Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #106 of 964
mko,
I'll certainly be interested in your opinion of the Duelands. Getting the 3.3uf's, good, nobody I know of has tried Duelands or any 3.3uf caps for that matter. They're definitely the high priced spread.
This evening I rolled in some voshod 6n23p's but wasn't paying close enough attention and shorted one.
mad.gif
 I waited a month for those to be sent from the Ukraine. Hmm...I didn't let the D2 rest for the caps to unload and just made a small move that caused the short.

...Roy

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #107 of 964
Aww man that sucks...I've always read at a minimum you should wait a half hour before poking around inside stuff. I once got a nasty shock that left my fingers numb for awhile when I was unplugging the electronic plate on my SoundLab speaker. You get reminded real quick!!

I'd call Andy at Vintage Tube, I spoke with him yesterday and wow that guy knows his stuff. Lucky for me, he's only about an hours drive from me so I'm going to go see him and have him help me pick out some tubes.

The Caps without the sale price cost more then the DAC.. but I think they will be worth it. Duelund is legendary stuff and I've never tried them so I'll be reporting my findings.

This is eventually going to be extremely modified. I just wanted to post my results stock and with each subsequent change. Since we can play with so many things the more people getting on and posting, the better it'll be for us all no?

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #108 of 964
Hey 'rajacat'
Wanted to know whether you found any change in the 6n1p's. I have been using mine sporadically and these are possibly the most detailed and linear tubes in my collection. The only issues I have is that the bass is super damped - to the extent that to me it sounds very unnatural. I wanted to know your inputs, whether you had more improvement after the extended burning in...

I switched back to the 6n1p's. I hear what you mean by the damped bass. It's interesting that the Amperex's and the 6n1p seem to be very different with the Amperex having too much bass and definitely doesn't image as well. I can easily adjust the gain on my woofer amps, I biamp, so I'm playing with that now. I shorted ,one of my 6n23p's so they're on the back burner until I can get another pair. I'm really enjoying the 6n1p now and will bake them some more in hoping that they loosen up a bit. They sure image nicely though.

I think I'll get some 6H30's and may try the Upscale MATSU****A / NATIONAL PCC88 / 7DJ8.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #111 of 964

Picked up this ultra rare Western Electric 422A for my MP D2..

And this WireWorld Starlight 6 USB Cable

Going to Vintage Tube Services ( http://vintagetubeservices.com ) later today and talk with Andy about picking out a pair of nos tubes to use. And he's going to test/verify the 422A is in good shape as it's a eBay purchase... I would really recommend contacting him before buying tubes anywhere else. Just take a look at his website.

Do you guys know that Parts Connexion is having a 25% off sale on Capacitors? ( http://www.partsconnexion.com/t/eblast/2017/apr/apr.html )

I'm taking advantage of that and ordered a pair of Duelund 3.3uF 630VAC, CAST Cu/Ag Hybrid Caps.

So once I make my tube selection with Andy, I'll have all the upgrades in place and ready to install.. just waiting on the cap order from pcX...

This is going to be fun!! I'll post the tube choice once I have them!

WOW!!! You certainly are not holding back. Duelands and the 422WE. HiFi heaven!! Way to go, man!

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #112 of 964

Hey 'rajacat'
Wanted to know whether you found any change in the 6n1p's. I have been using mine sporadically and these are possibly the most detailed and linear tubes in my collection. The only issues I have is that the bass is super damped - to the extent that to me it sounds very unnatural. I wanted to know your inputs, whether you had more improvement after the extended burning in...

I switched back to the 6n1p's. I hear what you mean by the damped bass. It's interesting that the Amperex's and the 6n1p seem to be very different with the Amperex having too much bass and definitely doesn't image as well. I can easily adjust the gain on my woofer amps, I biamp, so I'm playing with that now. I shorted ,one of my 6n23p's so they're on the back burner until I can get another pair. I'm really enjoying the 6n1p now and will bake them some more in hoping that they loosen up a bit. They sure image nicely though.

I think I'll get some 6H30's and may try the Upscale MATSU****A / NATIONAL PCC88 / 7DJ8.

