Musical Movies (and Movie-like Music)
Mar 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

misterheadphones

New Head-Fier
I've been interested in the relationship between music and movies lately. A few months ago I saw Dark Side of the Rainbow for the first time. If you've never tried it, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon syncs up perfectly with the Wizard of Oz if you start the album after the third roar of the MGM lion.

I think there is a reason these works complement each other so well. Dark Side of the Moon is very much like a movie in that it tells a story. The Wizard of Oz (with the sound turned off) is very musical because it doesn't rely much on the dialogue to tell the story. It relies mostly on pictures that I would consider very musical (it's hard to explain why). The two works happen to be telling very similar stories.

Now I feel inspired to find connections between other movies and albums and I would really appreciate your help.

What is your favorite music-like movie? or
What is your favorite movie-like album?

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 10
There was a page that developed after the whole Dark Side of the Rainbow thing that listed many different music/movie mashups that worked to varying degrees. One of the best I found was Kid A and Fight Club. I do believe that Radiohead did this on purpose. They were asked to do the soundtrack to Fight Club but were hard at work on Kid A at the time. I believe they got themselves a copy before release and synced up the first few minutes of the film as a sort of "This is how we'd do it" type of thing.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 10
I think Fight Club is a pretty good example of a musical movie. I think it might go well with something dark or industrial.

There are some obvious examples, like Fantasia and Yellow Submarine, that actually go with music. Theres bound to be other stuff that goes with them as well. One time my friend accidently synced Yellow Submarine with a rap song (but we were pretty stoned so I don't know if it actually worked or not). I remember it being pretty cool though.

Here are some albums I consider very movie-like:
Buckethead - Population Override
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible (all three albums)
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats ("it's like a movie for your ears" - Frank Zappa)
Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat (was an album before the actual movie came out)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
The Who - Quadrophenia
Yes - Relayer

I know the concept of a "concept album" is so vague, but to me, all these albums have a central theme that develop a story just like a movie does.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 10
13th Generation by Saga.
It tells a story on its own and is one of the few albums I want to hear in the order it's been put on cd...no shuffle.
It's also very different than the other stuff I've heard from them.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Not sure if I quite grasp the idea here.
But for music-like movie, Across the Universe. I enjoyed it alot.

And for movie-like music, Eternal Morning's "soundtrack to a lost film."

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 10
Music-like movie ... kind of obvious, but 2001: A Space Odyssey. In fact, really anything by Kubrick.

Cinematic music ... too many to list, but including:
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
Lambchop, Awcmon/Noyoucmon (IIRC something to do with a score that they wrote for the silent movie, Sunrise?)
John Zorn, IAO (Not a movie I'd choose to see, though ...
wink.gif
)

More if I think of them ...

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Anything recent by Nightwish. Film composer Hans Zimmer is a major influence on the band's sound, particularly on their long, epic tracks like Ghost Love Score or The Poet and the Pendulum.

But you'd have to like female-fronted Symphonic Power Metal.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back