Musiland Monitor 02 US
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,306 of 1,340
DJ, further to the reply above, it took me one more day. Last evening I added the 2 Pannys 1200uf. In addition, given what you mentioned, and that the physical proximity may indicate a related function, I added the Elna SII 470uF. This is in the slot next to the Pannys.

Then I sat down to read, with the music on. It was not yet the time for evaluation, of course. OTOH, the rest of the equipment was already warm from playing via the CDP for hours. So, I figured I would endure the early stages of the change. Any such, would have to be from the Musiland.

I expected it to sound bad'ish. It did. For about 2 hours.

Then, a remarkable change in character began to happen into the 3rd hour. I dropped the book and fully listened for an extra 3 hours. The changes stopped being fast paced into the 4th hour. I am absolutely sure that things will keep changing for a long while, at a slower rate, mainly because of the Elna.

As to how it sounded, the best way I can say it is this. Each aspect of what the new opamps had improved before, was multipied, say, 3x.

I am guessing, but I suspect that with the new caps helping on the power supply side, the LME49990 opamps are being better able to express their attributes.

Things may still go south as they mature. However, one major surprise came when I decided to compare against the CDP, at the end of the session.  I sure hope future changes in maturity don't spoil what I heard then.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,309 of 1,340
DJ, I stopped at the last point for now. Those 2 larger caps seem to "complete" the cycle as far as contributions of the better opamp. Still, I am wondering how far larger I can find good caps to fit in there, and see if further gains ensue.

You already have the Elna 470uF in there, next to the slots for the 2 1000uF that I repalced, I believe.  It could be that the Elna is also contributing. Yet, the changes is SQ are not of the kind that I would expect for a change to a similar value. My guess is that the extra dynamic life , clarity and contrast is being brought by the larger-than-stock Panny caps.

In the meantime, I am engaged in evaluating a tweak elsewhere in my system. It is a long process. Later, I'll have to re-establish a comparative framework for the Musiland tweaks to proceed.

So, for now, I can say that it was worth getting the 2 x 1200uf / 6.3v Panasonic FM to replace the 1000uF.  If you find something larger that could fit in, please let me know.

One other thing. If I put the M02 back on the computer that I used for music before, the changes are heard but never as clearly. These things become much more evident in the dedicated PC, which is optimized for music.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,311 of 1,340
Ektalog - That's exactly why you didn't hear from me for awhile.. I did many mods to my amp, several caps, opamp etc. So, I as well need to get used to the sound so that I may establish a base for comparison. In addition my listening room has recently been changed and will change again very soon.. Currently I'm in a perfect rectangle (gotta love it!).. With time, things will stabilize and I will be able to tinker with it more. Also, I will acquire another stock MM02 (from a family member that isn't using it..) and can give a side by side comparison vs my unit. That should really help in identifying exact differences.

I recently built a computer of my own, but it had to serve as a performance and entertainment rig. The loud beast is set up in the room opposite of my listening room for obvious reasons. I've looked up plenty of other sites on the issue but was wondering if you could quickly list what you find most important when constructing a dedicated music pc..

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,312 of 1,340
I have a monitor 02. Using the latest driver, WinXP ASIO worked fine but no sound on Win 7 ASIO. Analog works fine. When playing music (ASIO) I see the sound bars on the ASIO device move in the audio control panel. The ASIO volume is 100%. Same problem on 3 win7 PC’s. Any suggestions?

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,313 of 1,340
Quote:
I have a monitor 02. Using the latest driver, WinXP ASIO worked fine but no sound on Win 7 ASIO. Analog works fine. When playing music (ASIO) I see the sound bars on the ASIO device move in the audio control panel. The ASIO volume is 100%. Same problem on 3 win7 PC’s. Any suggestions?

I discovered the error of my ways! I had inadvertently reconfigured my foobar directory and the ASIO driver was not installed.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,315 of 1,340
Well after deleted many registry keys and uninstalling the MM02 in device manager I was able to install latest drivers. However I screwed something up in the regsitry and had no sound coming out of browsers and various apps (music and games worked fine though). SO I tried the Windows 8 "Refresh" thinking it would be like a repar thing, but it re-installed the OS. Pretty lame, but now I have everything working great. Still love this little device, crystal clear sound.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,320 of 1,340
 I didn't see anything on Musiland website promoting a  "new" version of the Musiland Monitor 02 Dragon? I believe the release was in 2012 commemorating the year of the Dragon. BTW, I saw cheaper price on Aliexpress, delivered to US. (see my next post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back