I would recommend trying out the Sovtek 6H30's first. I tried both the EH (warmer than the Sovtek's with less detail) and the Sovtek 6H30 and in my system, the Sovteks are every bit as good as the Reflektor 6h23p silver shield 75's. They go absolutely neck to neck till it comes to tonality. There, the 6H30's are tone monsters, while the Reflektor 75' SWGP's retain that tube delicateness. The Sovtek's are ultra neutral and seem a bit faster. Bass, I think, is slightly better on the Sovtek's.
I am not sure about the Matsu****a's but, I think, they are similar in price to the Sovtek's. If your system can handle the lower gain of the 6H30's, they are the tube I would recommend. In any case I doubt that the Matsu****a's will be a significant improvement over the orange globes. Just my 2 cents :)
Cheers

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #113 of 964
  I would recommend trying out the Sovtek 6H30's first. I tried both the EH (warmer than the Sovtek's with less detail) and the Sovtek 6H30 and in my system, the Sovteks are every bit as good as the Reflektor 6h23p silver shield 75's. They go absolutely neck to neck till it comes to tonality. There, the 6H30's are tone monsters, while the Reflektor 75' SWGP's retain that tube delicateness. The Sovtek's are ultra neutral and seem a bit faster. Bass, I think, is slightly better on the Sovtek's.
I am not sure about the Matsu****a's but, I think, they are similar in price to the Sovtek's. If your system can handle the lower gain of the 6H30's, they are the tube I would recommend. In any case I doubt that the Matsu****a's will be a significant improvement over the orange globes. Just my 2 cents :)
Cheers

As you suggest I'll try the Sovtek 6h30's. My rig has sufficient gain. I don't have the patience to wait for ebay Russian tubes at this time, plus a tube tester is almost  necessity so you can order a half dozen or more. Presently, I can't live with the lack of bass with the 6n1p's. 
I just loaded the stock tubes and to hear how they sound again. Will put in an order for the Sovtek's this evening.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #114 of 964
Hey Rajacat, I used dsd with the MP2. I use JRiver. Works flawlessly in my system but only upto dsd 128.

Because you have only DSD128 materials, or it can't play DSD256 as advertised?

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #116 of 964
  As you suggest I'll try the Sovtek 6h30's. My rig has sufficient gain. I don't have the patience to wait for ebay Russian tubes at this time, plus a tube tester is almost  necessity so you can order a half dozen or more. Presently, I can't live with the lack of bass with the 6n1p's. 
I just loaded the stock tubes and to hear how they sound again. Will put in an order for the Sovtek's this evening.

I also found a big difference in tubes which has undergone the cryo treatment. My EH 6H30's are not cryoed while the Sovtek's are. I don't know whether that's the reason why they (Sovtek) perform better but it might also be a thing to consider.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #117 of 964
Apr 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #118 of 964
Apr 13, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #119 of 964
I also found a big difference in tubes which has undergone the cryo treatment. My EH 6H30's are not cryoed while the Sovtek's are. I don't know whether that's the reason why they (Sovtek) perform better but it might also be a thing to consider.

I found a good deal on the Upscale EH 6H30's. They are unused cryoed, ARC Select...$80 shipped. You mentioned that the cryro process might be the reason that you preferred the Sovtek's, I decided to go for the EH's since they're ARC Select and cryoed for about the same price as the Sovtek's gold grade/ cryoed. It'll be interesting if I find the EH's crisp enough.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 964

I found a good deal on the Upscale EH 6H30's. They are unused cryoed, ARC Select...$80 shipped. You mentioned that the cryro process might be the reason that you preferred the Sovtek's, I decided to go for the EH's since they're ARC Select and cryoed for about the same price as the Sovtek's gold grade/ cryoed. It'll be interesting if I find the EH's crisp enough.

Been reading these posts with interest. I had my eye on those EHArc select tubes from upscale also. My question is, does anyone else run the gold lions? (as I do) 
I've been very happy with them, but curiosity and all that! Doe's anyone have a direct comparison between the gold lions and the EH or Sovteks? Don't want to splurge if there isn't going to be a notable difference.

I also picked up some 60's Amperex orange globes and will give them a try over the weekend. 

I did roll in one of my U52's today and it sounds wonderful!

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back