Musiland Monitor 02 US
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #826 of 1,340
I'de max out all software volumes and attenuate in the analog on your amp.

When you change the volume in the software you are no longer bit perfect.

I don't understand how the software/program and processor re-calculate what the new samples should be at a lower volume, so I max them all out to leave it in it's original state as much as is possible.

It probably wouldn't make the music any less enjoyable, just not necessary if you have a volume knob on your amp.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #827 of 1,340
Yes it matters, 3 db digital attenuation = 1 bit less resolution

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #828 of 1,340
Ok, but which slider causes loss in bit resolution?
All of them? In MM CP there are some sliders. Is each one a software volume control?

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #829 of 1,340

In theory using a digital volume control can decrease resolution (bit depth).  This was before 32 bit processing and what not but I know the old days the digital volume control was a big no-no because ever -6dB was a bit of reolution lost,  so if you lowered the volume 18 db you were listening to 13/44.1 digital instead of 16/44.1.

Quote:
Hmm, I'd think that any signal attenuation through foobar and ASIO will not degrade the signal because it's digital. Not too sure if it's right.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #830 of 1,340
Any volume changing you do from your OS with this card is digital. If you're using 24 bit you don't have to worry about "loss in resolution" unless the card is crap. In fact, even 16bit is typically fine with digital volume control, most of the music is at -20 to 0db, very little at -40db, and generally nothing below that.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #831 of 1,340
Quote:
In theory using a digital volume control can decrease resolution (bit depth).  This was before 32 bit processing and what not but I know the old days the digital volume control was a big no-no because ever -6dB was a bit of reolution lost,  so if you lowered the volume 18 db you were listening to 13/44.1 digital instead of 16/44.1.

Thanks for the clarification. I mixed this up with digital EQ vs. analog EQ in some other thread. Oh wait, does EQ'ing specific frequencies also reduce the bit depth too?

Quote:
Dalamar said:

Any volume changing you do from your OS with this card is digital. If you're using 24 bit you don't have to worry about "loss in resolution" unless the card is crap. In fact, even 16bit is typically fine with digital volume control, most of the music is at -20 to 0db, very little at -40db, and generally nothing below that.

So the "Analog" and "Digital" sliders in the MM2 control panel are actually digital volume controls too? Since they are volume sliders that we control through the OS...

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #832 of 1,340

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I mixed this up with digital EQ vs. analog EQ in some other thread. Oh wait, does EQ'ing specific frequencies also reduce the bit depth too?

So the "Analog" and "Digital" sliders in the MM2 control panel are actually digital volume controls too? Since they are volume sliders that we control through the OS...

I don't know how the MM works, but it's probably digital. Analog is typically done with a gain switch, resistor, etc. If anything like that were present, you'd hear a click when using the function.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #833 of 1,340
Just got mine yesterday and the sound is great until I try to do something on my pc.... Every time I move the mouse around I get "clicking" sounds while playing music or video. Funny thing is, my games are playing without the annoying clicking at all (tried it out on TF2 and MW2). Tried the ASIO through foobar... less clicking than winamp but it's still there when I try to do something besides sit there and listen.

Running a q6600 and 4 gigs of ram and running headphones right out of the built in amp in the MM02. Have tried drivers 1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.0.9, and currently running 1,0,10. Please help!!

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #834 of 1,340

Quote:
Just got mine yesterday and the sound is great until I try to do something on my pc.... Every time I move the mouse around I get "clicking" sounds while playing music or video. Funny thing is, my games are playing without the annoying clicking at all (tried it out on TF2 and MW2). Tried the ASIO through foobar... less clicking than winamp but it's still there when I try to do something besides sit there and listen.

Running a q6600 and 4 gigs of ram and running headphones right out of the built in amp in the MM02. Have tried drivers 1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.0.9, and currently running 1,0,10. Please help!!

Try plugging it into a different usb socket or get a standalone usb controller. I found on my last pc build, that my onboard usb controller was getting interference.

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #835 of 1,340
Aug 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #836 of 1,340
Aug 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #837 of 1,340
Quote:
Try plugging it into a different usb socket or get a standalone usb controller. I found on my last pc build, that my onboard usb controller was getting interference.

Installed the new USB controller....Still getting a damn clicking sound when I do anything besides listen to the sound coming into my headphones....

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #838 of 1,340

Quote:
Quote:

Installed the new USB controller....Still getting a damn clicking sound when I do anything besides listen to the sound coming into my headphones....

This is during WDM usage I'm guessing? I get something similar, but it's a crackling.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #839 of 1,340
Ok. I have the exact same problem now after uninstalling and reinstalling foobar to test a theory. It's frustrating yes. Roll the driver back to an earlier version. The newest 1.0.10.0 driver should be avoided at all costs. I'm back on the old 1.0.9.0 and the crackling went away. It may be different for you. Try out a few older drivers until you find the right one that works for you.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #840 of 1,340
Which resolution should I choose in MM Control Panel? Despite I choose 44.1K I can play 192K music as well. I am confused now
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back