Musiland Monitor 02 US
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #991 of 1,340
Enjoy it. It's the most high end budget DAC I've ever encountered.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #992 of 1,340
fenixdown110 what driver version are you currently using?

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #993 of 1,340
v1.0.9.0

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #994 of 1,340
Dec 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #996 of 1,340
Im looking into getting one of these to replace my Xonar DX. I am currently using BX5a studio monitors (unbalanced connection) and M50 headphones. Will I notice a significant improvement if I upgrade? Will the DAC allow me to easily switch over from the monitors to my headphones?

Im looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-HiFi-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-Musiland-Monitor02-US-/280609073363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41559aa8d3

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #997 of 1,340
1. I've heard the MM02 provides better results than the Xonar DX, especially for music listening.
2. Yes you can easily switch between the two assuming you have windows 7. I do it all the time. Right click the volume bottom on the system tray and go to playback devices. You can then switch between any audio device you have. Windows 7 also lets you have seperate audio devices for different programs. This only applies if your monitors are hooked up to your xonar dx and your headphones are hooked up to your MM02.

If you are planning to hook up both your headphones and monitors to the MM02 you probably want to get a 1/4inch to RCA converter and hook up the monitors to the RCA on the front panel of the MM02...These jacks bypass the internal amp. Considering your monitors have built in power amps, this is the best choice.

The answer to your second question is the same here, It is very easy to switch between the two. MM02 drivers will install an app that sits in your system tray. Open it an there are two buttons for LINE and HEADPHONE. Line = monitors, Headphone = obvious.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #998 of 1,340
I've been using this pretty good DAC for months and I am quite satisfied with it. But I am wondering if I could do any improvement. Replace the opamp, make an external power supply or anything. And I have a little fear about the harsh 'click' during windows login. It may cause some damage to my speakers. Can I do anything for it?

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #999 of 1,340
I've been using this pretty good DAC for months and I am quite satisfied with it. But I am wondering if I could do any improvement. Replace the opamp, make an external power supply or anything. And I have a little fear about the harsh 'click' during windows login. It may cause some damage to my speakers. Can I do anything for it?

as in the relay that switches hp/line to the saved position? or a pop in the speakers?

>Replace the opamp, make an external power supply or anything

you could try, but it's all surface mount and multilayer board... probably not an easy job/can damage things by overheating them, incl the new opamp. also, the new one might not play nice with the circuit.

For the HP amp, it'd just change the sound sig max, if you want more power, get an ext amp.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,001 of 1,340

macrog said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes USB 24bit 192khz it is exceptional

Yes USB 24bit 192khz it is exceptional

The Musiland monitor 02us is the best bargain I have ever purchased in Audio. Even if you only ever used it to convert usb to coaxial or optical or bnc it is amazing. It sounds significantly better from a usb source than my cambridge dacmagic which cost 4 times the amount.

The new driver is a significant upgrade.

It is exactly what I need, Nice writing, Thanks for your sharing!

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #1,002 of 1,340
I'm trying to get to best sound from my office computer, where space is limited. I have Sennheiser HD595 headphones, and Audioengine A2 computer speakers, which are great for their size. I just won a bid for the Musiland Monitor 02 DAC on ebay, and I have a few questions as I work my way through this thread.

Will I be getting the benefit of 24bit, 96-192 kHz FLAC with the above equipment, or do I need something more/different? Will I get full resolution from the headphone jacks? For now, space is at a premium around my desk, so I'm trying to work with as few components as possible. This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to this: am I losing any quality playing 24/192 FLAC through RCA cables compared to coax out? I have a little money to play with, but not much more than $500 toward upgrading my setup.

For now I need RCA cables to connect the MM02 to my Audioengines. How about the 3ft premium cable from monoprice? Would more expensive cables improve the analog sound?

I saw something about a firmware key needed to upgrade. How do i get the firmware key for v1.0.9.0?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,003 of 1,340
My Musiland Monitor 02 US was purchased in December 2010.  It quit working after two weeks.  The unit is no longer recognized by the Windows.  I tried it on several different computers, Windows XP 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit and different versions of the drivers without any success.

I tried to contact coolfungadget to get it replaced (1st choice) or refunded but so far it has been unsuccessful.  It was purchased from Tam's Audio online store, not the eBay store.  I saw coolfungadget ID was banned from this site.  Is he still around?

I really liked the unit while it worked but was very disappointed with the short lifespan.

Has anyone had the same problem or with a dead unit?  Did you get it from coolfungadget?  Were you able to get it replaced?

Thanks,

Nelson

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #1,005 of 1,340
I am. Please send it back for a refund.

Quote:
My Musiland Monitor 02 US was purchased in December 2010.  It quit working after two weeks.  The unit is no longer recognized by the Windows.  I tried it on several different computers, Windows XP 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit and different versions of the drivers without any success.

I tried to contact coolfungadget to get it replaced (1st choice) or refunded but so far it has been unsuccessful.  It was purchased from Tam's Audio online store, not the eBay store.  I saw coolfungadget ID was banned from this site.  Is he still around?

I really liked the unit while it worked but was very disappointed with the short lifespan.

Has anyone had the same problem or with a dead unit?  Did you get it from coolfungadget?  Were you able to get it replaced?

Thanks,

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back