Musiland US 03 (03US, US03...you know what I mean).
Jun 28, 2011 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

svyr

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100002155.htm
http://www.soomal.com/images/doc/20110627/00011734_01.jpg
http://www.soomal.com/images/doc/20110627/00011738_01.jpg
http://www.soomal.com/images/doc/20110627/00011739.jpg

Musiland release Monitor 03 US sound card, the card is still using FPGA, the structure of the previous generation is not a big difference, but the hardware to do a new design. 03 US using PCM1798 DAC chip, performance has improved, headphone output section to be strengthened. In order to better power supply to optimize the power supply design, compatible with USB3.0/2.0 take power [3.0 to provide greater output power]. Soomal will be held July 10, 2011 release of the product evaluation report.

Optical out/usb in, line out, 2HP ports (relay switches Line and HP in the control panel)

The usual xilinx fpga, (well, not usual, same as MD11)
PCM1798 DAC - http://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=PCM1798+DAC&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
TI TPA6120 HP amp.(resistors and caps) err https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf ?
The silver/gold bar thing seems to be the Silicon Labs 598 prog clock used in MD30 (opt and usb i presume... Since USB is in bulk mode, either that's the required clock for the USB 2.0 implementation... Or maybe a clock for opt out :D (idk if it needs one :D ))

USB3 via Cypress cy7c68013a (2.0 compatible) and bus powered (lol what, http://www.cypress.com/?rID=38801 no usb 3 support on that chip, just the plug then?).
Presumably in bulk transfer mode again. (error checking and retransmission for USB mode)

LCX245 chip for opt/musilink http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/74/74LCX245.html ?
MC33079 op amp for line out. http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MC33079

The HP amp should have enough juice to power most low impedance cans and aside from the questionable MC33079 quad op-amp on line out, it should be an interesting transport/budget source. (I presume the price will be around 150-200 USD)

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 21
here's an interesting blurb on usb 3 from musiland http://musiland.com.cn/index.php/Index/show/id/127 and the announcement mirroring soomal http://musiland.com.cn/index.php/Index/show/id/126

New technology allows USB self-powered sound card has a powerful sound
Source: MUSILAND Publisher: admin Time :2011 -06-28
June 2011, Beijing. MUSILAND Audio Labs ongoing research has made new breakthroughs.
High-efficiency DC-DC buck, boost, anti-pressure circuit technology research and development, more than 90% of the actual performance of available circuits can be achieved. With such a circuit, you can press the power supply over USB 90%, used in various parts of the circuit. Boost and anti-voltage power supply circuit, but also to the analog audio circuitry provides a high enough voltage, so as to enhance the audio output level and power. The actual measured power in USB2.0, you can output up to 1W audio power to drive headphones, and power USB3.0, you can output up to 2W audio power to drive headphones.
High-performance headphone amplifier is the key to enhance the audio output power, power not only reduces power consumption, but also enhance the headphone drive capability. After determination of the new technology can guarantee to 32-300 ohm headphones at the same time provide sufficient power to ensure that distortion as low as 0.005%, while the dynamic range greater than 110dB.
Application of new technologies, making the USB self-powered sound card can have a powerful sound, which is the second in 2009, the state introduced high-definition music USB audio chipset has once again set off in the field of USB sound card technology revolution. This subversion of the traditional ideas of technology, although the short term is difficult to swallow, but it indeed been overcome MUSILAND Audio Labs.
New technology will first be applied Monitor Series (listen) products for the enthusiast compact, convenient, powerful sound quality musical products.

Somehow I doubt they'll be outputting either 1W or 2W into the TPA6120 even at 32 ohm, but who knows :D... As for the later bolded bit... Musiland, stop quoting the damn specs... as low as 0.005% at what? 1mw into 16 ohms :D ? Please...

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 21
新技术让USB自供电声卡拥有强悍音质
文章来源:MUSILAND 发布者:admin 发布时间:2011-06-28
2011年6月,北京。MUSILAND Audio Labs持续的技术研究又取得了新的突破。
高效率DC-DC降压、升压、反压电路技术的研究和发展,使得90%以上效能的实际可用电路得以实现。借助此类电路,可以压榨USB 90%以上供电功率,应用于各部分电路。升压和反压供电电路,又能给模拟音频电路提供足够高的电压,从而提升音频输出电平和功率。实际测定,在USB2.0供电时,可以输出高至1W的音频功率来驱动耳机,而USB3.0供电时,可以输出高至2W的音频功率来驱动耳机。
高效能的耳机放大电路也是提升音频输出功率的关键,不仅仅降低了电源功率的消耗,也能提升耳机驱动能力。经过测定,新技术可以保证在给32—300欧姆的耳机提供足够功率的同时,保证失真低至0.005%,而动态范围大于110dB。
20110628_125556_127.png

