Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jan 3, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,216 of 1,340
Just an update: the latest drivers cleaned up a vast majority of the ticking and popping I was experiencing on high sample rate tracks (though not all of them). Another driver release as progressive as this one and I should soon be trouble free...

On another note... I was reading how certain members could distinguish a difference in SQ between different USB ports. I decided to give it a try.. I currently have my DAC connected to a USB 3.0 port. I also wanted to cross check to make sure that this wasn't the source of my random noise issues. Long story short, I only had the time to compare my two USB 3.0 ports to only one of my USB 2.0 ports (I have something like twelve or so on my comp...) but the sound difference was astounding. In comparison the USB 2.0 sounded dynamically flat, dull and lifeless. It lacked bottom end control, top end extension and wasn't even near as resolving. I certainly wasn't prepared for that dramatic of a difference. In addition my girlfriend noticed and articulated the differences to me immediately. No listening time required for her..  My questions is, has any other member experienced this?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #1,217 of 1,340
Just connected the 02 on a USB 3.0 port. The bottom end control is a tad better on certain tracks, but no dramatic / astounding difference, as you said.

Quote:
Does it worth to upgrade the Musiland 02 to a V-DAC II or rDac?

Did anyone compare the 02 with V-DAC II, rDac, DacMagic or anything else in that price range?

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,218 of 1,340
Hey so I just got my DAC and installed the latest drivers that a previous post had a link to.

I got a couple of questions that are probably pretty noobie.

1. How do I switch from WAVE to AISO and is it more desirable to have it in AISO? Does it have anything to do with the program? I'm using Foobar 2000.
2. Is MU-DSP equalization?

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,219 of 1,340

Quote:
Hey so I just got my DAC and installed the latest drivers that a previous post had a link to.

I got a couple of questions that are probably pretty noobie.

1. How do I switch from WAVE to AISO and is it more desirable to have it in AISO? Does it have anything to do with the program? I'm using Foobar 2000.
2. Is MU-DSP equalization?

Yes you need to set Foobar to asio playback in preferences but first you will need the asio plugin, you will find this on the foobar website, also you won't achieve equalisation from the Musiland control panel in asio playback mode.
Hope this helps, if you get stuck on anything just ask, lots of friendly people on here willing to help.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,220 of 1,340
Hey thanks that information helps a lot.

I also have another issue. My speakers have the Logitech Z-5500 (5.1). All the speakers hook up to the subwoofer and that hooks up to this little control device that adjusts volume and some other settings. This control device has a SPDIF port and I used to have it hooked up to my computer. It was fine hooked up to my computer but I want to run the speakers through the DAC if possible.

I hook up my SPDIF cable from the back of the DAC to the speaker control device and no matter what I can't get sound out of my speakers. I have Windows 7 so under Playback Devices there's 2 new items after installing the drivers. There's "Musliand Speakers" (if this is default it will play out of anything that hooks up to the front of the DAC depending on if I choose HP or LINE in the software) and there's "Musiland SPDIF Interface" which if I choose nothing happens. Like the blue bars don't even move. If I keep it at the first setting the analog and digital bars both move but I can't get sound at all.

If it's set to "Musiland Speakers" the WAVE light is yellow under Status. If it's set to "SPDIF Interface" then the PASS is yellow under Status. SPDIF is checked under digital nothing's muted. It could be just a little thing I completely overlooked but if anyone has any ideas, thanks!

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,221 of 1,340
Calling all computer experts.

I recently downloaded the latest 2.0 drivers for my Win 7 64bit system.

The drivers installed ok, however after reboot and everything when I use Foobar or iTunes I only hear sound from my speakers in my laptop.

Can anyone help?  I have looked and tried everywhere and have come up empty.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,222 of 1,340
Don't worry everyone!  I figured it out. 

I am glad to have rediscovered this thread....because my monitor 02 has been sitting dormant for about 1 year!

I am a happy camper!   :)

Just have to figure out the best settings!

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,223 of 1,340
simple little mod:

The digital part of Musiland 02US powered by 5v USB. OMG!!
I tried to put it on battery power. As a result, the sound stage opened, the high frequencies become more air.
Highly recommended.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,224 of 1,340
Matt, your read my mind! I've been planning to look into this for weeks but things keep getting in the way.*

Where did you tap on the board? Did you also unhook the power feed from the PC or are you only feeding the board's non-USB  portion? For the latter, I think I may need an isolator of some sort.

The other thing I have in mind is to add a linear PS separate from the box though I need to figure out the values.

In the meantime, I am going to change the power cord to a shielded one. This is more for the benefit of the other gear that "see" the Musiland's unshielded cord too close. Then again, who knows if it makes a [good] difference to the 02 itself.

* Plus, ironically, the battery holder I bought for the experiment with the Musiland wound up being used for diagnosing my E-mu 0404 USB which I only use for the microphone nowadays. Which reminds me that I have to go alert the 0404 USB gang on something.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #1,226 of 1,340
Oops! I should have enlarged the photo. It is clear that the intervention was to the USB -/+ power line. That is what I had in mind and it is encouraging to learn that it sounds better. Tks!

The next step would be to isolate (electrically decouple) the signal path also.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,227 of 1,340
Doesn't USB run 5v in it directly from the PC?

Edit: I changed the two MKP caps on the Musiland, put two Mundorfs instead. Sound got better in highs and a little in the mids. Was also considering to change the power supply with a toroidal transformer. I measured the pins on the stock transformer. On the output pins It has 2 x 26v on AC and 2 x 12v on DC (measured secondary pin with either of the remaining two).

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,228 of 1,340
F_F, wicked!  I am leaving these cap and chip mods for the end to better evaluate the simpler ones. So, your input is very timely. Can you provide an updated parts list of what is currently working? I have to fix a power amp and it would save some money to add all the parts in the same order.

In the meantime, this weekend I may try the battery thing and shortly after the shielded power cable. BTW, Radio Shack has switch AA battery holders...

Yes, the USB is 5v. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for pinout reference. Four AA rechargable batteries should do the trick even though they are less than the nominal 1.5v. Regular ones are 1.5v.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,229 of 1,340
List of mods done so far:
2 x 1200uf / 6.3v Panasonic FM for power filtering
5 x 470uf / 16v Panasonic FM
1 x 47uf / 16v Blackgate STD
2 x 4.7uf / 50v Blackgate STD
4 x 10uf / 25v Elna Silmic II
1 x 1uf / 400v Mundorf MCap
1 x 0.1uf / 630v Mundorf MCap
2 x LME49990 opamps on BrownDog's dual-mono to stereo adapter

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,230 of 1,340
Yes, I have modified the USB cable. I measured the voltage on the USB input and it was unstable, as the clock generator. The digital part operates at 3.3V with an input voltage from 4 to 6V, the input is a stabilizer.

I cut the red wire (power from the computer) and connect the "plus" test battery 4x1.5V = 6.4V   :)
I did't touch the black wire, I connected to it "minus" battery. Costs $2.

after 8 hours the voltage was 4.95V.

It is necessary to alter the design for rechargeable batteries.
For example, 2x3.2V LiFePo4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back