Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jan 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,232 of 1,340
Quote:
Edit: Ok, so I did the same mod, but didn't use batteries. I used a 300W Delta computer PSU that I had lying around. Cut both red and black wires and connected them to the Delta PSU.

You did this just now? Did it survive
biggrin.gif
?

Anyway, if it is a switching PSU, you may get the benefit of more stable a supply but "not necessarily" of reduced power dirt. It is hard to tell...but an improvement IS an improvement, if you can hear it. Then, if you try batteries you can compare. I'll stay tuned.

Thanks for the updated list!

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,233 of 1,340
Of course it survived. I connected the red and black wire from a molex connector. For my ears, the USB connected to the PC sounds better. The soundstage is different, the voice is more present in front of the stage with the USB connected to the PC (USB 3.0). Will also try batteries when they are fully charged.

Edit: I get the best sound with the USB connected directly to the PC. Matt connected the Musiland 02 to a laptop (from what I see in the picture), maybe that's the reason why he has unstable voltage. Laptops are designed to minimize power consumption, which is not the case of PCs.

Edit2: Tried the other day biasing the opamps into Class A. The output was higher (and the volume, obvious), but the opamps were running really hot and the only "hear-able" difference was the volume.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,234 of 1,340

Quote:
Of course it survived.

So it did, LOL! The batteries may be better if the PS juice turns out is being "noisy", which switching PS tend to be. We will see as we go along.

Interesting, I was not aware of the class A mode being attainable with the new opamps. I may come back to ask how you did it once I finish the mods. It may be that some rigs show more of its potential than others, not that I would bet on it. Plus heat is always a bitch.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,235 of 1,340
What mods do you plan to do on the Musiland? Only the linear power supply and shielded power cable?

Edit: just tried the batteries. The soundstage isn't there... I hear the voice coming from the speakers. When I connect the other USB cable directly to the PC, I hear the singer in the middle which is completely different. Cable connected directly to PC on USB 3.0 stays for me.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,236 of 1,340
Well, while I get to order the new caps and the new opamps, this is the plan:
1. This weekend try the batteries and see what it gets me. The cans were borrowed by a friend but the speakers is what I use the most for evaluating changes. From your impressions, it does seem that I won't find much to like. What the heck, it is an easy thing to try anyway. I'll report by the end of Sunday.
2. Probably by Sunday evening, switch to a shielded cable. I am not betting that this will affect the Musiland itself but rather the rest of the gear. I already know that removing the Musiland improves the sound on SACDs by virtue of not having its power cable active (I am forced to route it rather too close to signal cables).

Since I have to open the Musiland for #2, I'll take stock of the final parts to order and compare it to the picture you and others have so kindly shared.  In addition, I will try to figure out what I would need to do for an external linear PS,  and later check notes here. 

In any event, I suspect that there is more to gained by fully isolating the USB hookup than by upgrading the existing board power supply. The problem "may" be that there are reports of incompatibilities when using some isolators. If costs keep piling up, at some point I may want to go for a better DAC and I have some Shiite in mind.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #1,237 of 1,340
Yes, I use netbook with two USB hard drive. The voltage is 4.69-4.78V.

Morello USB ($800) is top converter on the basis of Musiland. It shows that the implementation of USB-to-spdif in devices Musiland not the best. 

I don't plan to do something else. I save the money for another device (USB-to-I2S + DIY DAC may be)

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,242 of 1,340
I'm on WIN 7 and using the latest drivers for the Monitor 02 and Foobar v1.1.10 (the latest stable ver.). This works but on the Monitor Control Panel it shows the output as Wave and not ASIO. I have the Monitor 02 (speakers) device selected in the Components > Playback > Output in Foobar. I also have the ASIO component downloaded for Foobar but I'm not sure what I need to select in order to get bit perfect. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #1,243 of 1,340
I hope this is the same in the new version or can at least give you an idea. This is in Win7 pro. You have to create the ASIO connectoid (bottom screen pix) by using "Add". If I remember well, it picks the proper info up as long as the FB2k ASIO component in is the proper place and the Musiland is connected.

What appears on the first screen here will not be listed until the ASIO connectoid is ready (screens 2-3)

The last screen shows a SOX resampler. I use it at 192 but, depending on the computer, some tweaking may be required. Also, look for "memory play" optimizations...I do need to get over and read what's new about the new version of Foobar.

Click on them to enlarge.

A resampler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back