新技术的应用,使得USB自供电声卡也可以拥有强悍的音质,这是继2009年,乐之邦推出高清USB音频芯片组以来,又一次在USB声卡领域掀起的技术革命。这种颠覆传统思想的技术,虽然短期难以让人接受,但它确确实实的被MUSILAND Audio Labs攻克了。
新技术将首先应用于Monitor系列(聆听)产品中,为发烧友提供轻巧、方便、音质强悍的音乐欣赏类产品

http://www.musiland.com.cn/index.php/Product/show/id/192

[size=medium]·[/size]MUSILAND Audio Labs出品的高清音频芯片组,支持USB3.0供电、USB2.0高速接口协议,可实现32Bit/192kHz音效处理。
[size=medium]·高达[/size]120dB SNRDNR D/A转换性能,超低失真线路、耳机输出。
[size=medium]·第六代高精度[/size]POWER-UP电源处理电路,提升电源电压和纯净度,堪比高精度外置供电。
[size=medium]·高效率放大电路,利用每一毫瓦[/size]USB供电,转换成音频功率输出。
[size=medium]·[/size]2个耳机接口,自动适应高低阻抗耳机。
[size=medium]·可良好驱动[/size]32-300欧姆各种灵敏度耳机,无需外加耳机放大器。
[size=medium]·耳机、线路驱动控制切换,独立音量记忆[/size]
[size=medium]·[/size]MULINK高清音频输出接口,可输出高达32Bit/192kHz的次世代高清音频数据。
[size=medium]· 精密[/size]S/PDIF发射器,光纤输出支持PCMDolby DigitalDTS编码数字信号,并支持MMDIMUSILAND解码器无缝连接。
[size=medium]·专门[/size]ASIO驱动,支持Windows XPWindows VISTAWindows7等主流Windows操作系统。
[size=medium]·精巧铝合金外壳,最佳屏蔽效果,最小干扰。[/size]

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 21
[size=medium]·[/size]MUSILAND Audio Labs出品的高清音频芯片组,支持USB3.0供电、USB2.0高速接口协议,可实现32Bit/192kHz音效处理。
[size=medium]·高达[/size]120dB SNRDNR D/A转换性能,超低失真线路、耳机输出。
[size=medium]·第六代高精度[/size]POWER-UP电源处理电路,提升电源电压和纯净度,堪比高精度外置供电。
[size=medium]·高效率放大电路,利用每一毫瓦[/size]USB供电,转换成音频功率输出。
[size=medium]·[/size]2个耳机接口,自动适应高低阻抗耳机。
[size=medium]·可良好驱动[/size]32-300欧姆各种灵敏度耳机,无需外加耳机放大器。
[size=medium]·耳机、线路驱动控制切换,独立音量记忆[/size]
[size=medium]·[/size]MULINK高清音频输出接口,可输出高达32Bit/192kHz的次世代高清音频数据。
[size=medium]· 精密[/size]S/PDIF发射器,光纤输出支持PCMDolby DigitalDTS编码数字信号,并支持MMDIMUSILAND解码器无缝连接。
[size=medium]·专门[/size]ASIO驱动,支持Windows XPWindows VISTAWindows7等主流Windows操作系统。
[size=medium]·精巧铝合金外壳,最佳屏蔽效果,最小干扰。[/size]

Thank you, google translate....and soomal review (put some remarks regarding bs advertising in :D )
MUSLAND: ·MUSILAND Audio LabsProduced high-definition audio chipset, supportsUSB3.0Power,USB2.0High-speed interface protocol, enabling32Bit/192kHzAudio processing.
People who can read: usb 3 is only for power, the usb chip is only capable of USB2.0 Not sure where the 32b thing is from it's always been 24b. The DAC chip used is clearly 24b max http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1798.pdf

MUSLAND: * Up120 db SNR、DNR D/AConversion performance, ultra-low distortion line, headphone output
People who can read: Soomal has measured around 96dB on all analog outs. I guess you could get 120db on digital out, but that's rather moot.

MUSLAND: * Sixth-generation high-precisionPOWER-UPPower processing circuit to enhance the power supply voltage and purity, comparable to precision external power supply.
People who can read: six generation what? this is the first time you draw power from USB3.0 and the new spec higher output usb power section :D

MUSLAND: ·2A headphone jack, automatically adapt to the high and low impedance headphones. Can be a good driver32-300Ohm range of sensitivity headphones, no external headphone amplifier.
People who can read: oh you mean like MD11 adapts to 300 ohm hp by sounding like cr@p? Please note, the max output with USB 2 will be lower, since the max current draw and voltage supplied by the bus are lower

* Headphones, line driver control switch, separate volume memory

·MULINKHigh-definition audio output interface, output up32Bit/192kHzNext-generation high-definition audio data.

