Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jan 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,247 of 1,340
Finally, I managed to install the new Monitor 03. It sounds better than my old card Audigy SE, the sound is deeper, with more details, but the difference isn't major, at least not with my configuration (Yamaha AX-596 + Yamaha NS-777), I'm curious if the difference will be more pronounced after burn-in.
I installed driver version 2.2.0.0 and when I open the panel I'm geting noise in my speakers and headphones. After I close the panel the sound becomes normal, is this a known issue?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,250 of 1,340
I've owned a Musiland Monitor 02 US for about 18 months, and used it for the RCA outs to my home stereo system (big improvement over my PC's onboard audio). Occasionally I've used my Senn HD280Pros with the MM 02 US to listen to music or play games. While those cans are fine for gaming, I am ready to move up to a higher-end set of headphones for music. ATM I'm trying to decide between Bayer DT880 or DT990 (600ohm) or something in that price range that will serve as my entry into Head-Fi sound.

To me, the headphone amp in the MM 02 US is barely enough for my HD280Pros (32ohm), so I would definitely want a separate headphone amp to use with a pair of hi-impedance Bayers. So I'm looking for some advice on a headphone amp that is good match for the Musiland Monitor 02 US. Right now I'm thinking about either the FiiO E9 or the Little Dot I+ hybrid or the Little Dot MKII (that last one being the limit of my budget at this time + the Bayer headphones). I know that the LD MKII puts out more power than the LD I+, but what I don't know is if I need the additional power for, say, a pair of 600ohm DT880s... And if the E9 is powerful enough -- and clean enough -- to do it, I'm leaning toward that, as I can save some money. (I just know that if I go for a tube solution I'll be rolling tubes and spending more. But I'm willing to do that if the SQ gap between the FiiO E9 and a LD tube amp is significant.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,251 of 1,340
Hi there,

I would like to ask some newbie questions.  I would like to use the Monitor02 as only a DAC.  Is this possible?

By using the line outs to an external headphone amplifier would this bypass the amplifier in the Monitor02?

Would I need to adjust the settings on the Musiland control panel?  I think maybe I would have to go to the Analog and change it from HP to Line.  Am I correct?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,252 of 1,340

Quote:
Hi there,

I would like to ask some newbie questions.  I would like to use the Monitor02 as only a DAC.  Is this possible?

By using the line outs to an external headphone amplifier would this bypass the amplifier in the Monitor02?

Would I need to adjust the settings on the Musiland control panel?  I think maybe I would have to go to the Analog and change it from HP to Line.  Am I correct?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the Monitor 02 can be used as a stand-alone DAC, using the RCA line outs, and the headphone amp is bypassed. You are correct, you have to into the Musliand control panel and select "Line" to switch from the headphone outs to the line out. Once you set it you don't have to go into the control panel again unless you want to change it to HP out. For best performance, the volume should be maxed in Windows and the Musiland control panel in order to send the full bit-rate of the signal to your amp.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,254 of 1,340

Quote:
Yes, the Monitor 02 can be used as a stand-alone DAC, using the RCA line outs, and the headphone amp is bypassed. You are correct, you have to into the Musliand control panel and select "Line" to switch from the headphone outs to the line out. Once you set it you don't have to go into the control panel again unless you want to change it to HP out. For best performance, the volume should be maxed in Windows and the Musiland control panel in order to send the full bit-rate of the signal to your amp.

Awesome!!

Thanks hypercleats.  I really appreciate it!

Take care.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,256 of 1,340
MUSILAND MONITOR 02 US FOR GAMING!!

If all I care about is sound hacking in FPS games, and am not too bothered about CMSS-3D or dolby headphones, is the Musiland better than, say, an Essence ST for games?

Has anyone tried them in fps games favourably? Has anyone compared them to a Xonar (with or without Dolby 5.1) and found them better/worse?

Thanks

Yes i have used the search function extensively.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,257 of 1,340
I am about to buy this DAC soon, but I'm still not sure. I am using Sennheiser HD 555 and a pair of Grado SR60 through my onboard audio. Will I notice enough difference? Do you think it's worth upgrading with those cans? Somehow I feel I won't notice much difference with those headphones.

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,260 of 1,340
I just acquired a used MM 02 and I have an interesting software issue.  I've read most of the 84 pages in this thread but may have missed it.

I have a laptop that I use to play music remotely through my sound system.

Laptop > MM02 > Matrix mini-i > amp.  

Laptop has Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

When using remote desktop protocol (RDP) to connect to the laptop, the Musiland Control Panel literally disappears from the screen and the button in the Notification tray disappears.  I cannot use the control panel at all.

If I use the laptop physically, or connect through LogMeIn, the control panel is present and perfectly functional.

Anyone ever experienced this?

Edit:  This also occurs with XP and Windows 7 Home Premium 64.  It also occurs with many versions of the driver.  I tried several.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back