Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #721 of 964
Hi
Its a direct replacement at 6.3v, no adapter needed, and sorry thought i put ECC88 which is what it is not ECC85

sean
Hahaha, that makes sense. Yes, I am finding that both the ecc88 (6922) and ecc81(12at7) make for a good match with the dac. I ordered a bunch of different tubes during the lastbfew months. Hopefully I should be able to do a comparison in a couple months. 🤞

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #722 of 964
I have also got a further 2 sets, set of phillips miniwatts and a set of mullards both 12au7, i like them but not as much as the Tungsgrams, they are more mellow in the mids, the SS is smaller with them to, however with music like jazz they are very good but as an all rounder really loving the ECC88's im using a RCA rectifier too which i like very much

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #725 of 964
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #727 of 964
I'd like to try something a little warmer on the signal tube side, so could anyone recommend something? I don't want to lose any air or sparkle...how about 12bh7a?

I'm almost exclusively listening to jazz and folk these days, so mid-range texture is important, and I want to avoid any glare on piano keys if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #728 of 964
I'd like to try something a little warmer on the signal tube side, so could anyone recommend something? I don't want to lose any air or sparkle...how about 12bh7a?

I'm almost exclusively listening to jazz and folk these days, so mid-range texture is important, and I want to avoid any glare on piano keys if that makes sense.

What are you using currently?

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #730 of 964
6N23P Silver Shield 74 SWGP

Unfortunately one has already gone bad so I've had to remove them and go back to the stock 6N6 tubes

Thats unfortunate. I've had similar issues with the 6n23p's. They seem to be pretty fragile and tend to conk off very fast. I recently went ahead and got myself 74 reflectors - grey shield, 74 reflector - silver shield and 75 voskhods to compare with my 75 reflector - silver shields.
I would say that my system borders on the neutral. Depending on the input tubes on my mp-d2 the sound get warm or neutral or cold, which I think is as neutral as it can get in my small room.
I found the 75 reflectors to be a bit warmer than the 74's with bit more zip up top. But I think the 74 reflectors are definitely not cold. I would put them neutral with just a hint of warmth. In terms on overall compatibility in my system I would rate them as 75 voskhod > 75 reflector > 74 reflector silver shield > 74 reflector grey shield. I think both 75 voskhod and 75 reflector are equally good. In my system, I actually prefer the slightly more accurate tonality of the voskhod - possibly because of the beryllium tweeters on my speakers.
I consider both 6H6p and 6H1p to be also on the warmer side of the spectrum.
What I am really enjoying now are 12at7 tubes. Got myself some Siemens Ecc801s, E81CC and ECC81 tube recently and the tonality is to die for. If your amplifier can handle the gain, these are the tubes I will recommend. If you can get either of the E81CC or the ECC81's - they are fabulous. Super detailed but not in your face, fantastic imaging, very airy. Bass is really good with a very dense tonality. Guitars, Pianos... sound so so good.
The sound stage of the ECC81 is perhaps not as wide as the 75 reflectors but definitely on par with 74 reflectors. Separation is good. The best of the lot is the E81CC (triple mica). It outperforms the 75 reflectors on every front. And the imaging is perfect. Tonality is so dense that on really bad recordings it gets a bit too much but even with spotify quality, these tubes are awesome.
I have not had any experience with the 12BH7's but from what I read, they should provide for a better tone that the 12au7's. I always consider the 12au7 family to be a little thin sounding - atleast the ones that I've heard.
Cheers

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #731 of 964
Thats unfortunate. I've had similar issues with the 6n23p's. They seem to be pretty fragile and tend to conk off very fast. I recently went ahead and got myself 74 reflectors - grey shield, 74 reflector - silver shield and 75 voskhods to compare with my 75 reflector - silver shields.
I would say that my system borders on the neutral. Depending on the input tubes on my mp-d2 the sound get warm or neutral or cold, which I think is as neutral as it can get in my small room.
I found the 75 reflectors to be a bit warmer than the 74's with bit more zip up top. But I think the 74 reflectors are definitely not cold. I would put them neutral with just a hint of warmth. In terms on overall compatibility in my system I would rate them as 75 voskhod > 75 reflector > 74 reflector silver shield > 74 reflector grey shield. I think both 75 voskhod and 75 reflector are equally good. In my system, I actually prefer the slightly more accurate tonality of the voskhod - possibly because of the beryllium tweeters on my speakers.
I consider both 6H6p and 6H1p to be also on the warmer side of the spectrum.
What I am really enjoying now are 12at7 tubes. Got myself some Siemens Ecc801s, E81CC and ECC81 tube recently and the tonality is to die for. If your amplifier can handle the gain, these are the tubes I will recommend. If you can get either of the E81CC or the ECC81's - they are fabulous. Super detailed but not in your face, fantastic imaging, very airy. Bass is really good with a very dense tonality. Guitars, Pianos... sound so so good.
The sound stage of the ECC81 is perhaps not as wide as the 75 reflectors but definitely on par with 74 reflectors. Separation is good. The best of the lot is the E81CC (triple mica). It outperforms the 75 reflectors on every front. And the imaging is perfect. Tonality is so dense that on really bad recordings it gets a bit too much but even with spotify quality, these tubes are awesome.
I have not had any experience with the 12BH7's but from what I read, they should provide for a better tone that the 12au7's. I always consider the 12au7 family to be a little thin sounding - atleast the ones that I've heard.
Cheers

brilliant thank you, I will order a couple of sets to see.

What voltage is 12AT7, 6 or 12v?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #732 of 964
brilliant thank you, I will order a couple of sets to see.

these look good for example?
From the CV code I think that they are mullards. They will be warm most likely but my experience with mullards is that they are usually not as airy as maybe other european manufacturers. Ofcourse this is a very very general statement. And it will depend on the rest of components in your system. I say read as many reviews / blogs as you can and take a chance 😊.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #735 of 964

Go for full music 12bh7. Jazzy warmish is the sound! ✌️. And yeah I know you didn't like the 6sn7 but linlai also has 6sn7 elite now and there very good. If you have mk3 deluxe version (latest) then only need those 2 6sn7 with rca played. For me the best. Before was FM 12bh7 my first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back