Musiland Monitor 02 US
Oct 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,141 of 1,340
@Fab_flix

I won't be able to open the 02 until Monday, I left the Allen wrench at the office but the value should be the same as your caps.

For the opamp, if you wanted to use the LME49990 you could order a Browndog adapter, they are dirt cheap.
The only advantage of the 48960 over the 49720 is the 22V capablity but inside the 02 there is only 15V so really no point.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,143 of 1,340
@JavierS: I'm asking about those capacitor values because I have two 4.7 uF / 100v caps. If u stay that only 15v pass through the Musiland, is it ok to change those caps with 50v ones?
@matt_u9: Did you feel any difference after replacing the op-amp?

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,144 of 1,340
I was not able to compare before and after, op-amp changed long ago. I'll be honest - the effect was not WOW. It was analog, relaxing sound.

Strengths: bass, neutral tonal balance, musicality, price.
Weaknesses: sound lacks scale, a small scene depth, attack sound smoothed out, there are no drivers Linux (do not wait, probably).

I listened Musiland in different systems, this system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa2N9Ej7WnM
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzqFOIYSPKg
He showed himself well.

I compared musiland with Olive 4HD and Linn Akurate. Olive (PCM 1794) is almost the same in sound, but Linn is space!

Yes, I would like to change it for anything.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,148 of 1,340
I have the Monitor 01 US and so far it seems like pretty outstanding value. The new drivers (including the HDCD capability) sound a bit more analog (almost tube-like) sounding and with higher and better defined bass (in fact think I may need to lower with preamp and  Foobar graphic equalizer bass. The recent control panel look and feel is pretty nice although I wish they had the black-white background as an option as well as having some smaller minimized mode. Will need to spend more time to reaffirm the sound but am wondering what others think. Also, what is the take on the asynch interface and whether it keeps low jitter?

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #1,149 of 1,340
Changed the crappy capacitors with Blackgates, Elna Silmic IIs and Panasonic FMs. The difference isn't enormous, but the highs are crispier and the mids gained a bit of warmth. I still have to change the op-amp.
Forgot to mention the bass. It has more power than before and it's more percursive. Warmer mids and tighter bass suit me a lot!
P.S.: My soldering skill isn't the best one you have seen.
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,152 of 1,340
Different size, downloading is very slow. I installed it, it works fine.

There is information about "old" 1019 driver from the musiland forum (google translate).

"By the way my device is: Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks + Musiland Monitor01US Swans M50W2.1 speaker + external sound card, operating system WindowsXP-SP3 Chinese.
Before comparing the use of more than two months of 0727, hear a sense of the following:

1, high-frequency improved significantly, instrumental sound like a lot brighter, more penetrating voice.
2, the frequency resolution enhancement, the details are highlighted.
3, low succulent, not a kind of hypertrophy before, the feeling of delay, became sonorous, powerful force of a thunderbolt."

"New driver features is obvious, personally prefer 2.1 version of the style, feel the sound more clear."

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,154 of 1,340
Agree on the new drivers. Had a real hard time downloading them all day and then late in the day the download just happened fast (not sure what the issue). The drivers provide improvement to the low frequencies, feel more weight and turned off the equalizer. The mids sound smoother and analogue-like. I am still hearing a bit of high level grit which I can;t put my ear on. Only shows in certain recordings but will keep trying to better get a feel for it. I do like the drivers, the control panel and its layout, and they are solid stable and play well in DS, ASIO, and KS (on a Win3.1 Dual Core PC) modes. I wish they would indicate what changes from build to build. Anyway, pretty happy and have been cleaning up all my playlists on Foobar and also setting up HDCD and other High Res Files in new lists.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #1,155 of 1,340
Hi guys!
What would you choose between Musilan Monitor 03 US and HRT Music Streamer II?
I can't decide which one to buy.
If you know another competitive DAC in this budget, please feel free to announce me.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back