Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #481 of 887
no, you can only connect either coaxial or optical at one time. However you can connect usb and only one coaxial or optical at the same time. you will need to manually switch inputs between usb or coaxial/optical.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #482 of 887
You can switch between, USB and Coax/Opt. I haven't tried running both Optical and Coax at the same time. I don't think it will work. I will try it though...since I have a similar interest (TV through Opt and CD through Coax).

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #483 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can switch between, USB and Coax/Opt. I haven't tried running both Optical and Coax at the same time. I don't think it will work. I will try it though...since I have a similar interest (TV through Opt and CD through Coax).

As Spore noted in the previous post, it won't work. You can physically connect them both up with live sources, but once you send a signal from one it will lock onto that input at the complete exclusion of the other until you actually physically disconnect the cable or turn the V-DAC off.

Or if you try both together then coax wins
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #485 of 887
Hello guys,

I ve connected the v-dac to my Dell notebook with usb cable. I run my flac files via foobar player. Sometimes, every half minute or so, I have little dropouts - dont know why - any help is welcome.

regards

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #486 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

I ve connected the v-dac to my Dell notebook with usb cable. I run my flac files via foobar player. Sometimes, every half minute or so, I have little dropouts - dont know why - any help is welcome.

regards

Sounds like either your CPU or harddrive had hard time to catch up or you have USB issues. I only experience those dropout when I ran start some very CPU/HD demanding software

On the other hand, if only experience short pops or clips, then I found using ASIO drivers such as ASIO4ALL solve this issue completely. This also give you some option to set long buffer length, which may help your problem.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #487 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like either your CPU or harddrive had hard time to catch up or you have USB issues. I only experience those dropout when I ran start some very CPU/HD demanding software

On the other hand, if only experience short pops or clips, then I found using ASIO drivers such as ASIO4ALL solve this issue completely. This also give you some option to set long buffer length, which may help your problem.

seems that I ve solved the problem with ASIO24, thank you.

I ve also had the cambridge dacmagic at home for testing. I think that it is also a very good dac, perhaps a little "better" than the musical fidelity. but the v-dac is easier to listen to............

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #488 of 887
So here's mine with FM caps and the LME opamp in a gold-plated socket.

Kinda funny when I turned it on for the first time after the changes it sounded brand new (i.e. like half the music is just missing
smily_headphones1.gif
) but after a couple hours its getting better.

I'm interested in testing any other ideas for improvement...

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #489 of 887
finally got a mascot linear psu to replace the v-dac stock unit.
gonna take a while to test for SQ changes (if any!)
it chucks out 11.81 v as opposed to the stock unit's 19.1 v.
it stays cool where as the stock unit nearly "glows in the dark"

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #490 of 887
I remember reading somewhere in this thread about very high output DC out of stock wall wart. Out of curiosity, I measured mine and it is 16.22 VDC. And my V-dac may be slightly warmer than by body temperature but never too warm. I got mine from Audio Advisor.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #491 of 887
(oldson) your PSU is probably regulated. This means it will have the same V under load than non loaded, something very different happens with non regulated wallwarts as the original MF unit.
Those 19 or 16V (dukja) you are measuring are unpluged I guess (=no load), so do not worry too much, but obviously the internal regulators are working harder (thus the warmer V-DAC case).

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #492 of 887
T_K I have another idea for you to try: get rid of those output caps!
Start by measuring if there is any DC offset (signal to ground before caps, tester in mV), if 'not' the just bridge them (electrolyitic NP caps C3 and C4). If there is over 10mV of DC, then we need caps here for coupling: you can replace them with a better flavour ones...
I had no time -yet- to do all this for myself, sorry to not be more helpful.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #494 of 887
Looking at the Valab thread, the guys there are using film caps in the output. Maybe we should try the same?

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #495 of 887
One cap is all you need to block DC, 1mv or 1V...

Yesterday I done and too found around 5-10mV DC before caps. Changing the dual opamp had no influence in this as expected. It is the quad opamp before the one to look for, a better unit with higher quality and better fabrication-specs will output much less DC and then we will be able to get rid of those output caps.

In the meantime yes you can put less harmful caps for the audio here, but this is a long-time discussed matter! Even a thing of taste! And there is not plenty of space... and we have to consider cost: maybe a big V-Cap will sound great but the pair may cost as much as ten times the V-DAC himself...

Me, I will wait to have time to change the quad opamp and then probably go DC-coupled all the way. Look at your amp/pre, if it is not DC-coupled (there are caps in line) you may consider bridging those caps too
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back