Musiland Monitor 01 US v. Musiland Monitor 02 USD
May 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EndersShadow

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]I am looking at purchasing either a Musiland Monitor 01 US or a Musiland Monitor 02 USD.  I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has owned both.  I believe the only difference is that the 02 is no longer powered by USB but has a dedicated external powersupply.  I was wondering how much of a difference that made?  Are there any other major differences I should know of?  I am able to get the Monitor 01 US for ~50 v. the going rate for the Monitor 02.[/size]

[size=medium]To let you know what other options I have looked at, I have researched the HRT Media Streamer, Yulong U100, and the Audinst DAC.[/size]

[size=medium]I need to have a headphone jack and volume control as well as Asynchronus USB to RCA output.  I don’t use headphones right now but want that option.[/size]

[size=medium]I like the Musiland since you have volume control from your computers keyboard since my computer and AVR are ~6 feet away from the keyboard and monitor and it would be a PITA to constantly have to manually adjust the DAC. [/size]

[size=medium]This will be going between my computer and the Harman Kardon 3490 reciever I currently have.  Eventually I would like to do away w/ the 3490 and go with a dedicated 2 channel amp (want to be able to drive low impedance speakers like Magneplanar) hence needing volume control of some sort.[/size]

May 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I've (briefly) owned both:
-01USD, horrid drivers and crappy clock synthesis
-02US, too pricey for what it does..everything's a failure in this thing(OP275 opamps, unshielded cheapo SMPS, crappy clock synthesis, etc)

May 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 7
you can look up my profile
wink.gif

May 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I've (briefly) owned both:
-01USD, horrid drivers and crappy clock synthesis
-02US, too pricey for what it does..everything's a failure in this thing(OP275 opamps, unshielded cheapo SMPS, crappy clock synthesis, etc)

So you wholeheartedly do not recommend both?

I honestly thought about pulling the trigger on one to compliment my monitors.

Now I honestly don't know if there is a better alternative for around the same price.

May 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Shouldn't the Musiland 02 be a decent USB device that handles 24/192?

AND it does digital output so you can output it to your DAC.

I was thinking of the Musiland 02 and digital out to my Maverick D1, since the USB on the D1 isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back