Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Jan 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #211 of 887
just thought i'd mention my system as i am quite proud of this (not meaning to show off!)

headphones = hd650's
amp = sugden headmaster
dac = vdac (usb)
interconnects = ecosse maestro ma2

one thing, can anyone hear any difference between the usb, coaxial, or optical connections and does the quality of the sound card used make a difference when connecting by the coaxial/optical ports?

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #212 of 887
First post here, so hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Got myself one on order so should hopefully have it by early next week. Going from a X-FI Elite Pro to one of these, you guys think I will notice a big difference between the soundcard and a separate DAC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I wrote about the V-DAC a while ago.

"Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Lovely clean punchy highs with a neutral to warm sound, a brilliant sounding super budget DAC that will go down in Head-Fi history as the bargain of the decade at an amazing £150".

I notice you sold your one, not trying to be nosey here but was it sold more to raise funds for something better or you didn't like it anymore? You seem to think quite highly of it so was a bit surprised to see you sell it.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #213 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice you sold your one, not trying to be nosey here but was it sold more to raise funds for something better or you didn't like it anymore? You seem to think quite highly of it so was a bit surprised to see you sell it.

popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #214 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post here, so hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Got myself one on order so should hopefully have it by early next week. Going from a X-FI Elite Pro to one of these, you guys think I will notice a big difference between the soundcard and a separate DAC?

I sold it to a Head-Fier who was desperate for one and couldn't get one in his country.

I have a store at the end of my street that sells the V-DAC and went and purchased another one.
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #215 of 887
Hi guys !
Just ordered a MF V-DAC from my local retailer here in Barcelona (I had owned one, very pleased so far, but I gave it for a present to my buddy -my fault !) and -after a week wait, they told me it was no longer available. Apparently it had been dropped from the catalog in exchange for a higher line, more expensive model.
Anyone can confirm the news. Is V-Dac still in production ?
(I see several Internet retailers are advertising it as usual, but I still have doubts).

Thanks

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #216 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
popcorn.gif

lol no drama here I'm afraid
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold it to a Head-Fier who was desperate for one and couldn't get one in his country.

I have a store at the end of my street that sells the V-DAC and went and purchased another one.
icon10.gif

hehe, sounds like a good plan actually. Did you pick up yours from SuperFi?

Got my one today so will try it out in the evening. Problem I've got is I haven't got my amp sorted out yet, ordered the LD MKIII but due to the Chinese holidays Jasmine isn't shipping until the 2nd of Feb which means I'll get it like a week after that. Can't post any wanted posts yet either in the For Sale section so I'm just looking around to see if I can nab one elsewhere or hope someone puts one up for sale. Got an old Stereo amp lying around and using that to power my DT880's at the moment but I don't think I'm getting the best out of the headphones and won't really be able to hear the true quality of this DAC & headphones until I get that amp.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #217 of 887
I ordered on the 27th December from Stone Audio and I'm still waiting
frown.gif
I'm so eager to hear what it can do.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #218 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

really? I think something is wrong with your order. I ordered mine from stoneaudio(.co.uk) on the 17th of January, they checked my credit card details in a couple of days and shipped the dac on 22nd. it arrived yesterday on the 23rd.

too bad they didn't ship it with an adapter, but then again the adapter was only 5 euros and I still got the dac way cheaper than what is sells here in Finland so I'm happy.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #219 of 887
Quote:

frown.gif

have you dealt with stone audio before?
i have mailed them 3 times recently with questions about products.
not one reply!!!!!
not impressed
mad.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #220 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? I think something is wrong with your order. I ordered mine from stoneaudio(.co.uk) on the 17th of January, they checked my credit card details in a couple of days and shipped the dac on 22nd. it arrived yesterday on the 23rd.

too bad they didn't ship it with an adapter, but then again the adapter was only 5 euros and I still got the dac way cheaper than what is sells here in Finland so I'm happy.

Oh snap. Time to follow up on it.

When you say adapter, you do mean USB male-female right? Not power supply?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not one reply!!!!!
not impressed
mad.gif

This is my first time and I'm not looking forward to it given your experience. I'll ring them on Monday.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #221 of 887
Quote:

Oh snap. Time to follow up on it.
When you say adapter, you do mean USB male-female right? Not power supply?

what I meant with the adapter was the adapter for the power supply, to fit the uk plug to the schuko sockets here in finland.

Quote:

This is my first time and I'm not looking forward to it given your experience. I'll ring them on Monday.

it was the first time for me too. I guess I got lucky.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #222 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not one reply!!!!!
not impressed
mad.gif

They did not reply to my query either. Simple solution = buy elsewhere.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #223 of 887
Before Stone Audio gets a predominately soured reputation, I did email them a question about interconnects which are another item I ordered and they replied quickly. I have not brought up the order with them so the few possible reasons are they forgot about it, I wasn't informed my credit card transaction didn't succeed for some reason or it got lost in the mail. To be honest, as long as its not the latter, I'm not that bothered. I'm still listening to my music and waiting a little longer because someone slipped up is the least of my concerns (obviously, or else I would have chased them sooner).

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #224 of 887
Have had a quick go on it now and this DAC really is good. I have a decent soundcard as it is and you can't really tell a huge amount when using the speakers (I have the AEGO speakers) but via the headphones especially at higher volumes the difference is very clear, sounds so much more cleaner and detailed. Some of my mp3s sound a bit weird though via this though, I'm guessing the quality of those mp3s are just being shown up. Films also sound a lot better via this.

One thing I'm not very familiar with and maybe someone can help here on this because I don't really know much about this stuff, what would happen if I plugged my XBOX360 into this DAC via the V-DAC optical connection? I know with the PC it bypasses the soundcard via the USB and then processes the sound thus giving better quality. I'm guessing myself it won't make any difference because the sound is being processed in the XBOX anyway and then sent out. Would I be correct in thinking that?

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #225 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did not reply to my query either. Simple solution = buy elsewhere.

i remember phoning them regarding 1 query (i think it was about westone 3's), the girl i spoke to said " are you the one that emailed about this?"
"yes" i said.
"ok" she said , she gave the name of some guy, and said "he will reply to you via email"
"ok" i said, still nothing.
maybe the amount i was looking to spend was insignificant!?!?
point is , they GOT the emails, and no reply.
you can paint it which ever way you like , that is not good customer service.
anyway, what i wanted is on the way now(from elsewhere), so who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back