Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #856 of 887
Quote:
Since, they are two different dacs, they will sound different.  When you say "night and day" difference, can you tell me what those differences were and what kind of music you were listening to.  I know that Schiit gear tends to be almost artificially punchy and fun sounding.  If you were listening to Rock, I woudn't be surprised if you like the Schiit better.  The V-DAC is a great value for the money.  The Gungnir is 850 bucks, which puts it in a whole 'nother category of price range.  Just because you find something "better"....

I don't think any one is touting the V-DAC as being a thousand dollar DAC killer.  It is a really good 300 dollar DAC.  You bought close to a thousand dollar DAC - yeah, it's gonna sound better.  How much better is up for debate.  I personally do not like the hyped up sound of Schiit products.  They obviously cater to the Rock group.  Yes, they are also good value for the money, but neither are they "giant killers".  

I'm listening to a well recording folk/bluegrass recording through my V-DACII with V-PSUII and am just blown away by the detail, flow, and musicality of the this little combo.  I really am wanting for nothing....prolly helps that it's connected to a Burson Soloist - great pairing right here, man!

I listen primarily to ambient and electronica throughout the day; rock is a rarity for me anymore.

When I say "night and day," I meant that the sound was fuller and more present, and as well I felt like I was recognizing a greater level of detail in the music.  This is all subjective and take it with a grain of salt, because I didn't do extensive testing, nor do I have the vocabulary to describe what I'm (not) hearing; chalk it up to personal preference, pride of ownership, whatever.

My point point is, cumulatively, V-DAC/V-PSU II isn't cheap, and I question their performance at a $598 price point.  If you remove the V-PSU II from the mix, the DAC itself can be had for as much as $349.00, which is certainly economical; then it's a matter of sorting through the arguments for or against an external power source.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #857 of 887
Quote:

I listen primarily to ambient and electronica throughout the day; rock is a rarity for me anymore.

When I say "night and day," I meant that the sound was fuller and more present, and as well I felt like I was recognizing a greater level of detail in the music.  This is all subjective and take it with a grain of salt, because I didn't do extensive testing, nor do I have the vocabulary to describe what I'm (not) hearing; chalk it up to personal preference, pride of ownership, whatever.

My point point is, cumulatively, V-DAC/V-PSU II isn't cheap, and I question their performance at a $598 price point.  If you remove the V-PSU II from the mix, the DAC itself can be had for as much as $349.00, which is certainly economical; then it's a matter of sorting through the arguments for or against an external power source.

V-DAC is terrible for electronica but really excels with acoustic instruments, wether it be bluegrass, chamber, classical, etc..  It does not do PRAT very well or electronic music.  Actually Very hard to believe that you hear a difference in detail retrieval with electronica music.  I think any DAC will be able to let you hear all the detail that is contained in most an electronica album.  However, very well recorded classical music, which in many people's opinion is the finest available genre for high quality recordings would be more telling.  

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #858 of 887
I have to take very strong exception to your comment that the V-DAC is terrible for anything at all.

I own a [size=12.800000190734863px]Musical Fidelity V-DAC MK Version II (24 / 192 Asynchronous USB IO).  I use a [/size][size=12.800000190734863px]Pyramid PS3KX 12V PSU[/size]
[size=12.800000190734863px]with a [/size][size=12.800000190734863px]Pyramid High Power Noise Suppressor (NS-12) for my PSU needs.  It is very economical.[/size]

[size=12.800000190734863px]I listen to everything from classical, jazz, vocal, pop, rock, and more.  [/size]

[size=12.800000190734863px]My V-DAC II with the rest of my system sounds stellar.  Everyone that has heard it agrees and is amazed. [/size]

[size=12.800000190734863px]I use both USB and TOSLINK inputs and use FLAC and SACD sources.  It is totally 100% "black" in my system[/size]
[size=12.800000190734863px]with absolutely no hum, feedback, nor any noise whatsoever at maximum volumes (pegged) in my amps[/size][size=12.800000190734863px] and[/size]
[size=12.800000190734863px]my head right in front of each of my speakers. [/size]

[size=12.800000190734863px]I would challenge you and anyone else with any DAC and any price to sound better in [/size]
[size=12.800000190734863px]my system than my MF V-DAC II in my system.[/size]

My 2 cents to your "terrible" comment.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #859 of 887
Quote:
I have to take very strong exception to your comment that the V-DAC is terrible for anything at all.
(...)
My 2 cents to your "terrible" comment.

