Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
May 19, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #766 of 964
Link posted in an earlier thread. Around $1400 from AliExpress plus around $150 for decent cables.

I'd suggest only a VERY expensive dac would beat my combo, I'm delighted with the unit. I appreciate the cost is pretty high taking into account the tubes, caps and clock, therefore it should sound stellar!
Are you sure it was in AliExpress? I searched for over half an hour and this is what AliExpress kept saying: https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Music...Clock&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210519085125

I'm listening to: A Trick of The Tale by Genesis

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

May 19, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #767 of 964
Are you sure it was in AliExpress? I searched for over half an hour and this is what AliExpress kept saying: https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Music...Clock&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210519085125

I'm listening to: A Trick of The Tale by Genesis

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers
He posted the link a few posts back, though it was hard to see. Here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

May 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #768 of 964
He posted the link a few posts back, though it was hard to see. Here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Nimzerz thanks you very much. After searching for over an hour I gave up! I don't understand why AliExpress says they cannot locate the Musical Paradise Audio "Atomic Clock" when it's clearly on their website!?!?!? But I deeply appreciate your providing me with this link. I cannot thank you enough...

I'm listening to: Sera Una Noche by Sera Una Noche

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #769 of 964
Ok Guys be frank with me, alright? I'm still using the original MK-D2 MKI with the AKM AK4490 chip and in all these years I've only replaced the original tubes with a quad of Voskhod "rocket logo" 6N23P tubes and a Bendix 6106 rectifier tube. So please honestly tell me what replacing my original MP-D2 with Gary's latest, greatest MP-D2 will provide for sonic improvements! Also, I've read that the USB was improved, how so? And finally is having the external clock option a big deal? Thanks!

Thetubeguy1954

My System:

1. YBA Genesis CD-4 transport -- Snake River Audio Cottonmouth Signature power cord & Atelier Rullit "late gothic" digital wire.
  2. Musical Paradise MP-D2 tube DAC -- DIY power cord & Teo Audio GC Ultra "liquid metal" ICs.
  3. Don Sachs Custom 6SN7 tube line stage -- Sablon Gran Corona power cord & NBS Professional III ICs.
  4. Mastersound Reference 845, 40W/ch, SET amp -- Hi-Diamond 3.5 power cord & Snake River Audio Cottonmouth Signature speaker wires
  5. Reference 3a Taksim speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #770 of 964
I am also curious about this. I would say, however, that if you are still running the stock output caps (obbligato golds) then I highly suggest just getting a set of the VCap odams. It made a significant improvement in every way in my system. I have noticed that the musical paradise website still doesn’t have the motherboard or usb upgrades available after removing them from the store due to the pandemic. I’m not sure when to expect them to be back in stock.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #771 of 964
I am also curious about this. I would say, however, that if you are still running the stock output caps (obbligato golds) then I highly suggest just getting a set of the VCap odams. It made a significant improvement in every way in my system. I have noticed that the musical paradise website still doesn’t have the motherboard or usb upgrades available after removing them from the store due to the pandemic. I’m not sure when to expect them to be back in stock.
I got the newest iteration of the
I bought the latest iteration of the mp d2 mk3 right before the pandemic. I originally had the mk2 with akm4490 chipset. I got the high end Crystek clocks and I already had Mundorf silver oil caps. I used a pair of 6922 NOS Telefuncken signal tubes (or Dawning Series 6sn7 tubes with adapters) and a Philips Rectifier from 1960.
Now keep in mind that Garry really did a lot of upgrades from the mk2 to the mk3 in both design and parts used, including putting in ultra low noise regulators. He went to Vishay for power diodes. Just lots of good extras to improve sound quality and to let the DAC give great playback for DSD up to and including DSD 512.
I'm running a noiseless SMG server for storage and playback to an opticalRendu to MP D2 mk3 via USB using Roon / Tidal Masters. Output then goes to a Don Sach all in preamp using high end 6sn7 tubes then to LTA40 Reference amp to Spatial Audio X5's (or the newest Cornwall IV's with modified crossovers). Certainly the finest system I've had and the difference from the mk1 to the 3 was well worth it.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #772 of 964
Its hard to say Gary might not offer the upgradeed USB and MK3 boards anymore. I had a MK2 with stock Obligato output caps and tubes, but I sprung for the ESS9038 chipsets. Eventually I added 4 Mundorf SGO caps, 4 NOS 1964 Philips 6922 tubes and a NOS 1959 Amperex GZ34. the upgraded tubes really made a big difference. The Mundorf SGO caps made a large immediately noticeable difference too. Compared to my stock MK2 the upgrades were well worth it. Fast forward a year or more the board upgrades made at least as big of a difference as all my other upgrades. First I did the Crystek USB board upgrade, its was well worth it...very noticeable. I wondered what the MK3 board would bring, it just took everything to another level again. If I had to qauntify the boards upgrade I would say the USB board was good for a 40% improvement and the MK3 board was good for another 60%.

