Must decide which low-cost iem to order
Jun 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LiranV

100+ Head-Fier
For a few weeks now i was looking for the right iem for me...
Now i"m "stuck" with those options:

iMetal iM-590

HEAD-DIRECT RE2

MP4 Nation's Beta BRAINWAVZ

My source is Cowon s9 + E5.
Which iem should i order?

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 18
Jun 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 18
I'd say the Maximo. Ive never heard the other two, however, I do own the iM-490 and I love it to death.

Im sure the 590 sounds great.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To go with an S9, I might suggest the Maximo. I have had a couple Cowon's and think the synergy between those two would work nice. Like in this thread..http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...esired-423624/ the more bassy of the three would be a safe bet.

Jant:

Any chance you can comment on the Maximo performance versus new super.fi 5? I gave up PhonakPFE (too little mids and upper end is peaky with grays and limited with blacks).

Just got Etymotic ER-4ps to try for better isolation. Man! are these things peaky, no where near natural sounding. Upper mids have a peak that adds stuff to the mix you never hear in real life and the upper end is just too peaky. Bass is defined but overshadowed by the mess up top. Vocal clarity is decent though. And the pain, Triple flanges just plain hurt. Complies make them much more bearable but the sound sig is not my cup of tea.

I really do not want to spend much on portable iems/canals since will be using biking and hiking in noisy environment. I'd love to have some Westone 3s but cannot think they would stay in play while being active.

Anyway your thought on the Maximo i590 vs the above?

thanks

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 18
From another thread, it was claimed that the 590s were similiar to the Monster Turbines in flavouring as well as much better in SQ.

Edit: Nevermind, I've discovered a fair share of reviews which claim the opposite.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiranV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a few weeks now i was looking for the right iem for me...
Now i"m "stuck" with those options:

iMetal iM-590

HEAD-DIRECT RE2

MP4 Nation's Beta BRAINWAVZ

My source is Cowon s9 + E5.
Which iem should i order?

Here's an idea for the adventurous of heart. Go to Mouser and buy a pair of decent drivers, such as the Knowles Acoustics CI-22955 (which is found in some of the best IEMs on the market) for $53/pair. Then go to Walmart, with your drivers in hand, and pick out a hanging-hook piece of plastic crap for $10 (provided it has a shell big enough to fit your new drivers). Carefully open up the plastic shells, desolder the drivers from their wires, find a way to anchor your new drivers in, solder the wires back on and then superglue the whole thing shut (without supergluing your fingers to anything). For about $60, you'll have the most amazing pair of Walmart IEMs and your friends will be in awe of your genius and ingenuity.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From another thread, it was claimed that the 590s were similiar to the Monster Turbines in flavouring as well as much better in SQ.

I have not had the opportunity to hear the Trubines.

I have owned Ety ER-4p, Atrios M5, Shure SE530, Phonak PFE, Apple Dual drive iems, Denon c751, Denon C551, Nuforce 7s, Creative EP-630, Yuin PK3, HD REO2, and kicked all to the curb for one reason or another.

One I did like for the 30 minutes I heard at CanJam were the Westone 3.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 18
why did they ne-7s get kicked to the curb bixby? seems to me that they and the im-590s are similar and in direct competition. I'm liking the look of the maximos better and it seems that they offer better stock tips (is this true?) but I've also seen glowing reviews of the nuforces... would the nuforces require other tips?

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did they ne-7s get kicked to the curb bixby? seems to me that they and the im-590s are similar and in direct competition. I'm liking the look of the maximos better and it seems that they offer better stock tips (is this true?) but I've also seen glowing reviews of the nuforces... would the nuforces require other tips?

From my post to another headfier as to why I did not care for the NE-7s. "the Nuforce which do many things well but have a weird cupped midrange on voices and a weird treble peak that makes cymbals sound more unnatural"

I have no idea how the Maximo sounds and no idea about tips. I tried a few different tips on the Nuforce and could not get past the above hurdle for me.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 18
iM590 has the most balanced performance of all three. Nuff said.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 18
ClieOS, is the im590 is the best iem's i can find in their price range?
Edit:
And another thing is where i can buy the im590 from?

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

ClieOS, is the im590 is the best iem's i can find in their price range?

As far as I know, yes.

Quote:

And another thing is where i can buy the im590 from?

There aren't many places selling iM-590 at the moment (but I heard Maximo is trying to find dealer / distributor all around the world). The only place listed on Maximo website is Maxwho.com, which I assume is Maximo's own sale portal. They also sell iM590 over eBay under their eBay store.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 18
Ok so the im590 beats the re2 and the beta's..
But how they are compare to Denon AH-C551K and if i should wait to the SoundMAGIC PL-50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back