I don't guess the 'terrible' comment struck me at the time I read @MatsudaMan's reply, but I'd have to agree with you @Happydog; I never found it terrible for electronica, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to listen to it most workdays for 3+ months.

I will say that, ultimately, I found myself wanting more, and given the subjectivity at hand, maybe "wanting more" meant "more space in my wallet."  :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #860 of 887
Thanks.  I will say that to me anyway, there would be better ways to improve the overall 
sound of my system, if I had extra funds.  I love my system for now, just the way it is for
what I can afford.   If I was going to make improvements, for me, I would spend money on
even better speakers, better interconnects etc.  Everyone's situation is different.

As far as the "hum" that others have commented on, I have that problem solved with
my Pyramid PSU and Power Noise Suppressor, which in my case is far better than
an expensive PSU system.  It does require a little DIY wire stripping, but it's easy to do.

For ground loop feedback, I can also offer up that in other parts of my system - 
I'm using the Hum-X ground feedback eliminators.  I use 2 Hum-X's in my 
turntable system (1 for my turntable power directly, 1 for my full tube preamp directly
- both on separate feed lines as well).   Perhaps the Hum-X could help others.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #861 of 887
Quote:
Thanks.  I will say that to me anyway, there would be better ways to improve the overall 
sound of my system, if I had extra funds.  I love my system for now, just the way it is for
what I can afford.   If I was going to make improvements, for me, I would spend money on
even better speakers, better interconnects etc.  Everyone's situation is different.
(...)

This will be the 4th or 5th round I've been through in the audio realm "seeking nirvana."  My initial foray was with my home system and I largely did it all in one chunk, adding a few things after the fact, but also spending the maximum I possibly could afford, and then some.

For the longest time, I couldn't shake the "I can do better" feeling, which I think is only perpetuated by participating in forums such as this one, as well as reading reviews, and hearing about new gear.

I'm presently in that phase w/ my work headphone setup.

What's interesting is, for my home system, once I broke the tweaking cycle (primarily b/c of moving and a new job), once I got the system set back up, I sat (sit) there in awe at times and say "damn, I love how this thing sounds!"

I don't have the most expensive speakers Vandersteen makes, and there's their flagship line that is many times more expensive than what I paid for my 3A Signatures, but I don't feel the need to upgrade or spend more money, because I'm feeling like I'm missing out.

I definitely think there's a psychological component to audio, perhaps "keeping up with the Joneses, etc.," and I say that, as I was able to break one cycle, only to fall prey to another.  

My original point in this thread was "go ahead and get what you think you'll ultimately need," because I think stopgap measures will only lend to more upgrade mania, and ultimately spending more money.

I realize this isn't (always) feasible, but it's how I've felt often after purchasing what I knew I'd ultimately be upgrading.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #862 of 887
Hi Everyone,

I use the V-DAC II bought second-hand at ~ $200 for a few months now. By means of some recent upgrades of $50-60 now it wipes the floor with my Densen Beat 400 PLUS. Here are the changes:
1. Bought a regulated linear PSU with 2A (4A peak) current - Voltcraft FSP-1122
2. As it's humming a little bit, I have decoupled by means of 3 metal cones sticked to the bottom of the PSU and put it on 3 metal shoes to protect the shelf.
3. I use a Russ Andrews DC power cable (practically Kimber PBJ) with proper (1.3mm inner diameter) plug.
4. I have made a little "table" out of a roughly 1 cm thick wooden plate (orig. for eating purposes :) by sticking 3 pcs of similar cones on the bottom + shoes again and I sticked the V-DAC by some Blu-Tack on the top of it.
The result is simply breathtaking, especially in the lowest registers. Feeding from my Sony BD player (BDP-S370 for the record) via QED Qunex P75 digital interconnect it has clearly deeper and yet more defined bass then my Densen player (no slouch either). The dynamics are much wider just as the soundstage.

I can assure you the V-DAC is not just "Hype". Anyone stating this clearly has no real experience with this little gem.

Gyula

What cables would i need to Connect up the PSU to the vdac, anyone know?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #863 of 887
Thanks for sharing your story.  If I had unlimited disposable income, I would have a different system.
That's doesn't mean that I don't absolutely love the sound of my system now.  I may never be totally satisfied
without trying to improve it some manner, and I suspect most audio enthusiasts have a similar mindset.
I enjoy the upgrades when I do them and I think of it as a hobby / obsession. 
I love all aspects of my V-DAC II and it delivers tremendous performance for me in my system.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #864 of 887
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your story.  If I had unlimited disposable income, I would have a different system.
That's doesn't mean that I don't absolutely love the sound of my system now.  I may never be totally satisfied
(...)