One nice thing about doing the upgrades in stages is you get to hear what each brings to the table...and everything brought something to the table. My MK3 is just on a whole other level now. I think I said before by the time you do the board upgrades you might be better off just getting a MK3. So to answer the question would a MK3 be better than a MK1 the answer is Yes!!!

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #773 of 964
You can do a few simple upgrades to your D2 MK1 and it’ll be 90% of the MK3 without the noise and switching issues. I’ve done several and the MK1 is still a very formidable platform to use. You can still use the MK3 USB board on the MK1 and it makes a considerable difference in SQ, you will need to flash your firmware to take advantage of it. Bias changes, a few key cap changes and your MK1 will run with the best of them. If you’re using a MK3 I highly suggest filling those missing resistor holes with 100K resistors and trying a Solid State rectifier since the HV is regulated and tube rectifiers don’t make the difference that they do in the MK1/2 series.

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #774 of 964
For anybody else wondering about the mk3 board upgrades, I emailed Gary about it a while back and he told me that due to the AKM fire and supply chain issues, he cannot produce them at the moment. The coaxial and AES receiver chips were made by AKM, so we will likely see a revision to the board in the future. Not sure how long that will take. Figured I'd share the info in this thread in case anybody else had the same question.

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #776 of 964
Hi there - serious question. I have a relatively well-featured MP-D2 Mk 3 – ESS DAC chip, Mundorf silver/gold/oil caps, a nicer rectifier, vintage tubes, etc.
I recently took the opportunity to swap it with a friend for a similarly priced Brooklyn DAC – not the plus variant. I was really surprised at how flat and uninvolving the Brooklyn sounded.

Now, I know this is something of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, but how much more performance will a more high-end DAC give me do you think? Or is my MP likely to be representative of this class of equipment? I’m considering a Holo May variant as the reviews are almost uniformly excellent but it’s a significant investment and I’m wondering if for all intents and purposes what I’ve got is getting me 95% of the way there. Perhaps more with a few more tweaks.

I know amp/speakers/room etc are potentially very/more significant factors in the listening experience, but keeping like-for-like is a more ‘top-end’ DAC going to give me a transformative experience, or just a different flavour of what I already have?

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #777 of 964
@Baci
Its all money, how much do you want to spend? Its my feeling that at the fully loaded MPD2 price point other DACs are only going to be a side step.
Although I havent compared I have read where the MPD2 compares very well with more expensive DACs.

The other DACs that come to my mind that would interest me would be Aqua La Scala/Formula or Denafrips Terminator 2/Plus all significantly more money
If money were no object I would say go for it, but for us mere mortals a full zoot MPD2 is pretty kick ass.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #778 of 964
A top-flight RDR dac like the Holo or Terminator should in theory sound better than even a tricked out MP D2, but then they are considerably more expensive.

Classic case of diminishing return.

Personally, I would invest in end-game amps and speakers first, and then maybe consider a step-up to something like the terminator.

What is the rest of your system spec?

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #779 of 964
Diminishing return indeed! I am using a PrimaLuna Evo 300 integrated into Klipsch Heresey 3s. A couple of sub woofers (REL and SVS) add heft to the bottom and a GD Audio DI-20 HE DDC converter cleans up the signal. I've been around audio for a very long time but this is the first time I've been interested in optimising/investing in a way forward. As a hobby there's a lot of pleasure in strategising upgrades and that part of that little thought experiment is where the maximum bang for buck can be found. I can't do room treatments to any great extent, but I can selectively upgrade components over time. The MP and PL hear gives me the option of tube rolling, which has been great fun, and the speakers will be changed out next Feb (thinking Cornwalls) but for now the DAC is incredibly satisfying... but what more might be there if I invest? I'm working from home and immersed in music 10 hours a day. No complaints! I found myself turning the music off in the brief time I had the brooklyn, But with the MP I often stop what I'm doing and get caught up in the sound. Thank god for Tidal and Roon! End game amps is interesting. Considering a pair of Decware Monos but that would require a bit of a rethink all round as I'd need to get a pre also. And I like the Prima Luna sound a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back