Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #826 of 964
I'm on the same path. Won't get rid of my MP because I so enjoy the sound and tube rolling experiences but wondering what else is out there. The Audio GD is enticing but among the first things that comes up when searching for information is a post from Audio Science Review which is excoriating:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...review-and-measurements-of-audio-gd-r8.10149/

I'm just not sure how to reconcile the two camps here....
Its a objective site, and i respect Armin's reviews but there's no right or wrong here, if something sounds great to me and measured poorly, i wont lose sleep over it. At the end, its a hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #827 of 964
Hey Sean. I'd have to say once you get used to a tubed dac, its pretty hard to go back and listen to a SS dac. I had the Topping D90 and compared it side by side along with the MP deluxe, and flogged off the D90. The D90 by all accounts is a great dac but just didnt float my boat like the MP does, especially with live recordings.
Hi
Definitely
I recently brought some Siemens 6922 1960 nos wow they are really good, prefer them to my Phillips SQ E80CC
I given up with trying new DACs and brought a Willsenton R8 instead 😄

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #828 of 964
I'm going to pull the trigger on an Audio GD R7HE Mk2 in the new year and see how it stacks up. Fortunately the rubidium atomic clock I use on my musical paradise has a 10Mhz output, so I can keep the clock :)

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #829 of 964
I recently purchased a second hand MP MKIII and have a query regarding DSD. I use Roon and have changed the setting in Roon to DSD over PCM v1.0. The DSD and USB lights are now on when I turn the Dac on but the DSD light goes off as soon as music starts. Is this normal and DSD is implemented still or is the Dac not upsampling? I am clearly a newbie with DSD etc so any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #831 of 964
Has anyone got the AKM AK4497 boards sitting around unused that they wanted to sell me? Curious to see how they compare to the sabre boards.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #832 of 964
I need to ask this question one last time because everyone over on Audio Asylum says this cannot be correct. But as I understand what others have told me here when switching from using four 6DJ8/7308/6922/6N23 etc. to four 6SN7 tubes, you simply install the four adapters into the 6DJ8 sockets, then install the 6SN7 tubes on top of the adapters and that's it, correct? Or are there additional changes that need to be made in resistors, caps, etc., as well? Would someone who's actually made the change from 6DJ8 to 6SN7 tubes PLEASE answer this question? Plus how long have you been using this change with no problems?

Thanks,

Thetubeguy1954

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #833 of 964
I need to ask this question one last time because everyone over on Audio Asylum says this cannot be correct. But as I understand what others have told me here when switching from using four 6DJ8/7308/6922/6N23 etc. to four 6SN7 tubes, you simply install the four adapters into the 6DJ8 sockets, then install the 6SN7 tubes on top of the adapters and that's it, correct? Or are there additional changes that need to be made in resistors, caps, etc., as well? Would someone who's actually made the change from 6DJ8 to 6SN7 tubes PLEASE answer this question? Plus how long have you been using this change with no problems?

Thanks,

Thetubeguy1954
If you are running SE you just need to use sockets 1 and 3 and make sure you have a 6 volt tube in 2 and 4. If you are using balanced then all four should have the adapters and same tubes. I recently did this using Linlai elite 6sn7's and love those tubes. I run SE. Be advised.....you cannot run 4 Elites side by side without using tube extenders in every other one. And, BTW, I cleared this with Garry before I did it. And Don Sachs checked out the circuit and confirmed it was good to go. He had been running 6sn7's for a month before he told me about it.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #834 of 964

Thanks,

Thetubeguy1954
If you are running SE you just need to use sockets 1 and 3 and make sure you have a 6 volt tube in 2 and 4. If you are using balanced then all four should have the adapters and same tubes. I recently did this using Linlai elite 6sn7's and love those tubes. I run SE. Be advised.....you cannot run 4 Elites side by side without using tube extenders in every other one. And, BTW, I cleared this with Garry before I did it. And Don Sachs checked out the circuit and confirmed it was good to go. He had been running 6sn7's for a month before he told me about it.
Best of luck.

Best of luck.

Attachments

• 20211114_105136.jpg
    20211114_105136.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #835 of 964
Best of luck.

GKR, Thanks so much for your wonderful reply. This is exactly what I', going to do!!!!

Sincerely, Thetubeguy1954

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #836 of 964
I've finally decided to buy another dac. I'll be buying the Lampizator 300B DHT dac from best300B.

I was able to arrange a WhatsApps call with Lukasz Fikus, the Lampizator founder, and this dac is a big 7 in a smaller less premium case and the dht tube heater is fixed for 300B tubes. Best300b is a Lampizator company.

Very excited to be trying a dht dac with R2R ladder converter!

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #837 of 964
Best of luck.
GRK, so just that I'm perfectly clear --all you did was install four adapters and four 6SN7 tubes without changing any caps, resistors and/or inductors? The reason I'm asking again is I'm being told this isn't possible! Also if all you did was install the four adapters and four 6SN7 tubes, how long has your MP-D2 been running this way? Thanks because if that's what you've been doing for a while I'm buying the adapters today! And then checking various 6SN7 tubes to use with them...

Thetubeguy1954

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #838 of 964
GRK, so just that I'm perfectly clear --all you did was install four adapters and four 6SN7 tubes without changing any caps, resistors and/or inductors? The reason I'm asking again is I'm being told this isn't possible! Also if all you did was install the four adapters and four 6SN7 tubes, how long has your MP-D2 been running this way? Thanks because if that's what you've been doing for a while I'm buying the adapters today! And then checking various 6SN7 tubes to use with them...

Thetubeguy1954

I've been running CV181 treasures for about 6 months. Only modification required is to the case. Plus the adaptors obviously.

I've not been able to beat this setup with any other 12v/6v signal tube. 6SN7 or cv181 is the way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_102316.jpg
    IMG_20211114_102316.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210412_105513_resize_89.jpg
    IMG_20210412_105513_resize_89.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #839 of 964

Thetubeguy1954
Tubeguy
There is nothing electronically that makes this "impossible". I run SE so I don't run four 6sn7's I just run them in 1 and 3 sockets and put 2 stock 6 volts in 2 and 4. I sent the picture. So I only need 2 adapters. Nothing else is necessary. These 6sn7's are 6 volt tubes that simply have an octal pin configuration and all they need is an adapter. If you are running balanced then just run all four with adapters like @Psilonaught has shown in his pictures. I've changed caps a year ago but only because I wanted to use Vcap Odams, not because I had to for a tube change. And the only other thing you may need to do is buy 2 tube extenders so that you can stagger the height of the tubes if you plan on using Linlai elite series e6n7's. The glass is not coke bottle shape, its globe shaped and wider than other tubes so they don't fit directly next to each other. As for voltage....the circuit runs now with max voltage on small signal tubes at about 130 volts. 6sn7's allow up to over 400 volts. So you're in the clear as far as that goes. Garry Huang of Musical Paradise gave the go ahead on this. I have been running this way for about 3 months. Don Sachs has been running his 6sn7 set up for much longer. And my nephew has had the balanced set up for almost a year. And we also have @Psilonaught who has chimed in with his set up. No fires. No exploding listening rooms. No evil spirits emanating from the speakers. Nothing but octal tube listening bliss. The only thing that may make it "impossible" for these other guys is that they dont want to modify the openings on the cover to accommodate the tube width. Or to (oh, the horror) have to leave the top off because it won't look pretty for when company comes over. BTW....if that's the case simply get socket savers and pop them on the adapters and then you simply put the cover on and then put the tubes in.
Best of luck.....over and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back