Yep, you're right, and I wasn't saying that you need to be affluent to "get there;"  what I suggest is relative to the individual situation, whether we're talking about a series of $50, $100, and $200 components or $5k, $10k, and $20k, etc.

I say this across a numerous array of arenas, where I've accrued items over the years that I need to sell.

<insert GIF of beating dead horse here>

:)

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #865 of 887
Got my V-DAC MkII & Pyramid PS3KX on order. What is the preferred method to connect this guy to my laptop? Toslink or USB? I am using foobar with all FLAC, some 24/96, some 24/192.

Thx guys

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #866 of 887
Quote:
Got my V-DAC MkII & Pyramid PS3KX on order. What is the preferred method to connect this guy to my laptop? Toslink or USB? I am using foobar with all FLAC, some 24/96, some 24/192.

Thx guys

If you buy the argument about the unnecessary electrical to light conversion and back again as a source of jitter, one would want to bypass Toslink;  also, you may not want to be sharing bandwidth on your USB bus, which personal experience shows MAY be a problem at 24/192.  From what I recall, you can only do 24/96 w/ the V-DAC II via USB (on my Macbook Pro, anyhow.)  Of course, I think some of this is mitigated by async. USB and/or reclocking at the DAC.

I've always run with USB and have no complaints.  I recently upgraded from a V-DAC II/V-PSU (for sale here--shameless plug) to a Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir stack.  I've noticed when my Macbook Pro is being heavily utilized (primarily the GUI), and if I have the Gungnir DAC running 24/192, I'll get a minor pop or two as the system begins to fall behind, which I think may illustrate some of the issues.

The only question I can't answer is, if the same thing would occur using Toslink.

May 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #867 of 887
Quote:
What cables would i need to Connect up the PSU to the vdac, anyone know?

You'd use a male-to-male DC cable with a 1.3mm jack like this: http://www.russandrews.com/product-AC-DC-link-Cable-1807.htm

I'm actually looking for someone to make me one of these, only very short. The supplied cable is bothering me with the length. Does anyone know of a builder?

May 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #868 of 887
Quote:

You'd use a male-to-male DC cable with a 1.3mm jack like this: http://www.russandrews.com/product-AC-DC-link-Cable-1807.htm

I'm actually looking for someone to make me one of these, only very short. The supplied cable is bothering me with the length. Does anyone know of a builder?

I have 1.3mm jacks on hand.  I could sell you a couple, or I can make a cable in your desired length, and get that to you.  What, maybe 6-8" long is what you're looking for?

May 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #870 of 887
I have no problems with direct USB connection from Windows 7 Pro to my MK-II DAC.  The Pyramid PSU is easy to connect to the MK-II DAC.
I use USB highest quality Pangea cable to connect.  I disable my local Sound card on my Toshiba laptop and after I power on my Pyramid PSU,
I then select the Musical Fidelity MK-II DAC sound interface source.  I run Foobar 2000 with WASAPI (24 / 192 interface) component plug-in for my Output.  
You can also optionally select the MF MK-II DAC source Output within Foobar 2000 but I use WASAPI as the best source.  Sound is flawless
with this combination for me - especially with FLAC 24 bit sources at 96KHz or 192KHz
You will want to make sure you are running USB 2.0 in your windows system.  I also use a very stable Samsung fast USB 3.0 external hard drive with
proper USB 3.0 (powered) interface connections to my USB 3.0 port on my laptop.  I recommend disabling the "sleep" mode of the hard drive with
a software tool like "no sleep" that keeps it from sleeping when I'm listening to my audio system.   (Stay way from Western Digital drives IME).

I have no problems with my MK-II DAC with the USB Asynchronous I/O - no stuttering, skipping, delays, nor POPs that some other user
occasionally complain about.   I did have problems with my older MF MK-1 DAC (non Asynch) and they went away, when I thankfully upgraded
to the MF MK-II DAC version.

I also highly recommend the Pyramid High Power Noise Suppressor (Amazon has it) to connect to your Pyramid PSU.  It inexpensive and
highly effective.  Background ground hum (without it) is completely eliminated.  It's relatively easy to connect.

You mileage may vary.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back