Musicbee, best music manager/player?
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 54
As someone who doesn't have the time to tinker with Foobar to get it to my liking, MusicBee has become my new favorite player over iTunes. It does everything I could possibly want iTunes to do. There isn't anything I need my media player to do that MusicBee can't.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:
As someone who doesn't have the time to tinker with Foobar to get it to my liking, MusicBee has become my new favorite player over iTunes. It does everything I could possibly want iTunes to do. There isn't anything I need my media player to do that MusicBee can't.

This

Unless you give MusicBee a try you don't know what you are missing  
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #33 of 54
How does it compare to J River Media Center? I just built a new PC and I'm trying to decide on a music manager since I'm ripping all of my CDs to FLAC.I know one is free (MB) and the other is not but what are the other major differences to go with MB? I don't mind paying if the software is worth it. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #34 of 54

Quote:
How does it compare to J River Media Center? I just built a new PC and I'm trying to decide on a music manager since I'm ripping all of my CDs to FLAC.I know one is free (MB) and the other is not but what are the other major differences to go with MB? I don't mind paying if the software is worth it. 

Both will sound exactly the same, it's just a matter of which one you prefer to use. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #35 of 54
I'm always surprised at the love foobar gets. It's a great player if all you need is the basics and you enjoy tinkering, but it doesn't support quite a few things, and the amount of tinkering to get it functional is insane. I hated having to search down random .dlls to support even the most simple things, even worse when you find they're not supported, and even then, doing a lot of basic things took me way too long (tagging, library updating, syncing with my clip, etc). People talk about its customisation qualities, but to me it was more a case of it being so bare-bones you had to add a lot of basic functionality to it afterwards, and even then it'll never have the aesthetic or usability cohesiveness of bigger players.

Sorry for the bump but I really want to praise musicbee. I've been frustrated by music players since I began using computers, and musicbee is better than anything I could have asked for. They've just added theater mode too which does a pretty good job of emulating those sexy foobar configs you always see online (but which I never managed to get working myself!) 

Just for reference, here's my own config. I always see pics of musicbee showing all the columns and they make it look very messy, but it's very configurable itself. Mine is just a minimalist album art browser that I navigate with tabs. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #36 of 54
Hi,

I just tried Musicbee Version 2.0.4551. I don't get ASIO working on my Asus Xonar D2X. Foorbar works with ASIO, but do randomly make a blue screen on my Windows 7 64-bit system. WASAPI seems to work on both players. So war all my ALAC and FLAC Files plays, but Musicbee is not able to decode HDCD. Or did i missed something? This is a great advantage for foobar. The apperiance just after install is much better with musicbee. It seems that the interface want to look like iTunes. Foobar is much looking easier, but do everything right.  At this moment i don't thing musikbee is the better player. To little plugins, that make foobar great. I thing about the convolver plugin, that helps me to normalise old CDs with preemphasis. I don't see it in Musicbee. About HDSC i wrote already and the DVD-Audio plugin for foobar is also great. But I must say, Steven Mayall does great programming and if he does it better, in some time it will be a great alternative to foobar.

Manfred

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #39 of 54
Musicbee is good, but I've had problems with gapless playback over ASIO and WASAPI. For library management it's great, but for playback, foobar still is the best, at least for my setup.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #42 of 54
I've ditched MediaMonkey for MusicBee ... I love it.

It seems to have all the same functions that MediaMonkey has but with a nicer, simpler, easier-to-use interface.

I've not had any issues with gapless while using WASAPI on Windows 7 64-bit

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #44 of 54
I don't personally use Musicbee but I've installed it for other people several times. I always recommend it to people who find it easier to find/play music from a single interface. It's got some decent sound profiles if you have crap desktop speakers and wouldn't bother with an equalizer. It's more attractive than mediamonkey but in my experience it is less geared towards very large libraries than mediamonkey.

Also check out Aimp2 http://www.aimp2.us/ which is in my opinion kind of a mix between foobar and musicbee, aesthetically speaking.
If you prefer open source and cross platform Clementine is pretty nice. http://www.clementine-player.org/ It's an offshoot of Amarok created by people who didn't like the change in direction they were seeing starting a few years ago.

I don't get it when people say foobar is featureless and takes a lot of tweaking. Foobar is by far the most feature packed player out there. Supports far more codecs than any other player. Anything that more than 5% of people will use is already included, if possible. Certain things have to be downloaded seperately, from their site tho, for legal reasons.

Of course, plug-ins for services from third parties need to be installed. But that should be seen as a plus since these are often the heaviest of features, which often slow down players and lead to instability in the software.

I will say tho that if you really want a solid browse-friendly media library integrated in to your player, or a ten-foot user interface, I wouldn't recommend foobar. Those features are completely outside the realm of fb2k's design goal. Not that you couldn't add them. Foobar is designed to be a program that doesn't rely on other programs.

To put it how they used to, or have before, foobar is an audio player before it is a music player and it is designed for managers rather than browsers (audio manager vs music library). What is meant by that is that out of the box it won't manipulate your files by adding tags without your permission and it won't download artist information and random artwork only to slow down your system and mess up your library. It doesn't presume you have a computer full of music any more than it presumes you have a computer full of podcasts or audiobooks, or an ftp server on another device. As the name "foobar" suggests, foobar2000 is not a certain thing and it doesn't do any certain thing, it's a placeholder until the end user decides what they want to do with it. And it's certainly not a web browser like most modern programs.

The other thing that throws me off is the interface customization complaints. It takes me maybe 3 minutes to completely set foobar exactly how I like it or how someone requests it. Everything revolves around simplicity and common sense with foobar. No going in to settings 20 times to tweak the interface only to find out a setting is under some name that a single person thought made sense. Foobar is basically unlock, drag, drop, lock. Beyond that it is pretty much stretch and right click/tick untick to resize or add/move/remove any individual part.

Foobar doesn't require a mouse or a keyboard. Though you will need at least one...in most circumstances.

FYI, check out Boom for a straight music player in a foobar package. Made by the same guy that makes foobar. It plays music exclusively, or in other words it's the software equivalent of a boombox for those people that still stick a CD in their computer when they want to listen to music.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #45 of 54
I'm giving it a whirl with ASIO and gotta say I like it. No hi res files but sounds pretty good 44/16. I may be able to get rid of some players now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back