Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #301 of 964
beautiful..and the list of the upgrades is really impressive, but I am kind of disappointed that the array of digital inputs is basically the same: maybe asking for a HDMI I2s is too much, but at least a true 75 ohm BNC could have been provided...

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #303 of 964
I sold my MP-D2 MKII and the new owner says the coax from his source won't play. He tried the optical and it works. I only used usb, and I am the original owner. Anyone have any ideas here? He says his coax works on his old dac. I have an email in to Gary. The dac has been flawless on usb. Any help= will be greatly appreciated.

I ordered the MP-D2 MK3 and waiting for the new dac boards from manufacturing. Mine will arrive after Christmas.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #304 of 964
The MP-D2 MK II coax does not work for any digital input above 24/48. This is a huge mistake by Paradise Music. I talk to their owner and he does not help much.

The Mk III should be better in this as it has got its own SPDIF receiver chip.

I hope they have better customer services.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #308 of 964
Ernie,

The spec of MP-D2 MK II very specifically mention 24/96. That is why I bought it because I need 24/96. The problem is that these machines are shipped out from China. And if there is any thing wrong inherited in the design, there is nothing Gary can do about it. The cost of returning the unit is too high. And he is not providing support. And this is one good example about the service support of mainland Chinese brand.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MP-D2 MK II using the USB input. But this deficiency, shows the risk every one has to face to trade with mainland Chinese. They do not know the contractual obligation and the required moral standard as a responsible manufacturer as understand by the Western world. If he is listening, he should contact me for what he can do to follow up.

They still have a long road to the modern world.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #309 of 964
MP-D2 MK3 ES9038 Pro is in the house. I installed the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps that were in my MK2 AK4497 and the same exact tubes.
The dac has been playing for an hour and I notice a lot more air and bigger sound stage compared to the MK2. I can't wait for this to be fully broken in.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #312 of 964
How about an update?:slight_smile:
I've had the MK3 running for a full week now and this is a serious audiophile dac. The soundstage is immense, the notes are rich with detail and it makes me want to listen. The MK3 is a big step up from the MK2 IMO. The usb has never faultered to any material I have tried or missed a connection. Even my wife was impressed by the sound. Gary's claims of more bass is correct, but I feel the bass is more accurate and dynamic. The mids and highs are wonderful. Voice has all the nuances and feel they should. The highs are clean and have sparkle. Not goey, but accurate. The MK3 is easily worth the money.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #313 of 964
I've had the MK3 running for a full week now and this is a serious audiophile dac. The soundstage is immense, the notes are rich with detail and it makes me want to listen. The MK3 is a big step up from the MK2 IMO. The usb has never faultered to any material I have tried or missed a connection. Even my wife was impressed by the sound. Gary's claims of more bass is correct, but I feel the bass is more accurate and dynamic. The mids and highs are wonderful. Voice has all the nuances and feel they should. The highs are clean and have sparkle. Not goey, but accurate. The MK3 is easily worth the money.
Thanks! I now must look to sell my MK1 and save up a few $'s. I definitely don't want to go dacless for a few weeks.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #314 of 964
I ordered the MK3, hope it arrives soon. Luckily i have a few NOS Rectifier tubes from my PrimaLuna preamp days.

I would like to upgrade the caps, does anyone know the value of the stock Obbligato caps? I mean how many uF are they exactly?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back