Musiland Monitor 02 US
Nov 16, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #931 of 1,340
Continue using drivers 1.0.9.  1.0.10 and 1.0.11 (this just came out today, check coolfungadget) aren't working correctly. 

look on the bright side - at least it doesn't freeze/crash windows or look like it bricks your device http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500181/musiland-md11-to-be-released/15#post_7058198

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #934 of 1,340
What he said. 

Quote:
>I wonder if there's enough bandwidth to warrant usb 3.0?

Pretty sure I saw the following while looking for a new dac: even for multichannel 192k/24b audio there's no need for higher than USB 2.0 bandwidth of 480 Mbps. That was accompanied by bitrate calc figures which I obviously don't remember

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #935 of 1,340
Ok. Good to know.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #936 of 1,340
Hi guys sorry if this sounds incredibly noob but I wish to use my Musiland 02 primarily as a DAC as I have just recently purchased an amp. The AMP has 2 RCA inputs so no worries, but what cable in specific do I use for outputting the DAC (only) to the AMP? Do I get cables for the 2 front holes or the RCA hole at the back of the musiland device?

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #938 of 1,340
So the RCA output on the Musiland is just the hole at the back labelled RCA? Which means I would need a Y-cable format (1 plug goes into the RCA hole at the back of the musiland, 2 RCA inputs go into the back of my amp), am I getting that right?

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #939 of 1,340
The RCA's are on the front. White and red. And I think you mean your amp has two outputs.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #940 of 1,340

Quote:
So the RCA output on the Musiland is just the hole at the back labelled RCA? Which means I would need a Y-cable format (1 plug goes into the RCA hole at the back of the musiland, 2 RCA inputs go into the back of my amp), am I getting that right?

That ONE is a DIGITAL spdif. You can use the optical hookup next to it or the RCA connector version, which you are referring to. Your amp or receiver may have these types of input. Either of these 2 can carry the digital signal for all channels. The RCA type is reputed to be better under most conditions. (Plus, some optical connections cannot carry 24/192, the max offered by this device.)

This particular RCA cable should typically be a 75ohm type sold for the purpose. Other audio cables may work, at the expense of quality. Also, keep it as short as you can for best quality.

Have fun!

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #942 of 1,340
What I mentioned earlier is located on one side of the box. Let's call it the "digital" side. That RCA single connector is also called a coaxial s/pdif and sold as such*. The other one is optical. These will output a digital signal up to 24/192 that will require decoding at the other end. This side is also where the USB and power connectors are located.

On the OTHER (or "analog outputs") side of the box there are:

- 2 sets of mini sockets for headphones, high & low impedance respectively. You may need to use a converter cable for the larger stereo headphone plugs.
- one set of stereo analog outputs (left/right RCAs). You can use regular (but good quality) RCA audio cables with these.

The outputs on the analog side will reflect the quality of the already decoded digital signal. You can send the 2 RCAs directly to a power amp or receiver. (BTW, a direct hook-up to a power amp is amazingly revealing. Volume needs to be controlled via the Musiland's PC interface; start at 20 or so, to protect speakers).

NOWHERE are "Y" connectors required.

*There is a better connector type called BNC coaxial s/pdif, but Musiland chose the RCA type because it is more common. Both versions of this coaxial are 75ohm. Same type of cable but two different terminations. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #944 of 1,340
Nov 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #945 of 1,340
I guess it's time to try out the newest one. Again. Hopefully it doesn't glitch out like the previous 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back