BIASED STATEMENT COMING UP*** the greatest band in the world.. not including Radiohead's own albums or solo projects.. cause uh that's just obvious.

for those who aren't too big on Radiohead here are some of their influences:
-Queen
-Elvis Costello
-Joy Division
-R.E.M.
-Pixies
-The Smiths
-Sonic Youth
-DJ Shadow
-Massive Attack
-The Beatles
-The Beach Boys
-Miles Davis
-Pink Floyd

...maybe my opinion isn't so biased after all...

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 28
Came here to post what goldenratiophi did. In Rainbows has a lot of parts that sound very similar to Agaetis Byrjun.

Also, GY!BE's F# A# oo. Not so much in song structure, but a lot of the elements used are very similar between the two groups, barring vocals of course.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 28
R.E.M. - Up

Incidentally, I don't like Radiohead that much. Not for want of trying. I should LOVE them by all rights, but I've just never managed to mesh with a song or lose myself in an album. Parts of Kid A and OK Computer get me sometimes though.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Muse - Absolution

Yup

How about:

Unbelievable Truth: Almost Here -- Thom Yorke's brother

Elbow: all three of their albums

Mansun: Six

Doves: Last Broadcast

Leaves: Angela Test

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 28
Black Holes and Revelations and Origin of Symmetry are also good albums by Muse

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi maybe??

I kinda like the Eels albums also, usually put them in the same playlist along with radiohead.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 28
I love Radiohead, but I don't really like a lot of their influences, so I'm not sure they're the best places for everyone to start.

I'm not saying that any of these even come close to Radiohead, but here's where I looked for my Radiohead-ish fix between RH albums:

Remy Zero - Villa Elaine
Muse - Showbiz
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Coldplay - Parachutes
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
Travis - The Man Who

The running theme was vocalists who really tried hard to sing well, accompanied by fairly rockin' or poignant music. I guess U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind could be added. I also thought that the song "Sometimes" by Ours had a kind of Radiohead/Bono/Buckley vibe to the vocal. After 2002, I started branching out further to less mainstream-ish music, so that's where my recommendations for Radiohead-like artists end.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll second the recommendations for Unbelievable Truth and Mansun. It's hard to believe that Unbelievable Truth recordings could be overlooked to the degree that they were, since the band wrote some really good late-'90s alternative rock. I wonder what Andy Yorke is doing these days...

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 28
Almost Here is 30 cents ($3 shipping) on Amazon.

And I'll second Remy Zero's Villa Elaine and Ours' Distorted Lullabies.

And hey the Sub.Bionic album is a penny ($3 shipping).

And Ether Song by Turin Brakes may be a bit of a stretch but I'd throw it in.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 28
Elbow's asleep in the back comes to mind. Quite similar to Radiohead different enough to be great by their own right.

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 28
hmm... they don't necessarily have to sound similar to Radiohead.. in fact, the more original the better..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elbow's asleep in the back comes to mind. Quite similar to Radiohead different enough to be great by their own right.

That's what i'm talking about..."different enough to be great by their own right"...and the less similar the better

for example bands like Muse and Coldplay, who are always being compared to Radiohead, are pretty good, but sometimes...in fact, most of the time...they tend to sound too mainstream/simple for me... makes me feel like i'm in some teen movie... and don't get me wrong i still listen to them and enjoy listening to them... especially albums like Muse - showbiz/Absolution and Coldplay - Parachutes... but i can't listen to them for too long before my mind begins to fatigue...then again maybe it's just me.

i deeply enjoy discovering bands who have more originality than that.. Sigur Ros and Godspeed are great examples.. now that's what i call post-rock "grandiose" music

other examples:
-Thee More Shallows - More Deep Cuts
-Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
-DeVotchKa - How It Ends
-Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do
-Clap Your Hands Say Yes - Clap Your Hands Say Yes
-Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
-Arcade Fire - Funeral
-Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
-The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s
-Ghostland Observatory - Paparazzi Lightning
-Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
-Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
-Air - Moon Safari

btw, which Elbow album should i start with?

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, which Elbow album should i start with?

That's a tough one. I'd say their third album, Leaders of the Free World, is their poppiest, and many would call it their weakest, but even so its Metacritic scores are high ( http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...ofthefreeworld ), it's a great listen beginning to end, and it has some of their most endearing work such as Station Approach, The Stops, the title track, The Everthere, and My Very Best.

Their second album, Cast of Thousands, is less poppy but possibly more rewarding over time. It is essential due to modern classics like Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, and Not a Job.

Their first, Asleep in the Back, opened to high praise and is a very cohesive and mature "debut" album. I'd say it is probably the best introduction to the band, if only for the fact that I'd recommend picking up everything and you can go chronologically if you start here.

These albums sound great on headphones, there is no unnecessary compression, etc. Guy Garvey's lyrics are beyond reproach and intricate enough that you can find your own meanings (or go to songmeanings.net for others' takes). Also, Elbow has their fourth album due within the next few months (late 07 or early 08)!

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Muse - Absolution

Agreed.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a tough one. I'd say their third album, Leaders of the Free World, is their poppiest, and many would call it their weakest, but even so its Metacritic scores are high ( http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...ofthefreeworld ), it's a great listen beginning to end, and it has some of their most endearing work such as Station Approach, The Stops, the title track, The Everthere, and My Very Best.

Their second album, Cast of Thousands, is less poppy but possibly more rewarding over time. It is essential due to modern classics like Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, and Not a Job.

Their first, Asleep in the Back, opened to high praise and is a very cohesive and mature "debut" album. I'd say it is probably the best introduction to the band, if only for the fact that I'd recommend picking up everything and you can go chronologically if you start here.

These albums sound great on headphones, there is no unnecessary compression, etc. Guy Garvey's lyrics are beyond reproach and intricate enough that you can find your own meanings (or go to songmeanings.net for others' takes). Also, Elbow has their fourth album due within the next few months (late 07 or early 08)!

I couldn't agree more. Asleep in the Back is their best IMO, and Powder Blue and Newborn are simply beautiful songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back