MUSLAND: ·· PrecisionS / PDIFTransmitter, optical fiber output supportPCM、Dolby Digital、DTSCoded digital signal, and supportMMDIAndMUSILANDDecoder seamlessly.

People who can read: lol... The Musilink interface might support it, but MD11 or US02 never supported anything but PCM. I wouldn't expect it to support DD or DTS. Oh and that also means toslink and no coax out. But who needs coax out, when you have muuusilink, right?

MUSLAND: ·* SpecialASIODriver supportWindows XP、Windows VISTA、Windows7And other mainstreamWindowsOperating system.
People who can read: Legendary quality firmware and drivers... We can all remember no driver/firmware change logs, install instructions 3 days later and tens of bugs like randomly switching channels or strange artefacts on MD11 and US02.

* Compact aluminum alloy enclosure, the best shielding, minimum interference.

Musiland, please stop bullsh!t advertising :), k?

>if you have some qestions,you can mail to support@musiland.com.cn.

and they will ignore you or pretend they don't understand what you're talking about. If you have any questions, go post on bbs.musiland.com.cn, that way they're at least forced to publicly respond. And if enough people have the same problem (like DC out on line out or HP out, they will be forced to respond). You should really be ashamed of your customer support level for people who can't speak chinese. That said, the moderators on the bbs do try to be helpful.

Actually, I have a question, is it possible to hook up an adapter to it if you run via USB 2 to supply enough power for full output like it was using USB3 power?

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 21
Musiland has introduced a new version of their MONITOR series of USB audio interfaces. The Monitor 03 US will be available in July and incorporates a series of advancements as summarized in the table below.
You can see from the photo the I2S lines (they are on the same pins as before). Like before, easy to tap to feed a higher-end external DAC. Is it worth it to get the new 03 US for modding? Possibly if you also plan to use the DAC and headphone sections are the enhancement are mostly in those areas.
Enhancements in the USB/FPGA sections are small and perhaps not worthwhile to pay 3X the price of a Monitor MINI
Comparison with 02US

Feature 02US 03US Comparison
USB Interface CY7C68013A-56PVXC CY7C68013A- 56LTXC Same device, different packaging SSOP vs QFN. Still USB2 speeds since CY is just barely releasing the USB3 version of the device
Clock 24 Mhz Crystal 24 MHz CTS Oscillator Phase Jitter (12kHz-20MHz): < 1 ps RMS. Same as before, it provides the reference clock for the CY USB chip which then feeds the FPGA
FPGA XC3A50A XC3S200A The larger FPGA has 4 DCMs that can be dedicated to generate the 44.1 and 48K family of sample rates. Rather than reloading the multipliers every time there is a change in sample frequency family, they can be loaded at all times enabling fast switching of sample frequency [How the clocks are generated]. Thus there is no “fast” and “precision” Sample Rate Control modes in the Musiland control panel
DAC PCM1793 PCM1798 Dynamic Range: 113 dB vs 123 dB
THD+N: 0.001% vs 0.0005%
I/V OP275 MC33079 Noise: 6 nV/√Hz vs 4.5 nV/ Hz
Distortion: 0.0006% vs 0.002%
Slew Rate: 22 V/µs vs 7.0 V/µs
Bandwidth: 9 MHz vs 16 MHz
Perhaps the weak link of the entire design? MC33079 is not a well known “audio” device (say as compared to the OPA 4134). See section below for Musiland’s point of view

Head Amp None TPA6120 03 has a high performance headphone amp: SNR: 120 dB; THD+N: 0.00014%
Output Toslink, Coax Toslink, MULINK Mulink is a Musiland proprietary interface for 32 bit transfer and beyond. It is here to connect to their DACs and future technologies
USB Interface USB2 USB3 03 has a USB3 connector, leveraging the higher power of USB3 (900mA vs 500 mA). The interface speed is still USB2 because of the CY chip used.
Power Mains DC-DC supply USB DC-DC supply According to Musiland, “new technology” has been developed for DC-DC step-uo, step-down and regulation in order to all the electronics to >90% of their performance from USB power. The first implementation of this technology is the Musiland 03 US
Street Price $125 $160 Already available at TaoBao for about 200 RMBs more than the Musiland 02US.
More Photos Soomal Soomal Overall, you can see an advancement of manufacturing technology with the use of finer-featured devices 

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 21
Musiland has introduced a new version of their MONITOR series of USB audio interfaces. The Monitor 03 US will be available in July and incorporates a series of advancements as summarized in the table below.
You can see from the photo the I2S lines (they are on the same pins as before). Like before, easy to tap to feed a higher-end external DAC. Is it worth it to get the new 03 US for modding? Possibly if you also plan to use the DAC and headphone sections are the enhancement are mostly in those areas.
Enhancements in the USB/FPGA sections are small and perhaps not worthwhile to pay 3X the price of a Monitor MINI
Comparison with 02US

