Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Feb 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #346 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. I am hearing detail at low volume levels that I never heard before at higher volume levels. If a definition of good clarity is a marked reduction in listening levels (around 6 dB) without any loss of detail or toe tapping enjoyement, then for me the V-DAC succeeds admirably.

Yes! I noticed how excellent the V-DAC sounds at low volumes. Very even, very full and engaging. While we all know we should listen to lower level, etc. etc...I've always felt I was missing something "forcing myself" to do so. The DAC is extremely nice at keeping all the dynamics and involvement going at low levels.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #347 of 887
I've had the V-DAC for a couple of days now, with probably only 10 hours or so on it. I'm also completely new to the DAC-world. Of course we've all been using DACs whether we know if or not, this is my first dedicated DAC.

First I love the size and build. It' looks great with my SR-71 portable amp sittin' on top. It matches the look and feel of the no-nonsense workhorse amp -- black, metal, well built and down to business. I like the blue light in the front for power and the green light next to it comes on when the USB cable is connected to the puter. Simple, effective. Also in front are the USB, Coax, and Optical inputs. The rear end has the RCA outs going in the SR-71 via a mini. It's small and it's portable, perfect for a laptop/desktop setup OR easy enough to hide with your cables if it's more "permanent."

Naturally not ever having a serious dedicated DAC in my system, this is very much a wonderful upgrade. Previously I was running out of the analog outs on my DVD player, into my Onkyo receiver, then out of the headphone jack into my SR-71. Sounds convoluted, yes, but the sound was quite nice. The receiver had a "direct" mode that bypassed all the signal processing and running out of the headphone jack, I was able to crank the receiver and get a nice crisp and powerful sound. It was this power that I was afraid of losing.

I'm happy to report this DAC delivers power. It's got a great full and very powerful sound. Also it's more balanced. It's got great bass and very detailed, and very smooth highs. The highs are not fatiguing at all. There's no glare no bite...just smooth and liquid. The treble is so gorgeous! The mids are interesting -- I've never heard mids like this. I've heard it described as creamy smooth. I couldn't agree more. There's no grain. There's a wonderfully supported and voluminous mid-range. As well the bass is certainly more detailed. I was used to the solid knock of a kick drum, but now there's more air getting pushed after that attack. There's more force and it's a richer smoother bass. There's also wonderful decay all around -- reverb is present and spacious and you can watch it fade.

The soundstaging is nicer than I'm used to. It's precise and easy to look at all the instruments. Overall there's increased visual character. In the end, I come back to three things: the clean even power, the detail/visualness, and that creamy sound signature that sparkles so beautifully. So it's been an outstanding upgrade for me. Probably the most significant upgrade I've made, with the exception of getting good headphones. And I'm happy to report the SR-71 is right there able to effortlessly take it all in and deliver it right back out -- which reminds me of why I bought that amp in the first place -- being able to take on upgrade after upgrade.

Sorry I can't compare it to other DACs, but just thought I'd share -- for what it's worth -- my experiences with the V-DAC.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #349 of 887
Hmm, since the first day i got the V-Dac i kinda feel there's something missing when it comes to rhytm/timing. And then i just tell myself it's just in my head because people have talked about prat issues here..

The V-Dac sound really good overall but for me but it's missing that last bit of musicality, i hope it can get fixed by upgrading the PSU.. or else i might end up selling it.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #350 of 887
I think I know what you mean about rhythm and timing. I do feel there's a squishiness or lack of focus in that regard. I really can't explain it. But I think I understand. Overall, the sound is spectacular though.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #351 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I know what you mean about rhythm and timing. I do feel there's a squishiness or lack of focus in that regard. I really can't explain it. But I think I understand. Overall, the sound is spectacular though.

I think what is interesting is that live performances in nearly all concert halls suffer from so-called PRaT. Infact thinking back to all those live performances I listened to over the years with the Sydney Smyphony Orchestra, 12 rows back centre of hall in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall....well I ought to have complained to management about the PRaT issues. With what, the lack of focus, plodding bass, vaguely imaged woodwind, rubbery violas and brass that always seems to come in a millisecond too late...

