Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - review
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jason1969

New Head-Fier
Well, no-one has reviewed the V90-HPA as far as I can tell, so... I bought one.

Thinkpad T61 + P100ii.
- Don't be silly!
- ok, bass punch - but muddy, compressed, clipped high end range, can be involving, but crowds at anything demanding.

MF V90-HPA + P100ii. That is, a USB-DAC to headphone-amp in one box.
- Initial ... fluid, precise, clarity, no crowding, great separation.
- Bass ... loses a bit too much, punch weakened (SURPRISING based on the DAC-only unit reports)
- Midrange ... very low midrange a bit too thin, you actually notice involvement in that area is missing.
- Female vocals - that bit too thin & bright in that it begins to get tiring over time

Overall
Classic Musical Fidelity signature - WITHOUT THE PRICE - musically smooth, faithful incision.
HOWEVER for ME that tiny bit too bright, gets tiring, so looking elsewhere. That is a common "10% of people who listened to MF over time vs in the listening room". So don't take it too strongly.

Negative
Headphones really THUMP with power on/off.

Build Quality
Someone actually cared, I bet it might be a tiny bit better with a worked over PSU vs wall wart.

So what now...
Market bottom - Topping VX1 has more features, likely inferior, unreviewed.
Market top - perhaps Meridian Explorer

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 23
Sorry I'm a bit a confused - do you mean you bought the v90-hpa and also the m1 hpa? If so how do they compare? Just looking at these, helpful to know your thoughts.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 23
No, just the v90-hpa.
I was comparing it to the pretty poor T61 internal SoundMax HD, whose sound is ironically better than the later X200T.

The v90-hpa has the Musical Fidelity signature.
- Crystal Clear.
- Fantastic Resolution.
- Attack & Decay of instruments is crisp... but this and a degree brightness can become tiring to SOME listeners.

The Senn p100ii were a poor match really, I now have HD558s which whilst imperfect are a better balance overall - but I suspect the review comments would still stand pretty unchanged.

What is surprising is the v90-hpa gave the classic MF signature I remember from their grey boxes of the late-80s/early-90s without the price. Comes down to preference and what phones you partner the unit with, so signature aside "test n see".

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 23
I bought this 2 weeks ago...my first headphone amp, using a Cyrus Dac-XP and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums...will need bedding in but initial impressions are it's a super amp for the money

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 23
There is the old adage that what seems overly bright after a few months doesn't, ears burn-in slower than electronics :))

Out of about 7 reviews (mostly buyer) that I have seen, only 1 has suggested slightly bright - plus my own which I think was Emeli Sande at one point on one track. That could EASILY be a matter of new to ears, sinus and headphones which lost the left a few days later. I did not have chance to try the V90-HPA with my current HD558 which is unfortunate.

There are rumous that the MF V90-DAC is somewhat better than the V90-HPA - and V90-DAC is well reviewed.

Going to V90-DAC prompts the question which headphone amp to match it with?

I wish MF had just stuck a headphone socket on the Amp for a separate DAC+AMP twin rather than V90-HPA. However it is a stark move for MF to produce a dedicated V90-cutdown-DAC-HPA at what is a very low price point in comparison. Perhaps someone finally figuring out that volume makes more than niche... a long history of dead UK businesses that snobbishly ignored that.

To add, I wonder if a better PSU would help...

Many thanks for the follow up review.

Mar 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 23
I am without the HPA-V90 now.
Very frustrated I did not try the V90-HPA with the HD598.

Still looking for a DAC+HeadAmp.
Tried many things, nothing really hitting the nail.
One thing that sticks in my mind about the HPA-V90 was the separation, clarity (every breath) & musicality.

Next things to try...
A - Arcam rPAC - will audition shortly, open mind
B - MF V90-HPA - could buy back
C - MF V90-DAC - I lack the time to find a headphone amp, the search instead of ending then begins!

Re HD598 & ATH-M50.
Tried both, went with the HD598 re my heavy bias for female vocals.
However they are a good solution for covering a LOT of music out there.

The V90-HPA PSU is commodity meet EU-SMPS legislation.
I am certain those who changed the PSU found it improved the bass quite noticeably.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 23
I have been fortunate in either borrowing, choosing suppliers with sale discounts & selling at the discounted sale price, or choosing unusual suppliers with "if not happy for any reason". So the cost has been minimal, thus far.

I would like to go with the Arcam or V90-HPA really ... cost & time would soon rack up finding a headphone amp for the V90-DAC. My old Thinkpad T will eventually be broken up for parts, with my various Thinkpad X tablets taking over - and that has an utterly diabolical sound system (1980s AM radio!). Frustrating MF have gone all consumerist with a combined HPA+DAC... tut-tut ... what is the world coming too :)))

Edit: Spheres.
Arcam +ve ... good, very musical, clearer
Arcam -ve ... not the clarity or separation of the MF, indeed in a lower class + does not like either laptop (cut out crunch re-plug disease which means insufficient power) + clicks n pops + volume a bit lacking on the HD598

Oh the Arcam can singgggg-g-g-g-g-g-g ... just not quite as good as the MF quite definately... something is a bit recessed, only a bit but enough to detract. There is gravy spilt on the PCB somewhere re attack/decay unlike the MF very clearly on piano!

Hmmm... time to investigate amps for V90-DAC methinks.

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Now trying the Arcam rPAC with a very old XP desktop showed its better colours...

It does have a bit of gravy (veil), but it is very very nice gravy.
VERY much worth an audition at the least, it is not fatiguing, just not as super-precise as the MF.

So bear in mind a powered hub may help matters / be necessary.

Like 2 pairs of headphones, it may be necessary to have two DACs :))

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 23
@jason1969, @sebajun   I own the V90-HPA and I agree with your reviews. The only thing I do not like about this amp is that it is somewhat lacking in bass. You guys mentioned that changing the PSU can/may improve that. Since I am a newbie, may I ask if you are talking about the power-adapter that gets plugged into electrical-outlet!

Which brand/model would you be replacing it with? Where can I get it in the US?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Apologies for my ignorance as I'm a completely newbie to the world of headphones and DAC, but as the V90-HPA accepts USB input does this infer that V90-HPA is a DAC as well as a headphone amplifier?

Or would I better offer buying a separate DAC to feed a headphone amplifier.

Presently I listen to music using my Apple Computer using my Philips Uptown headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back