Musiland Monitor 02 US
Apr 24, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #571 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, i use the 64 bit vista, and i just got done readin old posts on this thread from a year ago and their were many horror stories of drivers uncompatable and having to emal in for the update ot recieving emai and driver not working even in regvular 32 bit.....
im 64 bit vista am i better off going for the udac....

anyone side by side this with udac?

thanks

It's fixed. The newest drivers/firmware is out.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #572 of 1,340
The 02US has never given me any troubles with drivers. It's smooth, responsive, stable and glitch-free. I use Win 7 x64 Ultimate and the latest firmware with the 02.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #573 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by okthxbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of maybe getting this for my desktop setup, connecting it to my laptop.

As this is only the DAC, what would be a good amp to pair with this and Alessandro MS-1i's (possibly Denon D2000's in the future)? Preferably with optical input as I would like to play 24bit lossless files?

Price around $200

And, how about that setup. I was thinking of maybe buying an iBasso D4 / D10, but since I don't play to use that as portable, will this be a better idea? Buying a DAC like the Monitor 02 US and an desktop amp?

Anyone? The Musiland seems very interesting, very good support and firmware/driver updates too.

I read in this thread about the guy who sold his 02 US because he tried it with D2000's (volume was already very loud at 1%). Could anyone confirm this?

How will it be with Alessandro MS-1i's then? Those are very easy to drive too, won't they give the same problem?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #574 of 1,340
With my Ultrasone PL 750 the volume is very loud at 1%. (I can't listen to music over 15%, unless I'm drunk)
However this is good for movies that are downmixed with normalised matrix, and for music I ajust the volume with the software if I want to. (But 1% is perfect actually)

PL 750 is 40 Ohms.

EDIT: However, this Monitor 02 US is an incredible DAC even for "easy to drive" phones. I had before an Audigy 4, and compare to Monitor 2 US with my PL750, Audigy 4 sounds like crap! I have more differences between Monitor 2 US and Audigy 4 than between Audigy 4 and Onboard Chip...
Espcially for the bass thing, I rediscovered my songs with the Monitor 2 US

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #575 of 1,340
This dac just amazes me. The transparency and clarity is stunning. Running it on the latest 1.0.8.4 driver with no issues at all. No crackling like the one that came on the CD.

I do have a question though. How do you lock the sample rate while in precision mode to avoid the 2-3 second delay to create an exact clock frequency?

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #576 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPC_Skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my Ultrasone PL 750 the volume is very loud at 1%. (I can't listen to music over 15%, unless I'm drunk)
However this is good for movies that are downmixed with normalised matrix, and for music I ajust the volume with the software if I want to. (But 1% is perfect actually)

PL 750 is 40 Ohms.

EDIT: However, this Monitor 02 US is an incredible DAC even for "easy to drive" phones. I had before an Audigy 4, and compare to Monitor 2 US with my PL750, Audigy 4 sounds like crap! I have more differences between Monitor 2 US and Audigy 4 than between Audigy 4 and Onboard Chip...
Espcially for the bass thing, I rediscovered my songs with the Monitor 2 US

Thanks! I don't think I can live with having to set my volume to 1% max all the time. I sometimes like to lower the volume a bit, but with easy to drive headphones that just doesn't seem possible?
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #577 of 1,340
Hey, I got this today but I'm having a problem...

The headphone jacks wont work. When the PC boots up the headphone light is on, but when Windows opens the light switches to the RCA outputs, nothing seems to get it back to the headphones, tried many headphones in both jacks and tried on two PCs...

Any suggestions before I contact seller to return?
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #578 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by MintMouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I got this today but I'm having a problem...

The headphone jacks wont work. When the PC boots up the headphone light is on, but when Windows opens the light switches to the RCA outputs, nothing seems to get it back to the headphones, tried many headphones in both jacks and tried on two PCs...

Any suggestions before I contact seller to return?
frown.gif

Did you install the driver? When you have the driver menu open, you select between headphone and RCA outputs from there. It's listed as "LINE" and "HP". The red lights on the box will change places when you do so. Get the newest 1.0.8.4 driver from here.
Index of /musiland

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #579 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you install the driver? When you have the driver menu open, you select between headphone and RCA outputs from there. It's listed as "LINE" and "HP". The red lights on the box will change places when you do so. Get the newest 1.0.8.4 driver from here.
Index of /musiland

lol. I can't believe I missed that. I thought I had scoured the software head-to-toe.

Alrighty, cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #580 of 1,340
Quote:

Thanks! I don't think I can live with having to set my volume to 1% max all the time. I sometimes like to lower the volume a bit, but with easy to drive headphones that just doesn't seem possible?
frown.gif

Like I said, when you are under Foobar2000 you can easily lower the volume with the software itself, and in ASIO mode I don't think this reduces the quality at all. (Maybe you are at 0,01%, but who cares?)

So this is not really an issue. This is surprising at the beginning, but if you set all your software it won't be a problem at all.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #582 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPC_Skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, when you are under Foobar2000 you can easily lower the volume with the software itself, and in ASIO mode I don't think this reduces the quality at all. (Maybe you are at 0,01%, but who cares?)

So this is not really an issue. This is surprising at the beginning, but if you set all your software it won't be a problem at all.

Wait, what? Could you elaborate this? What volume is then set to 1% ? Not the Foobar volume? So it should work fine with the MS-1i's and/or Denon D2K's? Why did that French guy sell his 02 US then?

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #583 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
humm, if I leave ASIO at 100%...I can't quite get past 1% master volume on whatever jack output, I know my cd1k is very sensitive at 104dB but the d2k is even worse...I will try to set ASIO at 40% to get more master volume headroom.

Quote:

it honestly sounds really good! but my cd1k is WAY too sensitive...1% master volume is already too loud.

so I've put it up for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...7/#post6407373

Quote:

well, the 25Ω/106dB d2k is even more sensitive than my cd1k...so it'd be a big nono too. OTOH, the Beyer DT770 is 96dB, so you can bring the pain.

This I meant
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and, can the high/low impedance headphone outputs also provide a solution for this problem? Like, if you connect low impedance headphones like the MS-1i/D2000 to the low impedance output, the master volume can be turned up further than 1%?

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #584 of 1,340
Quote:

This I meant
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and, can the high/low impedance headphone outputs also provide a solution for this problem? Like, if you connect low impedance headphones like the MS-1i/D2000 to the low impedance output, the master volume can be turned up further than 1%?

Which jack is for low impedance headphones? and will it make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back