Musiland Monitor 02 US
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #1,262 of 1,340
I recently bought a musiland monitor 03, and am currently using it at work.

I'm really enjoying it, but I have noticed that it can be a bright, or harsh during certain passages.
Does it settle down after a while ? I plan on playing pink noise through it while I'm not at work, get some hours on it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,263 of 1,340

Quote:
I can not see any reason why some one would purchase a Xonar Essence St over a Musiland Monitor 02us.

The ST costs more (then there is the cost of upgrading the opamps)

Even with upgraded opamps the ST is only as good as the monitor 02us not better.

The musiland gets the dac out of the horribly noisy environment of the PC

The musiland has the option of outputing its digital signal at the same frequency as the source (The ST wont do this automatically)

I am currently using my monitor 02us to get a digital signal from usb of my computer and output it via coaxial to my audio-gd reference 1 dac. The sound quality is superb.

I am waiting for my m2tech hiface to arrive which I hope will be even better than the musiland for this task. If not I am fully content anyway.

regards

macrog

Hi macrog,

Sorry for not reading more than 80 pages, but did you compare Hiface m2tech to  monitor 02 US?
Thanks

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,265 of 1,340
Hey guys,

I have been looking for specifications for the 02....I currently have one.

Does anyone know if it is powerful enough to drive DT880 600ohm headphones?

Thanks!

May 11, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,269 of 1,340
Hi

Thinking of getting one of these but wanted to check it will do what I want first.

I want to take USB output from PC into the Musiland, then run toslink out to my AVR receiver (for DTS/DD etc).
I also want to run the coax out to a stereo DAC/pre-amp for music.
I would then power up the appropriate amp to listen to either Movies (via toslink) or Music (via Coax).

Would I need to fiddle in the device control panel to switch between coax and Toslink or do they run in parallel carrying the same signal?

Also, I guess the analogue outputs (2xRCA) can be active at the same time, say for running stereo to a 2nd system?

Finally, when passing through a 5.1 DTS is anything output on the analogue RCA's?

Finally, finally!  will it pass though 7.1, DSD, etc etc?

thanks
Dave 

May 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,270 of 1,340
Looking for someone who's used their Musiland 02 with Symphones Magnum headphones. I'm finding the sound to be underwhelming, and can't honestly say it sounds better than a Musiland/Sennheiser HD555 combo. My amp is the Objective2.
I'm hoping the Musiland is just not a good match. It sounds very good with my AudioEngine 5 speakers, though.

May 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,271 of 1,340
I don't find the headphone amp that impressive. I have used it with Grado 225s/RS1s. WAY too bright for me. Could be synergy.. Then again its too bright with my JMR Duets as well.

Considering that, I figured I would play around to decrease the edge a bit.. I have completed all of the upgrades that fab_flix performed. I upgraded all of the caps (Elna Silmic II, and Pana FM series where the Elnas wouldn't fit..  2x Mundorf) and changed the opamp as well. I had it done by a local shop and unfortunately all at once (student = no extra play time). I currently have a touch over 300 hours on it (24/7 white noise). I have to agree with him.. the bass is definitely more controlled/punchy. The treble has more air to it (took a bit of the edge away, but lets face it, its still digital). He stated that the voices were more forward than previous, I would have described it as more layered as well. Overall I would say the DAC became more refined top to bottom. Is it worth it? Debatable, but for most I think not unless you posses the skills/knowledge to do the work yourself.

If you read back you will see that I was having compatibility issues with the MM02 on an AMD-based system while playing high res tracks. The last few updates have made that a thing of the past (thus prompting me to mod..). I feel I will be moving on shortly.. though it may end up as a transport for me.

May 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,272 of 1,340
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience how this dac does paired with HFI-580 ?

I have a Monitor 02 US with a ProLine 750 (40 Ohms), it sounds great for music, could be a little more agressive for movies (it's due to 5.1->stereo normalized downmix matrix, the sound is not louder enough).

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #1,275 of 1,340
Hey everyone,

Just posted my Monitor 02US for sale in the Source for sale forum in case anyone is interested.

Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back