1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by jason1969, Jan 9, 2014.
Next

Last
  1. jason1969
    Well, no-one has reviewed the V90-HPA as far as I can tell, so... I bought one.

Thinkpad T61 + P100ii.
    - Don't be silly!
    - ok, bass punch - but muddy, compressed, clipped high end range, can be involving, but crowds at anything demanding.

MF V90-HPA + P100ii. That is, a USB-DAC to headphone-amp in one box.
    - Initial ... fluid, precise, clarity, no crowding, great separation.
    - Bass ... loses a bit too much, punch weakened (SURPRISING based on the DAC-only unit reports)
    - Midrange ... very low midrange a bit too thin, you actually notice involvement in that area is missing.
    - Female vocals - that bit too thin & bright in that it begins to get tiring over time

Overall
    Classic Musical Fidelity signature - WITHOUT THE PRICE - musically smooth, faithful incision.
    HOWEVER for ME that tiny bit too bright, gets tiring, so looking elsewhere. That is a common "10% of people who listened to MF over time vs in the listening room". So don't take it too strongly.

Negative
    Headphones really THUMP with power on/off.

Build Quality
    Someone actually cared, I bet it might be a tiny bit better with a worked over PSU vs wall wart.

So what now...
    Market bottom - Topping VX1 has more features, likely inferior, unreviewed.
    Market top - perhaps Meridian Explorer

trellus and khojberg like this.
  2. Wojtek
    Sorry I'm a bit a confused - do you mean you bought the v90-hpa and also the m1 hpa? If so how do they compare? Just looking at these, helpful to know your thoughts.

3. jason1969
    No, just the v90-hpa.
    I was comparing it to the pretty poor T61 internal SoundMax HD, whose sound is ironically better than the later X200T.

The v90-hpa has the Musical Fidelity signature.
    - Crystal Clear.
    - Fantastic Resolution.
    - Attack & Decay of instruments is crisp... but this and a degree brightness can become tiring to SOME listeners.

The Senn p100ii were a poor match really, I now have HD558s which whilst imperfect are a better balance overall - but I suspect the review comments would still stand pretty unchanged.

What is surprising is the v90-hpa gave the classic MF signature I remember from their grey boxes of the late-80s/early-90s without the price. Comes down to preference and what phones you partner the unit with, so signature aside "test n see".

trellus likes this.
  4. Mister R
    I bought this 2 weeks ago...my first headphone amp, using a Cyrus Dac-XP and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums...will need bedding in but initial impressions are it's a super amp for the money

5. sebajun

6. jason1969
    There is the old adage that what seems overly bright after a few months doesn't, ears burn-in slower than electronics :))

Out of about 7 reviews (mostly buyer) that I have seen, only 1 has suggested slightly bright - plus my own which I think was Emeli Sande at one point on one track. That could EASILY be a matter of new to ears, sinus and headphones which lost the left a few days later. I did not have chance to try the V90-HPA with my current HD558 which is unfortunate.

There are rumous that the MF V90-DAC is somewhat better than the V90-HPA - and V90-DAC is well reviewed.

Going to V90-DAC prompts the question which headphone amp to match it with?

I wish MF had just stuck a headphone socket on the Amp for a separate DAC+AMP twin rather than V90-HPA. However it is a stark move for MF to produce a dedicated V90-cutdown-DAC-HPA at what is a very low price point in comparison. Perhaps someone finally figuring out that volume makes more than niche... a long history of dead UK businesses that snobbishly ignored that.

To add, I wonder if a better PSU would help...

Many thanks for the follow up review.

7. sebajun

8. jason1969
    I am without the HPA-V90 now.
    Very frustrated I did not try the V90-HPA with the HD598.

Still looking for a DAC+HeadAmp.
    Tried many things, nothing really hitting the nail.
    One thing that sticks in my mind about the HPA-V90 was the separation, clarity (every breath) & musicality.

Next things to try...
    A - Arcam rPAC - will audition shortly, open mind
    B - MF V90-HPA - could buy back
    C - MF V90-DAC - I lack the time to find a headphone amp, the search instead of ending then begins!

Re HD598 & ATH-M50.
    Tried both, went with the HD598 re my heavy bias for female vocals.
    However they are a good solution for covering a LOT of music out there.

The V90-HPA PSU is commodity meet EU-SMPS legislation.
    I am certain those who changed the PSU found it improved the bass quite noticeably.

9. sebajun

10. jason1969
    I have been fortunate in either borrowing, choosing suppliers with sale discounts & selling at the discounted sale price, or choosing unusual suppliers with "if not happy for any reason". So the cost has been minimal, thus far.

I would like to go with the Arcam or V90-HPA really ... cost & time would soon rack up finding a headphone amp for the V90-DAC. My old Thinkpad T will eventually be broken up for parts, with my various Thinkpad X tablets taking over - and that has an utterly diabolical sound system (1980s AM radio!). Frustrating MF have gone all consumerist with a combined HPA+DAC... tut-tut ... what is the world coming too :)))

Edit: Spheres.
    Arcam +ve ... good, very musical, clearer
    Arcam -ve ... not the clarity or separation of the MF, indeed in a lower class + does not like either laptop (cut out crunch re-plug disease which means insufficient power) + clicks n pops + volume a bit lacking on the HD598

Oh the Arcam can singgggg-g-g-g-g-g-g ... just not quite as good as the MF quite definately... something is a bit recessed, only a bit but enough to detract. There is gravy spilt on the PCB somewhere re attack/decay unlike the MF very clearly on piano!

Hmmm... time to investigate amps for V90-DAC methinks.

11. sebajun

12. jason1969
    Now trying the Arcam rPAC with a very old XP desktop showed its better colours...

It does have a bit of gravy (veil), but it is very very nice gravy.
    VERY much worth an audition at the least, it is not fatiguing, just not as super-precise as the MF.

So bear in mind a powered hub may help matters / be necessary.

Like 2 pairs of headphones, it may be necessary to have two DACs :))

13. Raga Patron
    @jason1969, @sebajun   I own the V90-HPA and I agree with your reviews. The only thing I do not like about this amp is that it is somewhat lacking in bass. You guys mentioned that changing the PSU can/may improve that. Since I am a newbie, may I ask if you are talking about the power-adapter that gets plugged into electrical-outlet!

Which brand/model would you be replacing it with? Where can I get it in the US?

Thanks in advance.

14. andyj34
    Apologies for my ignorance as I'm a completely newbie to the world of headphones and DAC, but as the V90-HPA accepts USB input does this infer that V90-HPA is a DAC as well as a headphone amplifier?

Or would I better offer buying a separate DAC to feed a headphone amplifier.

Presently I listen to music using my Apple Computer using my Philips Uptown headphones.

15. sebajun

Next

Last