Feature 02US 03US Comparison
USB Interface CY7C68013A-56PVXC CY7C68013A- 56LTXC Same device, different packaging SSOP vs QFN. Still USB2 speeds since CY is just barely releasing the USB3 version of the device
Clock 24 Mhz Crystal 24 MHz CTS Oscillator Phase Jitter (12kHz-20MHz): < 1 ps RMS. Same as before, it provides the reference clock for the CY USB chip which then feeds the FPGA
FPGA XC3A50A XC3S200A The larger FPGA has 4 DCMs that can be dedicated to generate the 44.1 and 48K family of sample rates. Rather than reloading the multipliers every time there is a change in sample frequency family, they can be loaded at all times enabling fast switching of sample frequency [How the clocks are generated]. Thus there is no “fast” and “precision” Sample Rate Control modes in the Musiland control panel
DAC PCM1793 PCM1798 Dynamic Range: 113 dB vs 123 dB
THD+N: 0.001% vs 0.0005%
I/V OP275 MC33079 Noise: 6 nV/√Hz vs 4.5 nV/ Hz
Distortion: 0.0006% vs 0.002%
Slew Rate: 22 V/µs vs 7.0 V/µs
Bandwidth: 9 MHz vs 16 MHz
Perhaps the weak link of the entire design? MC33079 is not a well known “audio” device (say as compared to the OPA 4134). See section below for Musiland’s point of view

Head Amp None TPA6120 03 has a high performance headphone amp: SNR: 120 dB; THD+N: 0.00014%
Output Toslink, Coax Toslink, MULINK Mulink is a Musiland proprietary interface for 32 bit transfer and beyond. It is here to connect to their DACs and future technologies
USB Interface USB2 USB3 03 has a USB3 connector, leveraging the higher power of USB3 (900mA vs 500 mA). The interface speed is still USB2 because of the CY chip used.
Power Mains DC-DC supply USB DC-DC supply According to Musiland, “new technology” has been developed for DC-DC step-uo, step-down and regulation in order to all the electronics to >90% of their performance from USB power. The first implementation of this technology is the Musiland 03 US
Street Price $125 $160 Already available at TaoBao for about 200 RMBs more than the Musiland 02US.
More Photos Soomal Soomal Overall, you can see an advancement of manufacturing technology with the use of finer-featured devices 

As pointed out slightly above and after the soomal review, the thd+n and snr and even bit depth figures musiland quotes are pure rubbish and the measured out specs by soomal are more or less the same as US02 (plus there's no more coax out...seriously, who needs musilink? especially INSTEAD of coax out). The real improvements are the use of the same FPGA as in MD11+cts clock (judging by MD11 that would mean to huge delays between SR changes), and the half-decent HP section (for low impedance HP I'm guessing, probably up to 64 ohm in reality), which unfortunately needs USB 3 to be half decent (not sure about musiland's new 'patented blabla dc-dc + filtering' usb power cleaning... Wonder if soomal had any pics of the power section parts and whether it's really there). That said, if you have USB 3 and want a semi-decent USB DAC this is probably worth considering. (windows only though). It might even be portable, although I'm not sure how much power USB3.0 capable laptops will supply (also, Windows only). I'd also again question soomal's evaluation of the HP section, since they still fail to produce measurements at various loads and power outputs and don't even state the load and power output used for the single measurement provided.

I declare that this is not advertising,i saw this question on google, i just want to try help somebody,but my english is to pooooor :(

That's ok, thank you for the info. Some of the information, including pricing/about the power section/clock was useful. (unfortunately it will probably be about $180-200 by the time people on ebay or tam audio or something start selling it). If possible please translate the diagram http://www.musiland.com.cn/Attachments/201106/20110628_125556_127.png
I'll point out the parts that are misadvertising :wink:.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm definitely looking forward to a review to see if the 03 actually comes with a decent headphone out.

With the possibility of a decent headphone out and being noticeably better than the Monitor 02 as a external dac I can actually see myself holding out of purchasing a Musiland Monitor 02 and pull the trigger on one of these.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 21
I'm definitely looking forward to a review to see if the 03 actually comes with a decent headphone out.

With the possibility of a decent headphone out and being noticeably better than the Monitor 02 as a external dac I can actually see myself holding out of purchasing a Musiland Monitor 02 and pull the trigger on one of these.

keep in mind as per soomal review you need USB3.0 sockets for the HP out to work to full power. USB2.0 sockets will work, but you will get a lower power output.

I'm pretty sure some people have already bought this one, but are just yet to post a review.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 21
According to Hifiduno, does bulk transfer mode not really affect jitter in how long the usb cable is? Is there a way to tap the board for SPDIF output since they replaced the coaxial spdif output to that mulink? I like how they're using a oscillator now instead of the crystal. It would be nice if you can use an external power supply on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back