musical fidelity x can v3 amplifier & HD 650,s
Aug 4, 2007 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jaydoo1

New Head-Fier
hi everyone i just recieved my sennheiser hd 650 ,im using a yamaha rxv 1000 av reciever amp to power the headphones, nad 520 cd player, im very impressed,i have ordered the musical fidelity x can v3 headphone amplifier what type of improvement will i hear ,i cant waiit ,thanks for any input

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 11
X can V3 + HD650 =
600smile.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydoo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi everyone i just recieved my sennheiser hd 650 ,im using a yamaha rxv 1000 av reciever amp to power the headphones, nad 520 cd player, im very impressed,i have ordered the musical fidelity x can v3 headphone amplifier what type of improvement will i hear ,i cant waiit ,thanks for any input

Your in for Audio bliss(once you mod it and get some good Russian tubes).
icon10.gif

In stock form it does everything well/good. In modded form it will best most every amp under $1000.
icon10.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Just do a search on for the XCAN v3, and you'll find a lot of discussions of this great amp, especially with the other MF Small X-Series Components... and with the PinkFloyd mods.

And... the bonus is... it sounds great with any headphones (e.g. Grados, ATH's, etc., as well as well as Senns) - see my signature below.

But... to reach the real potential of the HD650's, you'll need to de-veil them, add a silver cable, and a good DAC - preferably the Monarchy Audio M24 - which produces a very special "synergy" with the XCAN v3 and the HD650's.

Also see...

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm

http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=q

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 11
My v3 was the best sound I had until I got my MPX3. But...

I find my unmodded v3 to be a *tad* harsh and analytical. I've used it with SR-80s (mucho listening fatigue), HD595s (pretty good, but I don't think they're broken in yet), and HD580s (best sound of all, especially after breakin, but now I use them with my MPX3.)

I drive 'em with a CIAudio VDA.1 + VAC.1. I've found that this DAC can overdrive the v3 into distortion on some very loud recordings, so I'm looking for some LPADs for it (any suggestions?).

I have rolled a few tubes: some new production JJ 6DJ8 ($9.95/ea) and currently am using Mullard CV2492s ($89.95/ea). I was surprised at how close the JJs came to the Mullards. What are these Russian tubes of which you guys speak?

I'd like to warm up the sound a bit. What do you guys think would warm up the sound the most? My experience is that the PS is very important (my SP has tons of PS upgrades.) And then caps. After tubes, of course. But good tubes can't over come lower quality components.

I agree, though, that you'll like the rig, especially considering the Senns.

Let us know how it works out for you!

-=A=-

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 11
The Xcan v3 and Senn's have good synergy together and will be a worthwhile upgrade from your receiver. You can "tune" the sound through your tube choice and the Pink Floyd upgrades can turn the amp into one of the best.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Xcan v3 and Senn's have good synergy together and will be a worthwhile upgrade from your receiver. You can "tune" the sound through your tube choice and the Pink Floyd upgrades can turn the amp into one of the best.

Very well said.
cool.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 11
For those who have done the PinkFloyd mods could you comment on the price/performance considerations. The U.S. dollar is down against European currencies so for us in the U.S. the mods get fairly pricey:
Little Pinkie v3 : £90 GBP = $184
6H23N-EV Preferred Tubes: £20 per pair= $41
cap and diode kit :£50= $102
When you add these mods to the $500 retail price of a new XCan v3, you're getting up in the range of some pretty nice amps.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back