The problem as I see it is that so many people are used to what recordings sound like, they have all but forgotten what a live performance sounds like. Formal recording sessions often have a lot to answer for, given that they have so badly distorted our perception of what things really sound like.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #352 of 887
I have a x-ray (v1) cd player, x-p100 pre-amp and a pair of x-as100 power amps.
Does anyone anyone know if the v-dac would be a worthwhile upgrade for my set up?
MF now offer an upgrade to the x-ray for 399gbp and then there is the x-dac v8 as well.

I have options but there is no way I can audition any of these to decide which is the best way forward.

any advice gratefully received.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #353 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what is interesting is that live performances in nearly all concert halls suffer from so-called PRaT. Infact thinking back to all those live performances I listened to over the years with the Sydney Smyphony Orchestra, 12 rows back centre of hall in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall....well I ought to have complained to management about the PRaT issues. With what, the lack of focus, plodding bass, vaguely imaged woodwind, rubbery violas and brass that always seems to come in a millisecond too late...

The problem as I see it is that so many people are used to what recordings sound like, they have all but forgotten what a live performance sounds like. Formal recording sessions often have a lot to answer for, given that they have so badly distorted our perception of what things really sound like.

You see ADD, the brass is always late - this will never change....even in the best of halls.

I think people should realize that PRaT really has MUCH more to do with the quality of amplification than the source, that is unless you're using a DVD player. If you have a fast and tight amp, you won't have these so called PRaT issues with the vdac. With my setup, there is no end to the foot tapping - rhythm is fast and incisive, the beats flow. Leading edges are quick and decay naturally.

I'm not sure why I ever bought into this whole PRaT bulls%^t. Let's exorcise this PRaT demon once and for all......"This house is clean".

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #354 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ja99son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a x-ray (v1) cd player, x-p100 pre-amp and a pair of x-as100 power amps.
Does anyone anyone know if the v-dac would be a worthwhile upgrade for my set up?
MF now offer an upgrade to the x-ray for 399gbp and then there is the x-dac v8 as well.

I have options but there is no way I can audition any of these to decide which is the best way forward.

any advice gratefully received.

I also have an Xray (v1) and have tried it, and I didn't notice any improvement at all in fact I found the signatures almost the same.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #356 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people should realize that PRaT really has MUCH more to do with the quality of amplification than the source, that is unless you're using a DVD player. If you have a fast and tight amp, you won't have these so called PRaT issues with the vdac. With my setup, there is no end to the foot tapping - rhythm is fast and incisive, the beats flow. Leading edges are quick and decay naturally.

I fully agree, I have a fast amp and speakers (MusicalTechnology and ESS)
and don't experience a PRaT issue via the V-DAC.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #357 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ja99son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks DeViTTo.
What other components do you have?
Did you try both optical and coax interconnects?

I think I tried both at the time. The Xray is fed into a Denon AVCA1. I prefer the interconnect connection with Chord Chorus cables into the amp. When I tried the DAC it fed back into the AVCA1 through its tape input. Output to B&W CDM9NT speakers through Nodest solarwind cable.

I have the V-DAC for PC duties which it is fantastic. I love the Music Fidelity sound :)

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #358 of 887
I have had this unit over a month now and it is a keeper. Burn in alleviated the PRaT issue considerably and I love its tonality. I sold my Xonar D2X and for the time being I'm not searching for new source anymore.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #359 of 887
Oh man! I just put on Beck's Information cd. The V-DAC is deliverin'! This album has a very rich and dense production courtesy of Nigel Godrich - so this has always been a headphone feast. Amazing micro-details, great bass. I'm hearing things I've never heard before...and with precision and tight clarity!!!
L3000.gif

I just wish I brought my ER4Ses today...I'll have to settle for the ER4Pes. I've always found them to be boomier, a tad more congested and a little less open.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #360 of 887
I read some news about the V PSU today. Apparently it claims to be using "choke filtration", will be coming out in summer and cost 148€ in Germany (fyi the VDAC is 265€ in Germany as a reference).
The reviewer of the sample stated that you could indeed blind test the difference between stock and VPSU when used with the VDAC but still the differences were subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back