Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #256 of 887
" Hi, i just throught id try the optical in to my V-Dac but im getting really loud clicking. I've got the Transport as my XBox360 with optical out going into the V-Dac, does anyone know what this clicking is?"

V-Dac can only decode two channel sources. If you are trying to output sound in dts or dolby digital, you will get clicking noise. Did you check that the xbox is outputting sound in analogue mode instead of bitstream?

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #258 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the V-DAC today and the difference through speakers compared to my M-Audio Delta 44 sound card is profound.. I used to think these speakers were poor, but they're actually very enjoyable to listen to now. I'm intrigued to hear how the burn in will improve the sound which is already refined.

It's amazing what a source can do! The V-dAC really excels in the tonality department - things just sound right and so pleasing. Things that used to sound flat and uninteresting all of a sudden have a certain complexity to the sound. BTW, welcome to club VDAC.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #259 of 887
I am using my VDAC with the Wadia iTransport via Coax and am wondering if I can even further improve the sound with adding a so called "jitter killer".
In the past the iTransport has been reported to have a reasonable high jitter and some people with their DACs seem to have seen improvements when adding a "jitter killer" (e.g. Monarchy Audio DIP).

However I am wondering what kind of "jitter reduction" the VDAC already employs and if as such the additional effect of a jitter killer would still be significant (or existing at all) in case of the VDAC. This will probably depend on the receiver chip that processes the Coax input.

And as a side question, the manual of the VDAC states a jitter of 170ps (I think as I don't have the manual in front of me now). I wonder if that is the jitter presented internally to the DAC chip, no matter the amount of the input jitter? Or how is that figure to be understood?

Thanks a lot for your support as always
normal_smile .gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #261 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm really interested in V-DAC, but there is one important (at least for me
wink.gif
) thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet. Does it work well with Linux?

I'm using it with Linux. Works perfectly, out of the box. I've only tested it with Ubuntu 8.10, but since all distributions are basically made of the same components, any modern distribution should do.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #263 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using it with Linux. Works perfectly, out of the box. I've only tested it with Ubuntu 8.10, but since all distributions are basically made of the same components, any modern distribution should do.

Great! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #264 of 887
Well the Hi-Fi World review was not as positive as I'd hoped. Although they said the V-Dac was great for it's price, it was nevertheless an entry-level DAC that sounded like an entry-level DAC, and was only suitable as an upgrade for cheap CD and DVD players. I think my Musical Fidelity amp deserves something better. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic has now had glowing reviews in 3 of the UK's hi-fi magazines, so I think I'm going to go for that one instead. Ideally, of course, I would have auditioned both and decided for myself but unfortunately this is not possible. Hence I am relying on the reviews.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #265 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by russelk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the Hi-Fi World review was not as positive as I'd hoped. Although they said the V-Dac was great for it's price, it was nevertheless an entry-level DAC that sounded like an entry-level DAC, and was only suitable as an upgrade for cheap CD and DVD players. I think my Musical Fidelity amp deserves something better. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic has now had glowing reviews in 3 of the UK's hi-fi magazines, so I think I'm going to go for that one instead. Ideally, of course, I would have auditioned both and decided for myself but unfortunately this is not possible. Hence I am relying on the reviews.

You can always sell Your V-DAC to someone, for example, me
wink.gif

You have to remember that these ($200, give or take $100) are really entry level DACs. There are the ones that have more bang-for-the-buck factor, but in the end of the day, they are still entry level DACs. The reason why I am looking for a DAC in this price range is to replace onboard soundcard in my puter. For that, these DACs do more than enough.

And it is very unfortunate for us who can't review/test drive before buying that we have to rely on reviews. I for one do not read "professional" reviews like What Hi-Fi or any other. I read forums like these and get some real user reviews, even though they may lack detail, have ownership colored opinions and lack "professional" terms etc.

I don't meen to push You deeper in Your misery
smily_headphones1.gif
But as someone said, there are no real giant-killers out there.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #266 of 887
Quote:

I have the vdac and have compared it extensively against Arcam cd73 and it beats it hands down. I'm just wondering what they mean by cheap cd player? Anything under 1K? If that's cheap than I will admit that the vdac probably doesn't beat your typical 1K cd player. However, reading about this "entry level" shmentry level crud gets so so annoying. Please don't simply rely on this British Hifi rag stuff. Listen to actual user reviews and comparisons. All the hifi rags across the pond have been gushing about cambridge stuff for years and I have know idea why - having owned quite a few products.

In the end you will not be rewarded by the reviews but rather the sound of the product. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #267 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't simply rely on this British Hifi rag stuff. Listen to actual user reviews and comparisons. All the hifi rags across the pond have been gushing about cambridge stuff for years and I have know idea why - having owned quite a few products.

*cough* marketing money *cough*
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #268 of 887
Matsudaman does good job selling average product. Good salesman
beerchug.gif
. It took little boy to mention he could not see the Emperor's new clothes.
I am a fish trader so I know all about selling old fish as freshly caught. There is one born every day
biggrin.gif
. Matsudaman would make good fish trader and put me out of business.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #269 of 887
I guess there are those that trust the hi-fi press and those that don't. I don't have much faith in What Hi-Fi but I've relied on Hi-Fi Choice before and not been dissapointed. I don't believe that marketing money has any effect on a comparitive review in a reputable magazine... such a magazine would not survive very long. Readers will eventually realise that the products they are buying do not live up to the glowing reviews. As for British hi-fi magazines raving about Cambridge stuff, I've seen a few recent group-tests where the Cambridge product was not the winner.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #270 of 887
Quote:

I guess there are those that trust the hi-fi press and those that don't. I don't have much faith in What Hi-Fi but I've relied on Hi-Fi Choice before and not been dissapointed. I don't believe that marketing money has any effect on a comparitive review in a reputable magazine... such a magazine would not survive very long. Readers will eventually realise that the products they are buying do not live up to the glowing reviews. As for British hi-fi magazines raving about Cambridge stuff, I've seen a few recent group-tests where the Cambridge product was not the winner.

I believe what matters is do You like the DAC or not. If it sounds great and fits into your system, who the fcuk cares what hifi magazines write
smily_headphones1.gif
What comes to Dacmagic, my impression is that it is overmarketed and hyped (if those are real words..). It can be good, but it isn't the only dac in that price range. what comes to user reviews, it ain't the best either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back